Why do the devs continue to add ugly killers?

The devs did something right when they added the Trickster, but they fumbled it when immediately after him they added Nemesis. I don't think any of the cosmetics they can add will make him look any less ugly than he already is. Not only that, but look at the doctor rework, instead of cleaning up his face a bit & enchanting his features they made even uglier. Honestly scared of what they're going to do wraith, billy & Oni. Why they rarely add attractive killers boogles my mind.

Comments

  • Remember that the trickster is primarily an appeal to the Korean market for mor business. What we find appealing and what they do might not be the same.

  • @Adjatha said:

    It's good to have killers whose appearances are different. Each niche covers a different sort of horror. You're always going for something cool, but you can lean towards intimidating (Oni), Unnatural (Spirit), Darkly Beautiful (Plague), or Grotesque (Blight). Trickster falls in the "Darkly Beautiful" category, I'd say, and fits just fine.

    What doesn't work is something that is ugly but lacks any kind of visual intimidation factor, like Twins. They're just frumpy peasants who look kind of sad. Even Victor, the more monstrous of the two, doesn't even look all that intimidating, scary, or grotesque. He's just a grumpy baby. Twins is, by a wide margin, the worst looking original killer. The art team really beefed that one.

    I agree, I feel like you described it well. Plague fits "Darkly beautiful" really well honestly... it's kinda sad when you see that she probably used to look beautiful yet she is decomposed

  • @Nyx32 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2262836#Comment_2262836

    I agree, I feel like you described it well. Plague fits "Darkly beautiful" really well honestly... it's kinda sad when you see that she probably used to look beautiful yet she is decomposed

    Plague is a great example, because from a distance, she is tall, elegant, and beautiful, while still being ominous and unapproachable. The closer you look, though, the more grotesque she is, with the charred flesh, rotting body, and writhing maggots. It's a multi-layered approach that reflects her backstory beautifully and gives her nuance. A top-notch job from the DBD artists.

    This is opposed to, say, Twins, who look like sad, frumpy peasants from far away and are just slightly dirtier, frumpy peasants up close. I get that they were going for a Kuato look from Total Recall, but totally missed the mark. The little guy isn't especially deformed or malevolent-looking, the wound he lives in isn't especially gooey or bloody, and his big sister just looks like some woman. You can even see her regular-ass eyes! No darkness or glow or unnatural hue; she looks just like a heavy-set survivor! Surely somebody over there knows about the "eyes are the windows to the soul" theme, because look at every single other killer in the game. I can't imagine how Twins made it past the brainstorming stage.

    Twins are uniquely unqualified to be killers, both in appearance and lore (and, some might say, gameplay mechanics). If you're going to go pretty-but-disturbing, looking at Trickster is a fine target. You can even say Meyers and Pyramid Head, if you're thirsty for Big Daddies. If you're going hideous and revolting, Hillbilly's closer to the target, with his deformed upper body and inhuman proportions. All killers certainly shouldn't look alike, but they really ought to have some kind of frightful aspect to them; a brooding hostility or seething malevolence. "Pretty" or "Ugly" aside, the killers have to be COOL.

  • There's nothing scary about trickster. Killers should be scary.

  • @Aneurysm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2263022#Comment_2263022

    Someone on here a while back was into demo, they were pretty specific on what they thought he would and wouldn't be capable of sexually

    Umm ok not that into him but whatever his fantasy I guess lol I just think the shrieking is cute and the way he lunges with his power is adorable.

  • @Adjatha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2263965#Comment_2263965

    Plague is a great example, because from a distance, she is tall, elegant, and beautiful, while still being ominous and unapproachable. The closer you look, though, the more grotesque she is, with the charred flesh, rotting body, and writhing maggots. It's a multi-layered approach that reflects her backstory beautifully and gives her nuance. A top-notch job from the DBD artists.

    This is opposed to, say, Twins, who look like sad, frumpy peasants from far away and are just slightly dirtier, frumpy peasants up close. I get that they were going for a Kuato look from Total Recall, but totally missed the mark. The little guy isn't especially deformed or malevolent-looking, the wound he lives in isn't especially gooey or bloody, and his big sister just looks like some woman. You can even see her regular-ass eyes! No darkness or glow or unnatural hue; she looks just like a heavy-set survivor! Surely somebody over there knows about the "eyes are the windows to the soul" theme, because look at every single other killer in the game. I can't imagine how Twins made it past the brainstorming stage.

    Twins are uniquely unqualified to be killers, both in appearance and lore (and, some might say, gameplay mechanics). If you're going to go pretty-but-disturbing, looking at Trickster is a fine target. You can even say Meyers and Pyramid Head, if you're thirsty for Big Daddies. If you're going hideous and revolting, Hillbilly's closer to the target, with his deformed upper body and inhuman proportions. All killers certainly shouldn't look alike, but they really ought to have some kind of frightful aspect to them; a brooding hostility or seething malevolence. "Pretty" or "Ugly" aside, the killers have to be COOL.

    I agree with all of that. Thanks for the great read :)

  • I mean-- some of the killers are kinda, oh, I don't know, dead 😐

    The entity isn't trying to pick celebrities, Trickster doesn't really really fit with the horror aesthetic, when I am being chased by him, I feel like a boy band reject is trying to kill me cuz I didn't like their album.

    The devs did good with Legion and Ghostface, they are good for human characters. I also enjoy the designs of Nurse, Spirit, Trapper, Hag, and pretty much all the killers. Each are unique in their own way, as for killers like Nemesis, it's a license, they don't have permission to change the design, plus Nemesis is iconic ^^

1 2 ›