Trapper is bad?

I hear this a lot on the forum and, I suppose if you are comparing him to a fast mobile Killer who can pressure gens and slug like crazy, then yeah, he can't do that but, he's not meant to do that.

I personally dont like facing Trapper. I feel like I can't run and I avoid optimal pathing and looping, tall grass, ect. It probably gets in my head more than anything when I realize it's Trapper.

I've seen teams fall apart over a couple well placed traps and, I've seen 3 gens pop before he ever gets a hook. RNG can be a factor, slow set up, and Luck buffs on Survivors can ruin your traps.

I'm not sure how he should be buffed though, perhaps his traps start the match armed? You might not like the placement but, it could help if RNG is good to you.

Comments

  • In comparisson to how the game evolved? Yeah he is horrendous. He is a simpler killer for a simpler time. He is tremendously outdated.

  • Yeah, he's in the F tier of killer compared to just about everyone. And pray to the Lord, Entity, or whatever deity you worship for buffs.

  • He's a list as long as your arm for weaknesses. Maps, OoO, SWF, Small game to name a few, plus the RNG elements that hurts him. He'd move up a few places in the tier list if he could carry more traps as basekit and the RNG trap placement + escape times we're fixed more favourably. Perhaps traps could be stored in lockers and he can pick up 3 at a time.

  • @stikyard said:

    I hear this a lot on the forum and, I suppose if you are comparing him to a fast mobile Killer who can pressure gens and slug like crazy, then yeah, he can't do that but, he's not meant to do that.

    I personally dont like facing Trapper. I feel like I can't run and I avoid optimal pathing and looping, tall grass, ect. It probably gets in my head more than anything when I realize it's Trapper.

    I've seen teams fall apart over a couple well placed traps and, I've seen 3 gens pop before he ever gets a hook. RNG can be a factor, slow set up, and Luck buffs on Survivors can ruin your traps.

    I'm not sure how he should be buffed though, perhaps his traps start the match armed? You might not like the placement but, it could help if RNG is good to you.

    Starting with traps armed I think would be really strong. The game where I run Iri Brick (traps reset every 30 secs) is a very strong add-on and I have got numerous catches with those traps before I have got a chance to pick them up. Trapper has some strong add-on combos and with corrupt (time to set-up) can be very dangerous. Basement trapper is a machine and can take down teams very easy if the trapper is good and the team is does not have luck on their side. I personally would be happy just being able to start with more traps as I feel he's unplayable without at least a yellow bag. So maybe he could start with more or just not have a limit all together to the carry amount.

  • Buffing his trap capacity seems like an easy fix that many have suggested. I wonder why BHVR has held back on this? Kill rate too high?

  • @stikyard said:

    Buffing his trap capacity seems like an easy fix that many have suggested. I wonder why BHVR has held back on this? Kill rate too high?

    Their stats are not the only consideration for balance, if they were then Nurse would be buffed(statistically the weakest killer) and Pig would be nerfed (iirc she´s the 3rd strongest in terms of kills), so it can´t be that. My guess would be they just don´t care enough which is a shame. Isn´t he like the mascot of dbd?

  • @stikyard said:

    Buffing his trap capacity seems like an easy fix that many have suggested. I wonder why BHVR has held back on this? Kill rate too high?

    Maybe? Problem is kill rate is a terrible way to determine some/most of the killers strength. 2 hooks but those 2 hooks resulting in 2 kills I'm sorry but is a ######### game. 9 hooks resulting in 1 kill is a good game you just didn't target someone out quick enough/or refused to do it. There are so many variable to kill rate not sure why they would use it. Not to mention even if the survivors smoke through the gens and play optimal if your a good killer and understand endgame hooks be able to kill 1 no matter what. Whether they leave the one you catch, hook trade, etc, at the very least one. Even if you play poorly whole match and gens are done in 3-4 minutes you should get one. That's not a good game though, if the team ends up not leaving them and gives you 3-4 kills in a game where technically you should have got none. 4 kills to trappers kill count in a horrible game. Point being to many variable for kill count to be used. We all know who is weak and who is not and so do they. Buff trapper damn it.

  • It’s funny, since Trapper is extremely weak right now, but used to be even worse. He was previously unable to reset traps on the floor, so if you were at max capacity, there’s nothing you could do until you weren’t. Placing traps also used to take much longer, and the escaping system was much more RNG reliant than it is now.

  • His power is the precise opposite of the meta. He wastes his whole early game getting set up, then spends the rest of the trial watching a grand total of none of his traps work because the survivors aren't stupid enough to bother looping a Trapper and just hold W and predrop pallets instead.

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    It’s funny, since Trapper is extremely weak right now, but used to be even worse. He was previously unable to reset traps on the floor, so if you were at max capacity, there’s nothing you could do until you weren’t. Placing traps also used to take much longer, and the escaping system was much more RNG reliant than it is now.

    The meta was different, trials were longer, the early game was less impactful, and the trap RNG change was actually just a nerf.

  • Trapper is a weak killer but getting a trap in the right place and win the game, he can have massive snowball potential it's just rare and often costs a lot of set up time.

  • @MadLordJack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2305816#Comment_2305816

    The meta was different, trials were longer, the early game was less impactful, and the trap RNG change was actually just a nerf.

    I’m not saying he was worse then, but if the same Trapper was in the game now, it would make him even weaker

  • Trapper is not bad, he just isn't OP and you can't expect a 4k so killers rate him as bad. He is one of the most fun killers to play as and play against, because you know the person playing him wants a challenging, fair match. Not easy - I win - mode, like so many other killers have come to expect with their S tier of choice.

  • @WexlerWendigo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2305825#Comment_2305825

    I’m not saying he was worse then, but if the same Trapper was in the game now, it would make him even weaker

    I know, but you've also got to look at the game that exists around the killer. Doctor used to be considered one of the best after his buff, now people forget he exists despite nothing but a buff.

    In Trappers case, he was stronger a year ago because people looped tiles and long grass was everywhere.

  • Trapper is weakest killer in game. Trickser is lucky, there is worse killer than him.

  • @stikyard said:

    Buffing his trap capacity seems like an easy fix that many have suggested. I wonder why BHVR has held back on this? Kill rate too high?

    He's a 4k machine against rookies. They always fall for the basement game, experienced survivors don't/can work around it

  • @Northener1907 said:

    Trapper is weakest killer in game. Trickser is lucky, there is worse killer than him.

    Trickster and Pig is lucky. But yes Trapper is the worst overall.