Totem spawns really need to be adjusted

I just played a survivor match on the Silent Hill map, and I remember thinking at the start of how much it was going to suck to find totems since they are so hard to find on this map. But thanks to the crappy RNG, me and two other survivors spawned literally right next to Ruin. I felt so bad for the killer because the totem didn't even last 10 seconds, and to add insult to injury it was a fairly new killer too.

Simply put, not only should survivors not spawn next to totems, but totems shouldn't spawn anywhere near a survivor's objective. It's reasons like this why I hate playing with hexes as the Killer.

Comments

  • I don’t think hex totems should light up until you’re closer to them.

  • @SweetTerror said:

    I just played a survivor match on the Silent Hill map, and I remember thinking at the start of how much it was going to suck to find totems since they are so hard to find on this map. But thanks to the crappy RNG, me and two other survivors spawned literally right next to Ruin. I felt so bad for the killer because the totem didn't even last 10 seconds, and to add insult to injury it was a fairly new killer too.

    Simply put, not only should survivors not spawn next to totems, but totems shouldn't spawn anywhere near a survivor's objective. It's reasons like this why I hate playing with hexes as the Killer.

    High risk, very high reward.

    No need to change

  • High risk, no reward. When they get cleansed 10 seconds into the match. I tell ya what I have learned a lot about survivor spawns since Lethal Pursuer was released and let me tell ya they need to not have survivors spawn by gens or totems.

  • What about that scenario could yield a very high reward? Yes hexes are a high risk, but that high risk gets completely thrown out the window if a survivor spawns right next to it.

  • I play both sides, but freely admit to being a Killer Main. It's something like 30-70. You sound like a Survivor Main who never plays Killer, from how flippantly you discard the conversation. That's fine, but you need to consider how what you say impacts the other side. If someone just said "Loop better. No need to change." if you complain about being facecamped does that in anyway help the discussion? No, it doesn't.

    The theory is that Hex Totem are High Risk High Reward, but in practice they wind up being All Risk No Reward the majority of the time. It is the exception that Ruin stays up for more than one or two gens.

    Survivors should never spawn with a Totem in their line of sight. Totems should never be out in the open, not even hidden from one side. Totems should never spawn right next to a generator. Survivors should actually be forced to either bring in a tool to find totems, be that a Perk or a Map that can track Totems, or spend time actually looking for them instead of just being given them for free. We've got three Perks now that help find Totems, the only good reason not to run at least one of them is that you don't have them because of the Bloodweb being the Bloodweb. "But my Meta build!" "But my second chance Perks!" are not good reasons. I always bring Small Game or Detective's Hunch when I can, and if I don't have either on the Survivor I'm playing I don't complain about Totems, I complain about not having the right tools to deal with the Totems.

    When I get hit with a Hex Perk as Survivor I don't complain about the Perk itself, I complain about not being able to deal with the problem or that my "teammates" didn't deal with the problem. I'm one of those "Do bones" types of people, I try to end each match with them all cleansed. That is not to say I don't find some Hex Perks to be problematic to the game, NOED is a real issue that needs to be addressed in some way that doesn't cripple it for example*. But the same is true on the other side, Hex Perks and Totems in general are just in a really bad spot right now where they don't serve the purpose they were put into the game to serve: a second objective for Survivors. They are too easy to find right now and even then people still ignore then if they don't glow.

    I have had games where Ruin stays up all five gens, but it was mostly because I was either going against a Low Pressure Killer, such as Trapper, or was playing a Low Pressure Killer and the Survivors didn't need to remove Ruin to get the gens done. I've also had games against High Pressure Killers like Nurse, Spirit, or a really good Blight with Ruin in play and they get a 4k before even a single gen is done because they could pressure people off gens to let Ruin do the work.

    As it is right now Hex Totems are either No Risk All reward or All Risk No Reward with very little High Risk High Reward. There are some changes that could make them more what they were intended to be and probably the best option is changing the spawns so Survivors have to hunt for them at least a little bit instead of just having them be right out in the open next to gens.

    Personally I like the idea that Hex Totems don't "light up" so a Survivor has no way of just knowing a Totem is powering the Hex or not and have to cleanse any Totem they see until the Hex they are under goes away. Or if the Killer is running even one Hex all Totems light up until all Hexes are removed.

    *It's a bit to the side of the main discussion but the change I would make to NOED is that once the Exit Gates are powered all Survivors are just straight up told that NOED is in play without having to wait for someone to get hit first.

  • The irony is that undying was created to solve the 'problem' of poor totem spawns, but then they nerfed the solution before fixing the problem. Big brain time.

  • *laughs in Hex: Blood Favor*

  • If they won't fix the spawns, at least fix when they become hex totems. My proposal is that hexes are only applied to dull totems once their effect has taken place. For example: first time a survivor lets go of a generator, Ruin applies to a dull totem. Or first hitting a survivor with a basic attack, Third Seal is placed on a totem. And so forth.

  • except there is no reward because the survivors spanwed on top of that

  • @Guest1567432 said:

    High risk, no reward. When they get cleansed 10 seconds into the match. I tell ya what I have learned a lot about survivor spawns since Lethal Pursuer was released and let me tell ya they need to not have survivors spawn by gens or totems.

    Soon they'll nerf lethal pursuer and say only the obsession can be seen just so we can't keep seeing how broken the spawns are lol