Should grabs (action interruptions) be killer sided? At least gen/totem/hook grabs.

Title.

Right now if a killer 'grabs' a survivor but they let go of interaction button quickly, the server takes their side and doesn't count grab as successful.

I believe that it shouldn't work like this and instead should be killer sided, aka "if killer grabbed survivor from their perspective, then the survivor IS grabbed".

As if survivor lets killers go close or ends up in a hook standoff, they should not have an advantage and a chance to go away just injured or even unharmed in worst cases because of latency.

Comments

  • They shouldn't be killer-sided, rather actually... you know... WORK on the killer's side. It has been ages since I last grabbed a survivor off of anything.

    Instead I just get stuck or frozen for a second or two while I pat them on the shoulder, giving them a headstart to run away.

  • My view on it is that although it should remain the way it is, it should atleast give you a hit if the grab doesn't register.

  • @Yords said:

    They shouldn't be killer-sided, rather actually... you know... WORK on the killer's side. It has been ages since I last grabbed a survivor off of anything.

    Instead I just get stuck or frozen for a second or two while I pat them on the shoulder, giving them a headstart to run away.

    Failing to grab a survivor as they continue to work on the gen be like

    Untitled Image


  • @Profezia said:

    Title.

    Right now if a killer 'grabs' a survivor but they let go of interaction button quickly, the server takes their side and doesn't count grab as successful.

    I believe that it shouldn't work like this and instead should be killer sided, aka "if killer grabbed survivor from their perspective, then the survivor IS grabbed".

    As if survivor lets killers go close or ends up in a hook standoff, they should not have an advantage and a chance to go away just injured or even unharmed in worst cases because of latency.

    It's hard to tell how exactly it works. It could be normal hit validation, it could be based off of the survivor's position overriding the killer's grab signal, it could be anything. we don't know. All I do know is that having the killer's grab signal override the survivor's communication to the server would open up the door to subtle lag switching.

  • Just gormlessly standing there like an idiot while the Survivor's free to run away for like, a whole-ass second is dumb as hell.

    But visibly hopping off a gen and starting to run off before getting warped onto the Killer's shoulders would be equally dumb as hell.

    Ideally, there's a good middle ground here.

  • @HƎYu19 said:

    Nothing should be X sided, it should all be server dependent and be as exact as possible. If it is stupid as a killer get stuck when you grab a survivor, it would be EVEN more stupid if a survivor gets grabbed when they already stopped repairing or doing any of those actions.

    Btw this can be abused by VPNing kilers / bad ping (exactly what happens rn with hits, that's why you see people complain about VPNing killers)

    I mean, from survivor PoV EVERYTHING looks perfectly fine as they stop doing an action BEFORE killer grabs them, they just sometimes see killer attempting to grab air on a spot where survivor was milisecond ago.

    That's the problem.

  • For grabs, server-sided > survivor-sided > killer-sided