Maps Too Dark on Nintendo Switch
Even with all the lights in the room off, the maps are so dark that I can't see anything. I don't just mean that as killer I can't see survivors, I mean I'm walking into walls. I know the Dead Dawg Saloon map from playing on PS4 but I struggle to navigate the main building because it's so dark. As killer, I'm having so much trouble seeing survivors that I'm earning less than 5k BP per match.
I don't mess with the Switch's display options. Everything is still default. I don't know what default is, but every other game I play is more than bright enough. DbD needs to have an in-game brightness adjustment option that uses some simple contrast-dependent images to help the player calibrate the setting. The other games I play where the brightness adjustment is important have this because they know every screen is different and they don't expect players to mess with the system's settings or the screen's settings on a per-game basis; instead, the games guide players to help them get the best and most consistent experience possible so they can see what they're supposed to and not see what they're not supposed to.
This game needs a brightness slider in the options or something. I thought it was bad on my TV playing on PS4, but this is so, so, so much worse. On the Switch, between the small screen and how dark everything is I can't navigate the maps.
Comments
Playing survivor on Dead Dawg Saloon, I had Deep Wounds and stopped to mend. I thought I was tucked away, hidden in a corner... turned out I was standing in the middle of the street out in the open.
I've also died because I couldn't see the hatch on Autohaven. The killer could see it just fine, though.
I can't do anything when chased as a survivor, and I can't finish chases as a killer. I can't see well enough to navigate the maps or track anyone. The only way I can hook a survivor is if I get a grab. If the survivor runs, they're gone, they don't have to break line of sight to disappear and scratch marks materialize too slowly to make up for it when every millisecond counts in a chase.
DbD needs an in-game brightness/gamma calibrator. Even being in a pitch-dark room doesn't help. Having the Switch's backlight turned up to make everything brighter is not comfortable, not even for a short amount of time much less for the duration of a normal gaming session, and it's especially painful on the eyes in a dark room where you're trying to avoid any glare on the screen. And I think Coldwind with the backlight maxed out would actually blind me.
The game IS admittedly dark on my LIte, yes. But I just jack the brightness of the system to max and it makes a noticeable difference.
It sucks having to turn it back down for pretty much every single other game, as you mentioned, but in my case it DOES solve the problem. An in-game brightness slider (within reason) would be welcome.
Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks it's dark :)
Yeah, I get headaches and my eyes can be really sensitive to light, so turning up the Switch's backlight to make up for DbD's ridiculously dark maps isn't an option. Even on my laptop, I keep the screen at 12% brightness, and the laptop screen is much farther from my face than the Switch.
An in-game brightness/gamma slider that helps players calibrate it properly would be super appreciated. The game is available on so many different platforms and there's no way everyone's getting a reasonably similar visual experience.
Yeah I definitely noticed it, especially when I compare it to the PC version which - to me at least - seems to have gotten brighter? Less contrast? Maybe I'm just seeing things but the Lite does have what seems like really rich, dark blacks - normally a good thing, until you need to see what's IN those blacks.
I see what you mean about the intensity of the screen brightness. Man, that sucks. They definitely do need to add a brightness slider. That seems like such a no-brainer.