Camping killers punishes survivors.

Survivors should never de pip when they escape just because a camping bubba decided to camp a basement hook the entire game depriving me and my teammates from getting boldness/altruism points.

Many players will say that the way to punish camping killers is to do gens and escape, but it feels like more of a punishment for survivors to do that since a lot of times you end up de piping even if you escape. I just had a match against a bubba who decided to camp a basement hook the entire match and I ended up de piping despite the fact that I did 2 gens, broke 2 totems, opened a chest and escaped. I assume the bubba ended up de piping as well but having 4 survivors de pip versus 1 killer de piping doesn't seem like a fair trade.

I'm not proposing to nerf killers in any way but at least guarantee a safety pip if you escape...

Comments

  • I mean, we could bind piping to escaping. So if you don't escape, you won't pip. No matter what. Would that make you happy?

  • I find players just silly when it comes to advice regarding that "strat".

    Fact is, it's just a non match, it's no more interesting then being afk.

    It's not worth your time, I suggest dipping out and finding a new match that will hopefully actually be match

  • High ranks are bloated enough with mediocre Survivors. It's not great, but being able to complete all gens in the time to eliminate a single survivor means the rest of the team needs to force an interaction before leaving.

    The killer was obviously hoping to bait more of you and failed, which highlights why camping is Survivor dependant.

  • Yes. Escapes and 4Ks should always result in a Blackpip at least.

  • @Tsulan said:

    I mean, we could bind piping to escaping. So if you don't escape, you won't pip. No matter what. Would that make you happy?

    A safety black pip guaranteed when escaping yes, survivors shouldn't be punished for facing a bad killer...

  • Why is pip so important? You will get it back in the next match if you are good.

  • @fogdonkey said:

    Why is pip so important? You will get it back in the next match if you are good.

    For survivors, pipping up is pretty reliant on what your teammates do and what the killer does. Imagine a scenario where the killer gets two hooks, you don't unhook either of them, and then the third person the killer chases just loops them for days. Killer gets tunnel vision and doesn't break from them when they should, and gens fly. You now have limited options. Your altruism's going to be silver at best, probably bronze, and your evader is going to be bronze or null. Even with iri lightbringer and unbroken, you can't pip up in red ranks... unless you go and make things worse for your team by stealing the killer's attention and taking chase away from somebody who's clearly comfortable with the job. Or you can sandbag the looper and get them hooked so you can unhook and heal them for more altruism.

    Or you can be a good teammate and not do any of these things, and you'll black pip. But do you see the problem? To pip up, the killer needs to behave a certain way - they need to switch up their targets and move away from the hook to allow heals, safe unhooks, and chases to happen, and they have to fall in a zone where they are neither too good nor too bad - so they don't sweep you all by the five minute mark and you can have good chases against them that earn you Evader emblems, but they have to be getting hooks and doing damage to the team so that everyone can get adequate Benevolent.

    Meanwhile, you're guaranteed a depip if the killer camps or tunnels you out of the match within the first few minutes, if one or more of your teammates DCs/ragequits, if your teammates are stupid and get the killer an early snowball, if it's a tombstone Myers, if it's a basement Bubba... really, any facecamping killer ensures the rest of the team can't get points just by blocking off a quarter of the emblem system. If the killer is AFK, you can safety pip, but only by going up to them and sitting next to them for a minute. You're also unlikely to pip up if the killer is Plague because your only source of Benevolent points can come from unhooks you perform yourself, or picking slugs up off the ground - no passive team heal.

    I just got rank 1 as a solo survivor for the first time yesterday, and I'd been rank 2 for two whole weeks. Most games I black pipped, but for every pip up I'd manage, there was another game where I would depip due to factors usually outside my control. One choice example was getting bronze-silver-iri-bronze and 8/9 points to safety pip... because the Claudette I ran to unhook killed herself while I was coming to her despite me having a clear shot, the killer being occupied with the other remaining survivor, and the gates being powered. Her first stage hook suicide pushed me just below the threshold of silver benevolent. Then it turns out she only had 2000 points and didn't do anything all game. Another day, I played 5 survivor games, and 4 of them had somebody kill themselves or DC within the first 2 minutes. One game I depipped because the killer wasn't very good and my teammates slammed gens instead of unhooking me, so even though I was eventually unhooked and escaped, there wasn't enough left to do in the match to pip up (because gens were mostly done and there weren't enough unhook situations for me to tend to.) Three times I got to rank 2 4 pips, and the first two times that happened, my next killers were a Judith's Tombstone Myers (with one teammate that fed him immediately) and a facecamping Bubba respectively. No universe in which I pip against either of those. Luckily the final time saw me get two black pip games and then a pip up, and now I don't have to care about survivor pips ever again.

  • @Laluzi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2233054#Comment_2233054

    For survivors, pipping up is pretty reliant on what your teammates do and what the killer does. Imagine a scenario where the killer gets two hooks, you don't unhook either of them, and then the third person the killer chases just loops them for days. Killer gets tunnel vision and doesn't break from them when they should, and gens fly. You now have limited options. Your altruism's going to be silver at best, probably bronze, and your evader is going to be bronze or null. Even with iri lightbringer and unbroken, you can't pip up in red ranks... unless you go and make things worse for your team by stealing the killer's attention and taking chase away from somebody who's clearly comfortable with the job. Or you can sandbag the looper and get them hooked so you can unhook and heal them for more altruism.

    Or you can be a good teammate and not do any of these things, and you'll black pip. But do you see the problem? To pip up, the killer needs to behave a certain way - they need to switch up their targets and move away from the hook to allow heals, safe unhooks, and chases to happen, and they have to fall in a zone where they are neither too good nor too bad - so they don't sweep you all by the five minute mark and you can have good chases against them that earn you Evader emblems, but they have to be getting hooks and doing damage to the team so that everyone can get adequate Benevolent.

    Meanwhile, you're guaranteed a depip if the killer camps or tunnels you out of the match within the first few minutes, if one or more of your teammates DCs/ragequits, if your teammates are stupid and get the killer an early snowball, if it's a tombstone Myers, if it's a basement Bubba... really, any facecamping killer ensures the rest of the team can't get points just by blocking off a quarter of the emblem system. If the killer is AFK, you can safety pip, but only by going up to them and sitting next to them for a minute. You're also unlikely to pip up if the killer is Plague because your only source of Benevolent points can come from unhooks you perform yourself, or picking slugs up off the ground - no passive team heal.

    I just got rank 1 as a solo survivor for the first time yesterday, and I'd been rank 2 for two whole weeks. Most games I black pipped, but for every pip up I'd manage, there was another game where I would depip due to factors usually outside my control. One choice example was getting bronze-silver-iri-bronze and 8/9 points to safety pip... because the Claudette I ran to unhook killed herself while I was coming to her despite me having a clear shot, the killer being occupied with the other remaining survivor, and the gates being powered. Her first stage hook suicide pushed me just below the threshold of silver benevolent. Then it turns out she only had 2000 points and didn't do anything all game. Another day, I played 5 survivor games, and 4 of them had somebody kill themselves or DC within the first 2 minutes. One game I depipped because the killer wasn't very good and my teammates slammed gens instead of unhooking me, so even though I was eventually unhooked and escaped, there wasn't enough left to do in the match to pip up (because gens were mostly done and there weren't enough unhook situations for me to tend to.) Three times I got to rank 2 4 pips, and the first two times that happened, my next killers were a Judith's Tombstone Myers (with one teammate that fed him immediately) and a facecamping Bubba respectively. No universe in which I pip against either of those. Luckily the final time saw me get two black pip games and then a pip up, and now I don't have to care about survivor pips ever again.

    I'm still really confused as to why pips are so important? Is rank really that big a deal?

  • @ryzen0849 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2233098#Comment_2233098

    I'm still really confused as to why pips are so important? Is rank really that big a deal?

    If you want an achievement, yes. Otherwise, no, not beyond what goals or expectations people place upon themselves. I'm never going to care about survivor rank again. But when I was going for it for a reason, the experience was exceptionally frustrating.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    Yes. Escapes and 4Ks should always result in a Blackpip at least.

    4ks need to be double pips for things like adept plague.