Something needs to be done about totem locations / spawn

I can understand spawning next to a dull totem but it seems outrageous to me that survivors can spawn next to a lit hex totem and I'm saying this as someone who primarily plays survivor lol

The worst case I saw was on Ormond I spawned in next to a lit hex and then found ANOTHER lit one not too far away. I had cleansed Undying and Ruin back to back I felt so bad for the killer. Okay jk, it was a Freddy and he still murdered us all but that's beside the point.

Would it be asking so much for them to make hex totems spawn opposite of survivors at the VERY least? Ideally, survivors shouldn't spawn in on totems at all because this can even go the other way too, what if you spawn in next to a dull totem and they have Undying and can see your aura immediately? Cheeky e^e

So yes, do you think this is a problem and if so do you think BHVR should revamp totem spawns / locations?

Comments

  • @ukenicky said:

    I can understand spawning next to a dull totem but it seems outrageous to me that survivors can spawn next to a lit hex totem and I'm saying this as someone who primarily plays survivor lol

    The worst case I saw was on Ormond I spawned in next to a lit hex and then found ANOTHER lit one not too far away. I had cleansed Undying and Ruin back to back I felt so bad for the killer. Okay jk, it was a Freddy and he still murdered us all but that's beside the point.

    Would it be asking so much for them to make hex totems spawn opposite of survivors at the VERY least? Ideally, survivors shouldn't spawn in on totems at all because this can even go the other way too, what if you spawn in next to a dull totem and they have Undying and can see your aura immediately? Cheeky e^e

    So yes, do you think this is a problem and if so do you think BHVR should revamp totem spawns / locations?

    No.

  • Hex Totem spawns on some maps are very much a problem.

    Like on Ormond, there's a high probability a hex totem is going to spawn on the long rock in front of the main building. It's almost always, too. Hexes should never be so easily spot, but never be in a predictable spot either.

    I honestly like the idea of like a "Corrupt Intervention" for hexes, but make it base game IMO. For the first 120 seconds (or more), all hexes appear as dull totems. If a dull totem that is actually a hex is broken, the hex is cleansed.

    However I don't like the idea of hexes spawning in predictable places. I've thought of the idea of coding never to have hexes spawn where survivors are, but that simply is going to tell survivors where the hexes are more easily in general instances, rather than the coincidental instances where they are very close to a hex totem.

    Personally, I think something should be done about totems in general to give even dull totems a benefit to the killer. I think totems should be more of a side objective of the game to make it more interesting and for more things to do as survivor. Old undying did this in a not-as-good way but the premise was still there. But I still think totems in general should be harder to find, dull or hex. Midwich and Léry's are great examples of where to hide totems well, and they should program maps' hex totem spawns in a similar manner.

  • Agreed, totem spawns are very bad.

    Totems need to be reworked just in general. People say "Oh, well they are just high-risk high-reward perks so it's okay" and no, it's not. It is actually just stupid lmao. I can have a totem spawn that lasts 5 minutes, therefore screwing the survivors and being very unfun (which is why old undying was dumb), or a totem that goes away in literally 17 seconds at the least.

  • Personally, I'd prefer all totems appear dull to the survivors.

    The survivors then have a non-regressing mini-objective at the center of the map which upon completion will illuminate the hex totems and vaguely point the survivor in one hex totem's direction. This mini-objective could be completed multiple times to help identify the direction of other totems.


    This way hex totems will be on the map for ATLEAST 30-45 seconds, and survivors will be incentivized to visit the center of the map early on.

  • There has to be something done with totems. Ruin is just a million times better than any other slowdown, you basically need it.

    "Chase survivor off gens". Exactly, with ruin it actually does something immediately.