Ban penalties.
So these ban penalties been screwing me since day 1. In siege ranked I would lag out and that is a understandable penalty but in a game like dbd with no mmr I should not receive higher and higher ban penalties lasting 6 or so hours leaving my swf because I can’t help it. I do understand that randoms get left and will have a harder time but I notice randoms still leaving so this is pretty but trashing my swf which I just want my ol toxic dbd back.
Tagged:
Mod
Comments
DC penalties are in the game to stop players from ruining the game for the four other players that wish to play the game. The penalty is initially kept to a low number as sometimes leaving the game has to happen (stuck with a bug, irl emergency etc), however continued DC'ing will increase this time penalty.
There is an issue with this however. It does more to punish those who have internet struggles outside of their control, than it does to punish those that intentionally DC. So unfortunately, when Events happen or people would like to participate in the Tome stuff, they are unable to play due to the timer constantly stacking if loss of internet disconnects them from the game. I understand the intentions of the DC penalty, but all it truly does is cause more trouble for people that actually want to play, as at least people who intentionally DC can control when they do it.
Going to be honest; if your internet is so spotty that you're receiving DC penalties, then you are knowingly ruining the game for 4 other players on a regular basis, just like a DCer.
You're sitting there 'I know I get kicked from every 3 out of 4 matches due to my internet, but I still want to play, so screw my teammates!' Maybe not in so many words, but you are still ruining the match for other players just as much as a habitual DCer, if you're running afoul of the penalty.
however, even if you are having internet issues you are still spoiling the game for the 4 other players. Unfortunately, as heartless as this might sound (not intended to), it is your responsibility to ensure that you have reliable internet to play online games.
I think for a lot of people, though, their experience goes:
I don't think that a lot of people think about what's going on between all these machines to make a connection because these days they seem so easy. Unfortunately, though, sometimes it's not something that a player can really do anything about so they figure the larger entity, the game developer, should do something. It's never easy picking apart possible router problems or WiFi signal problems or ISP issues that the ISP also doesn't care to fix...
It does indeed sound heartless, as your essentially saying one should not play online games with friends if they have spotty internet. Not everyone can afford god tier internet that will keep you connected at all times. But, unfortunately, that's always the arguments from people: get better internet, get a better pc. Always a great argument for people who only want to be able to play games with their friends and not feel alone.
I think the ban penalties could do with ramping up less harshly, or clearing more frequently. I've had internet problems the night before and maybe gotten up to a 30 minute penalty and then have problems the next day, a completely different session, and my first internet flicker gets me a 1 hour ban.
Sorry but you have to think of the other players, too.
Why should they be punished with someone DCing every 2 out of 3 matches simply because that person really wants to play? You're acting like it's unfair to the one person with spotty internet, and they should be allowed to ruin the match for 4 other people.
If your 'net sucks, it's not the other player's faults, and they should not have to get stuck with someone selfish enough to log in KNOWING their net is spotty & will probably drop them. It's called 'thinking of others'.
You act like it's only one person that has this issue. I've seen numerous people on Twitter complain about this exact issue. It's not only the internet drops causing dc penalty, but game crashes themselves, or even server issues kicking people from the game. My complaint is more about the DC penalty not working fully as intended. I can understand the 'thinking of others' part, I'm not denying that, but there are too many issues with the bans themselves. Internet issues was an example of all the different issues there is with it. But, it's clear now that it doesn't matter what is said.
It happens. No game is flawless. I have never seen a game that did not crash, or servers that did not have hiccups.
The thing is that the people having problems? They are the minority. And the people who would rage-quit? They are the majority.
We saw it with the last few weeks; I had 1 out of 7 games or so actually play to completion, and that was only when I was losing as Killer. The second a match went in my favor; DCs across the board.
That is unhealthy for a game's existence. If no one sticks around for matches where they are losing; no match will complete. If no matches complete; no one can play. They leave reviews that there's no point in buy the game because people ragequit if they start to lose, and the game dies.
This is why there has to be a quit penalty. Sometimes it catches legit crashes, but I would bet money (if I had any) that, for every 1 person eating a 5 minute penalty due to software/hardware/internet issues; it's catching AT LEAST 10 people pulling the plug because they were losing.
And I get that, I do. But I think we can both agree that there does have to be something done to try and fix it so that it doesn't catch those legitimate issues and punish those people. I've see coders say that the devs can code it so that it can register people actually suffering issues prior to getting disconnected, they just choose not to or can't figure it out.
yet people still kill themselves on first hook for the same effect so what does dc penalties really stop?
I need a source on those coders, because, from my coding experience, it's impossible to tell a disconnect apart.
Game crash? Alt-F4 would ALSO look like a crash.
Internet crashed? Pulling the plug/Shutting off wi-fi would ALSO look like an internet crash.
It is not possible to know WHY someone lost connection. No program I can think of and no code I can think of can read intent, or tell 1 'pulled plug' from another 'router randomly cycled' or 'power went out'.
So whoever told you the devs can code a magical program to tell these apart was lying.