As a new player... I dont understand this community or this game

So as someone who is new to this game, I am noticing a few things about killers. They really all play like they will honestly become Esports famous from slugging and camping, and since I noticed this games matchmaking is hot garbage, new players really have no chance.

A few things that I honestly think could benefit this game are to pause a hook's damage if a killer camps you on said hook. I understand that survivors could camp the hook as well luring the killer closer to pause the kill, but that also leaves you open to being killed yourselves.

Damage? It makes no sense in this game. 1 hit and you are either crawling, or slowed. I can see possibly being hooked once and then being slow, or being hit 2-3 times and being slowed. But 1? What is that? Also, do killers inherently move faster? or does it just seem as such?

Comments

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2288188#Comment_2288188

    No, it doesn't force killers to allow saves, you can still intercept. You just can't squat the hook anymore.

    And if a survivor is looping you around the hook with 'no consequences', then they could loop you elsewhere where there would be the exact same consequences, with the one exception that there'll be 3 survivors working on gens as opposed to one of them dangling on the hook the entire time. The issue isn't the hook timer slowing, it's you getting looped for what is apparently 80+ seconds.

    And all of that can be fixed by making the hook timer progress as normal when the killer is in a chase and for 10 seconds after it to cover spotty detection.

    Fairness can factor into the wider picture. Loads of killers are complaining about high gen speeds, but nothing can be slowed down because any slowdown would be a direct and substantial buff to camping as a strategy. If camping is nerfed harshly enough, the game can be slowed down overall to give killers more breathing room.

    Camping is holding the entire game hostage, not just that one sucker on the hook.

    Okay, man. You're clearly biased and don't play Killer at all, so we'll end this conversation here.

  • @GrimmGaliard said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2288461#Comment_2288461

    Killer would only know that if he was already camping or if he could tell the timer was moving slower. Him going to find another survivor will at the very least stop the face camp. Literally nothing would change in that scenario.

    you underestimate how fast survivors go to the hook. and how willing the are to literally stay there despite being in a chase.

  • @van9684 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2287840#Comment_2287840

    See you can see here. You asked a question (op) and this response is all making excuses for bad behavior and one sided game fun. You’ll see replies like this most of the time on here.

    Can you read?

    Both sides do things that are not fun for the other. How is it one sided, based on your responses in now multiple threads it seems like you are one sided. Play both sides and then you might start to see the nuances of the game. The two sides have opposing goals...

  • @Alice_pbg said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2288499#Comment_2288499

    you underestimate how fast survivors go to the hook. and how willing the are to literally stay there despite being in a chase.

    It. Literally. Changes. Nothing.

  • @Kalinikta said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2288497#Comment_2288497

    Can you read?

    Both sides do things that are not fun for the other. How is it one sided, based on your responses in now multiple threads it seems like you are one sided. Play both sides and then you might start to see the nuances of the game. The two sides have opposing goals...

    Honestly, don't bother. All his posts are the same negative tone how killers are op and unfair, filling in for Sluzzy.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2288485#Comment_2288485

    Right, but why gather any information in the first place?

    Genrush is optimal. Waiting for some other Surv to get hit before moving to Hook is optimal. You mention that waving is no longer very clear, which is correct. So basically: Sitting on a Gen until the Killer comes to you, or someone else gets Injured is the optimal strategy as Solo.

    Which is basically hurting Killers that don't camp if they're not that great at getting into a chase/finding a Survivor, and is the optimal strategy against Killers that do camp.

    This, to me, seems a bit problematic.

    Hurting a killer that's not great at doing what the killer is literally supposed to be doing?

  • @deckyr said:

    it really feels like you need to learn to have fun while not winning.

    i'm sorry to say it, but it's true. dbd is a lot more fun when you can recognise a good game while losing it.

    Maybe say that to the 99% killer complaint posters on here lol. Pot meet kettle my friend.

  • @Heartbound said:

    Killers do move faster, but getting hit by a killer gives you a burst of speed. Really at the start it's a lot easier for killers, but as you rank up with survivor you start meeting people that can carry the game. It's all about risk management and a roll of the dice. Surviving is a team effort, but pipping or winning is on you individually. Just because you get sacrificed doesn't mean you lost.

    To understand the community, well, here's how I feel as killer.

    My friend, you have met a terrible, terrible demise. But, uh, y'know, I-I don't feel too bad about it. After all, if...if it weren't from me, it would've just been from someone else, y'know? I guess what I'm trying to say is, life...life goes on. W-well, from—for everyone else, life goes on. Not...not for you. You're...you're dead.

    But that's neither here nor there. It reminds me of one summer day in the park. I was having just a delightful picnic with my good friend Orville. And I said to him, I said, 'Orville, I...I have a story.' And he said to me, 'What's the significance of the story?' And...I said to him, 'Orville, not every story has to have significance, y'know? Sometimes, a...y'know, sometimes, a story's just a story. You try to read into every little thing, and find meaning in everything anyone says, you'll just drive yourself crazy. Had a friend do it once. Wasn't pretty.

    We talked about it for years. And then not only that, but...you'll likely end up believing something you shouldn't believe, thinking something you shouldn't think, o-o-or assuming something you shouldn't assume. Y'know? Sometimes,' I said, 'a story is-is just a story, so just be quiet for one second of your life and eat your sandwich, okay?' Of course, it was only then I'd realized I'd made sandwiches, and...poor Orville was having such difficulty eating it! Elephants have those clumsy hands, y'know? Actually, I-I suppose that's the problem. They don't have hands at all, do they? They're f—they're all feet! And I-I couldn't imagine anyone asking me to eat a sandwich with my feet. Now, if I recall correctly, there was a bakery nearby. I said to him, 'Orville, let me go get you some rye bread.' Now, I'm unsure if elephants enjoy rye bread, but I assure you that Orville does. Now, this was on a Tuesday, which was good, because rye bread was always fresh on Tuesday. They made sourdough bread on Monday, and threw it out Wednesday... Or rather, they sold it at a discount for people wanting to feed it to the ducks, and then, prob'ly at the end of the day, finally, they threw it all out. I-I don't recall.

    I do remember a man who would bring his son to the bakery every Wednesday, and...then go feed the ducks. He would buy all of the sourdough bread. Of course, y'know, you're not supposed to feed the ducks sourdough bread at all. It swells up in their stomach, and then they all die. At, uh, at least...at least, that's what I've heard. Y'know, I-I never saw any ducks die myself, but I did notice a substantial decrease in the duck population over the course of a few years. I just never thought to stop the man and tell him that he was killing the ducks by feeding them sourdough bread! And if you want my opinion on the matter—heh, and I told Orville this as well—if you wanna feed ducks, or birds of any kind, for that matter, it's best to buy seed. I mean, when you think about it, breads of any sort don't occur in nature. They don't grow on trees o-or spring up from the bushes. I don't think birds know what to do with bread. What was I saying? Oh oh, yes yes. So I bought Orville some rye bread. What a fine day it was.

    Anyway to make a long story short, the more you play the better you get. Try to soak in the horror atmosphere and enjoy it while you can. When you stop being scared it becomes a lot sillier.

    I swear to god if you wrote the entirety of Mr.Hippos rant from scratch you have the persistence and willpower of a god.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2288556#Comment_2288556

    Conditioning Survivors to always sit on a Gen when they could be moving to heal a Survivor and offsetting time into more interactive aspects of the game.

    You said it hurts killers that don't camp if they aren't that great of doing the one thing they're supposed to do. Mate, if a killer isn't great at being a killer, the thing that's hurting them is that they aren't great at being a killer.

  • @Sabraiz said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2288215#Comment_2288215

    Just like the killer has to constantly assume every survivor is running DS, Unbreakable, Dead Hard and brought the kitchen sink with them for good measure. That's part of the game, gathering information from what you are seeing in the match.

    All perks for tunneling and slugging. I guess we know how you play killer lol.

  • @IlliterateGenocide said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2287615#Comment_2287615

    i think the injured run animation feels sluggish, thats probs why they feel like it is...

    It is. You move at 90%

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2288570#Comment_2288570

    Yeah, see. there's that e-sports mindset Survivors are complaining about.

    Listen, Tunneling and Camping are just as viable and necessary as sitting and spinning on a gen. You do not get to complain about only one.

    I'm glad that it's a choice for Survivors/Killers. But it's clearly not an interesting one for either side.

    It's apples and oranges. You're supposed to do gens, it's what the survivor goal is. Multiple gens. Killer goal is to hook and kill the survivors. Multiple survivors.

    Unless the killer IS camping, then you aren't just "sitting and spinning" on a gen. The killer should be checking them, chasing you off of it and defending them so you don't have a chance to get out. This isn't an "e-sports" mindset, it's the literal objective of the game.

  • @van9684 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2288455#Comment_2288455

    All perks for tunneling and slugging. I guess we know how you play killer lol.

    Yea you know how I play killer I guess, I tunnel if I have to, sometimes you just need to force back the momentum of the match, "camp" if survivors are obvious about rescuing before I even get the chance to leave.

    Sometimes the tunneling happens by accident, sometimes because the rescuer hides or runs to a super safe tile while the other survivor is left to fend for him/herself.

    From your posts I can see how you play, die super easily and then go and whine on the forum.

    That's a downright lie. You always move at 100%, 4.0 m/s.

  • @Luckyz17 said:

    So as someone who is new to this game, I am noticing a few things about killers. They really all play like they will honestly become Esports famous from slugging and camping, and since I noticed this games matchmaking is hot garbage, new players really have no chance.

    A few things that I honestly think could benefit this game are to pause a hook's damage if a killer camps you on said hook. I understand that survivors could camp the hook as well luring the killer closer to pause the kill, but that also leaves you open to being killed yourselves.

    Damage? It makes no sense in this game. 1 hit and you are either crawling, or slowed. I can see possibly being hooked once and then being slow, or being hit 2-3 times and being slowed. But 1? What is that? Also, do killers inherently move faster? or does it just seem as such?

    I have to agree some killers do really play sweaty. But once you get to a higher level some survivors squads do play really sweaty as well. But I don't think it time should pause when a killer is camping. maybe time should go slower if a killer is camping, if the survivors wants it to.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2288595#Comment_2288595

    An e-sports mindset is the optimization of Objective completion. So, yes, it is. It's not necessarily a bad thing, unless you complain about it in such a way as to be a hypocrite. (regarding Camping/Tunneling/Gen prioritization)

    The question here is if you like that (or are at least impartial). If you do, no further arguments from me. If you don't, then we can discuss.

    I simply find that the optimal approach for each of these Objectives is quite literally to remove as much gameplay from the other side as possible: As a Survivor, get Gens done as fast as possible or use a Key, and as Killer, try to get a single Survivor out as fast as possible, get a 4-man slug.

    And that part of what contributes to that is Survivors by default having little information on if a Safe unhook is possible. Now, I don't think it should be given freely, but at the moment the Hooked Survivor waving their arms to signal the Killer is leaving/there is so informal of an approach that it's generally useless.

    Calling it an e-sports mindset is still incorrect. Or just a needless and derogatory term, because it's literally what you're supposed to be doing. It'd be like if we were playing Rocket League and you said I had an e-sports mindset because I tried to get a goal. So I suggest you maybe not rely on that term to brush off relevant rebuttals.

    Also, Kindred. Premonition. Even a broken key with an add-on can give that information. The thing is, you as the killer can not tell when they have it. You could be sitting there camping complaining about "e-sports mindsets" when really they could have just gathered the information necessary to deem that you're camping and it's a trap.

    You're getting away from my actual problem with your initial response: You think it's hurting a killer that is bad at what a killer should do. Can you not see how nonsensical it is? That's like saying a survivor getting chased is hurting the survivor not great at hiding. Or getting downed is hurting a survivor not great at fleeing. Or skill checks are hurting survivors not great at skill checks. These are all areas you are SUPPOSED to improve at. You can not improve at being camped.

  • @Luckyz17 Try killer for a little while. You will see that the survivors are just as inclined to be jerks, but there are four of them in the game.

    This is a casual game, so you will enjoy it more if YOU don't go into it thinking that you will live every match (or ANY match) or that you will sacrifice four survivors (or ANY survivors). Just do your part as best you can and most importantly, have fun!

    Also, don't be a jerk, there are too many of those in the game already. Don't do things like but dance after dropping a pallet or at the exit gate, and don't hit survivors on the hook or tease survivors with the hatch. These things are toxic.

    Some camping tips. If the killer is a dedicated camper some perks that will help you mess them up are Borrowed Time, Kindred, and Decisive Strike. The best strategy to deal with camping is to just finish the gens and leave the game. It sucks for the one or two players but you should be able to escape if you don't reward them with an attempted save.

    As killer the best way to camp is Insidious with Cannibal in the basement. Find a willing survivor to start, hook them in the basement. Hide around the corner and wait for the others to show up. Kindred defeats Insidious, but Borrowed Time doesn't protect against the two hit chainsaw. Decisive strike will give the bait a chance to get away unless you wait it out. Survivors playing together should counteract this type of camping, but they ALWAYS think they are better at the game than they actually are, so their comms can have mixed results.

    Another tip I doubt anyone mentioned but you asked. Not all killers are faster than survivors. Some of them run at pretty much the same speed as you. Against the slower killers you can run around a single large object and unless they have a power to reach you, like nurse teleporting or shape powering up, they aren't going to catch you without playing mind games (like doubling back). Nemesis and Shape are really bad at this but like I just said, you could end up giving them more power by not trying to escape.

  • @awustzdn said:

    This gets suggested every few days and every few days people like you need to be reminded that BHVR tried it in the past, survivors abused it to the point that it had to be removed.

    I didn't even think of it like that yeah that's a tough situation

  • Because unless the survivor is looping the hook, which they usually don't in my games, then camping is punished.

    If you say survivors loop hooks, maybe they do in your game. Then nothing changes. When they don't do that, something does change. It's that simple.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2288673#Comment_2288673

    I'm talking about the time period between when the Killer is running off to the first gen on their Patrol after unhook (information perks) and the first Damage instance, and the time a Survivor without an info tool spends on a gen when they would otherwise, with the same information provided by an info source as you mention, have been moving to the Hook already. Generally speaking between 15-30s. The gen progress taking priority over Survivor state reset. And how this promotes gen focus and the increased effectiveness of gen regression perks.

    If a survivor stays injured, they're easier to find and only one shot from a kill. That's the tradeoff. Camping promotes gen focus and is easy to see with a perk like Kindred. That's why you are supposed to put pressure on generators.

    Gen regression or blocking perks are because gens are done really fast. Which is maybe a problem but I'm not sure adding more time to them will be balanced.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2288828#Comment_2288828

    I'm talking about going for the Unhook in general, not healing afterward. That's more of an argument for taking the time to hide n' heal. I'm referring to the ambiguity right after Hook, where you can't really tell if the Hooked Survivor is signaling "Unhook me", or "Killer's Camping" (or simply doing nothing). And you might as well just juice the Survivors Sacrifice timer while on a Gen until you actually figure it out by another Survivor getting Injured, or the Timer getting really close to stage 2. (Or being close to the Hook in the first place)

    Sure, a Patrolling Killer will be able to put pressure on another Survivor/Gen, but if the other two are sitting hard on a Gen until someone is shown as in chase/or being Injured, that's just time loaded into pumping gens instead of only one Survivor on a Gen and the other moving in for the Unhook.

    Kindred. But also the fact that the survivors don't want to go for the hook is just an individual decision. They are supposed to be doing gens and taking the risk of the save when they know it's not safe is just not the smartest decision to make. Even then, I don't see how it's a problem. They will eventually have to leave to unhook the Surv if they don't want him to die or go into second phase. Going for the unhook early is far more risky than staying on your gen, because you have time before he hits second phase. Removing two survivors from gens at once is a good thing. You are cutting their effectiveness in half while also furthering your own objective.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2288939#Comment_2288939

    At the same time, staying on a gen and letting the timer drain runs the risk of actually being against a good Killer getting a Hook and circling back, or a Proxying Killer being able to shove Survivors off to force the 2nd stage after getting in hits/a down. And yes, of course, Kindred. However having a perk requirement isn't the best decision, nor would Kindred basekit be a good decision based on the amount of extra information it gives

    Give Survivors a method of signaling "Help Me!" or "It's Here!" while on Hook.

    Survivor lack of communication is part of the game. I'd personally rather just a punish for camping rather than giving more ways to communicate. But that's just me.

    Also, Kindred is invaluable for solo survivor imo. Really glad they buffed it.

  • It's a psychological thing:

    In A LOT of societies children are raised to thing they MUST always triumph over others, that they are worthless if they don't. and not just triumph, but devastatingly triumph.

    Thus, games in which they can easily feel like they triumphed over others, because the game does not require any fairness or skill to declare them 'winner', are games these shits love and which they latch onto.

    Much to the dismay of normal people.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2288998#Comment_2288998

    Normally I'd agree, but just wanting to punish camping in such a manner is simply removing player agency.

    Camping removes player agency for the camped individual. The person can still camp, that's their choice. That's their agency. I'm not saying make it impossible, just make it even worse to do.

  • @van9684 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2287796#Comment_2287796

    Maybe say that to the 99% killer complaint posters on here lol. Pot meet kettle my friend.

    i do. i say it to everyone.

    this survivor vs killer war is the most irritating thing in the world. you try to post some sense on the forums and someone shoots you down accusing you of being on one side of it trying to get digs at the other side. it's insane. it's actually mentally unhealthy. take a goddamn break.

  • Killers do move faster than survivors. Some move faster than others.

  • @kisfenkin said:

    @Luckyz17 Try killer for a little while. You will see that the survivors are just as inclined to be jerks, but there are four of them in the game.

    This is a casual game, so you will enjoy it more if YOU don't go into it thinking that you will live every match (or ANY match) or that you will sacrifice four survivors (or ANY survivors). Just do your part as best you can and most importantly, have fun!

    Also, don't be a jerk, there are too many of those in the game already. Don't do things like but dance after dropping a pallet or at the exit gate, and don't hit survivors on the hook or tease survivors with the hatch. These things are toxic.

    Some camping tips. If the killer is a dedicated camper some perks that will help you mess them up are Borrowed Time, Kindred, and Decisive Strike. The best strategy to deal with camping is to just finish the gens and leave the game. It sucks for the one or two players but you should be able to escape if you don't reward them with an attempted save.

    As killer the best way to camp is Insidious with Cannibal in the basement. Find a willing survivor to start, hook them in the basement. Hide around the corner and wait for the others to show up. Kindred defeats Insidious, but Borrowed Time doesn't protect against the two hit chainsaw. Decisive strike will give the bait a chance to get away unless you wait it out. Survivors playing together should counteract this type of camping, but they ALWAYS think they are better at the game than they actually are, so their comms can have mixed results.

    Another tip I doubt anyone mentioned but you asked. Not all killers are faster than survivors. Some of them run at pretty much the same speed as you. Against the slower killers you can run around a single large object and unless they have a power to reach you, like nurse teleporting or shape powering up, they aren't going to catch you without playing mind games (like doubling back). Nemesis and Shape are really bad at this but like I just said, you could end up giving them more power by not trying to escape.

    Wow, I literally didn't expect this many replies.


    So i did try killer, and every game felt super easy. Like I had way too much of an advantage with only a level 5. But this was as wraith. As Nemisis, I actually really hated all of his mechanics when I was stuck in an open field. Now that I understand a few perks more, Barbecue & Chilli, is kind of BS along with Lethal Pursuer. I can just choose who to run to the second I hook someone else. I am not really one for perks that reveal the location of others as this game is essentially cat and mouse.

    I was actually in coms with 3 other survivors who have all been playing this game for quite some time with single digit ranks (?? idk terms fully yet). Some of these killers really are just all about hooking people asap, which I guess... sure. But I guess its just not fun for anyone else. Also... screw indoor maps.

1 2 ›