Why Do Rifts Close?

So I took about a year off from DbD. I thought that cosmetics and such from past rifts would be in the shop, but unfortunately they aren't. That got me to wondering, why do rifts close at all? Why not let people buy into the rift and have a set time limit from the day they purchase it to finish it, and either allow rift fragments from the corresponding tome to be earned, or allow them to earn an increased amount of fragments from normal game play. Seems like it would keep things interesting while also making BHVR more money.

Comments

  • They close so they can sell the goodies later in the shop

  • they are coming back to stor after a year when the said rift ended plust they dont relase the recolors

  • Rifts close because that's how the Battlepass monetisation scheme works in any game. You drive up demand to make purchases by giving customers a limited window to obtain the goods. It's classic marketing.

    I thought that cosmetics and such from.past rifts would be in the shop, but unfortunately they aren't.

    They do actually come to the shop eventually, after "a minimum of six months since the Rift closed". I believe all of Rift 1 is in there, and they're in-progress through Rift 2.

  • They've released a bunch of skins from previous rifts, though.

    Most complete outfits up to the second one are on the store, and some community skins. (Feng's one and Clown's Mr. Puddles)

  • @ReverseVelocity said:

    They've released a bunch of skins from previous rifts, though.

    Most complete outfits up to the second one are on the store, and some community skins. (Feng's one and Clown's Mr. Puddles)

    I must not have seen some of them then. I knew a few were but I see some in-game that aren't there.