"Balancing" killers brings to weaker killers

Survivor "survived" pretty much to any nerf that was made in the last 2 years, even possibly becoming stronger due to the lack of "one stop solution" on how to win a match.

Killers, on the other hand, have seen a ton of new perks, reworks and buffs to "improve their gaming experience", that goes from oneshot to wallhacks, invisibility, automatic surv spotting, no terror radius, etc etc.

I am really ok with this, as long as the game keeps being played, the only problem here is that we are facing an Assassin Creed issue.
Assassin Creed is targeted for 10yo gamers, and is so ridiculously easy that no skill is needed to play the game: the game will tell you what to do in every step, where to go, what to press not allowing you to lose. Never.

Improving killers abilities over and over, and reducing survivors possibilities, has led to the opposite goal, weakening the overall level of the killers where they are easily getting fooled by basic mindgames, they can't spot survivors, as they heavily rely on offering and perks and are generally not scary as killers (with 1 exception every 10 matches).

A steeper training curve for the survivor on the other hand has led to an unbalance between the average skills of the two "factions" that devs will continuously try to fill with new skills and featuyres for killers, making the things worse.

I hope that this gets taken into consideration and everybody looks in the long-term instead of the immediate solution.
Best,

Comments

  • I mean. Can't disagree that they've made survivors more difficult to play. Since when the game came out they could use infinite's. So yes at least that's not in the game anymore. Which made it more difficult. But then they just started gen rushing and pallet looping. They want to add more objectives for survivors to do eventually. When that does happen then nerfing killer will probably be a good idea. Depending on how much extra stuff the survivors have to do. But right now the game starts and the exit gates are opened within 4-5 minutes. Leaving the survivors only having to do a 30-45 second chase per person to all survive.

    I also believe that killer players don't use add-on's a lot. I personally never use add-on's on either side. I feel like they're the thing that unbalances the game. Not sure how many killers actually use add-ons... But I never use them and it's uncommon to face a killer with them when I'm playing survivor.

    For beginners killer is certainly over powered. They run around and destroy new survivors that don't know how the maps work and try to stealth and hide in closets. But at the high ranks... Game seems like survivors have a clear advantage. Unless they have a really bad early game. I certainly have games where I hook someone early and then they all try to mess with me and I kill them all within a minute. Those games aren't very common usually. It's mostly just pallet looping and survivors that don't give the killer really a chance to get kills.

  • The reason for which probably u get that at higher levels is the steeper learning curve that brings to a rank10 surv to be more skilled - if we can compare the 2 skillsets - that a rank10 killer.

    I do agree about the fact that if you dont manage to control the map very soon,you find yourself with 3 gens done in 2 minutes and then it becomes a problem and you have again to rely on end-game perks - from noed to freddy's.

    In the last ptb they made the cure time longer as they are willing to slow down all the other things u have to do and that is the way to go instead of creating "superpowers".

    I would add that devs say that a balanced game is where 2 surv out of 4 die: I would add that a balanced game is where all 4 surv are hooked once, and then 2 of them die and 2 escape.
  • Survivor has never been easier than now. Last summer, survivors still had to pay attention on what happend. There were no indicators or big warning signs that told them that NOED is active or that they are affected by UP.
    Now we have all those indicators that take the surprise factor away. Survivors just have to read what perks affect them and they know what build they can expect.
    Killers are way to underpowered.

  • survivor always has been, and always will be, easier than killer

  • I think the game is very popular BECAUSE it is easy. I don't see them making the game harder to drive away new players that already have a challenging time as it is.

  • @steezo_de said:
    I think the game is very popular BECAUSE it is easy. I don't see them making the game harder to drive away new players that already have a challenging time as it is.

    We could introduce a casual (easy) mode and a hardcore mode for eSports. This would draw in casuals who want to have a relaxing match after work and people who like to play competitively.

  • @Tsulan said:

    @steezo_de said:
    I think the game is very popular BECAUSE it is easy. I don't see them making the game harder to drive away new players that already have a challenging time as it is.

    We could introduce a casual (easy) mode and a hardcore mode for eSports. This would draw in casuals who want to have a relaxing match after work and people who like to play competitively.

    Hardcore mode would be easy enough. Remove terror radius and aura reading perks and maybe remove the use of some perks altogether. I know I'd play it. Not sure how I would like it in off-hours though, when it takes a long ass time to get people in my lobby. I guess they could list player numbers per mode, but I don't know if that's possible without dedicated servers.

  • @steezo_de said:

    @Tsulan said:

    @steezo_de said:
    I think the game is very popular BECAUSE it is easy. I don't see them making the game harder to drive away new players that already have a challenging time as it is.

    We could introduce a casual (easy) mode and a hardcore mode for eSports. This would draw in casuals who want to have a relaxing match after work and people who like to play competitively.

    Hardcore mode would be easy enough. Remove terror radius and aura reading perks and maybe remove the use of some perks altogether. I know I'd play it. Not sure how I would like it in off-hours though, when it takes a long ass time to get people in my lobby. I guess they could list player numbers per mode, but I don't know if that's possible without dedicated servers.

    Here´s my original idea of the hardcore mode.
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/15899/hardcore-mode#latest

    And some additional game changes more detailed
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/17043/game-changes#latest

  • @Radiant said:
    Survivor "survived" pretty much to any nerf that was made in the last 2 years, even possibly becoming stronger due to the lack of "one stop solution" on how to win a match.

    Killers, on the other hand, have seen a ton of new perks, reworks and buffs to "improve their gaming experience", that goes from oneshot to wallhacks, invisibility, automatic surv spotting, no terror radius, etc etc.

    I am really ok with this, as long as the game keeps being played, the only problem here is that we are facing an Assassin Creed issue.
    Assassin Creed is targeted for 10yo gamers, and is so ridiculously easy that no skill is needed to play the game: the game will tell you what to do in every step, where to go, what to press not allowing you to lose. Never.

    Improving killers abilities over and over, and reducing survivors possibilities, has led to the opposite goal, weakening the overall level of the killers where they are easily getting fooled by basic mindgames, they can't spot survivors, as they heavily rely on offering and perks and are generally not scary as killers (with 1 exception every 10 matches).

    A steeper training curve for the survivor on the other hand has led to an unbalance between the average skills of the two "factions" that devs will continuously try to fill with new skills and featuyres for killers, making the things worse.

    I hope that this gets taken into consideration and everybody looks in the long-term instead of the immediate solution.
    Best,

    The biggets issue the game has is that repairing gens actually only requires you to hold M1 and press M2 occasionally. If they would rework this part, everythign would change basically but that will never happen sadly

  • @Tsulan said:

    @steezo_de said:

    @Tsulan said:

    @steezo_de said:
    I think the game is very popular BECAUSE it is easy. I don't see them making the game harder to drive away new players that already have a challenging time as it is.

    We could introduce a casual (easy) mode and a hardcore mode for eSports. This would draw in casuals who want to have a relaxing match after work and people who like to play competitively.

    Hardcore mode would be easy enough. Remove terror radius and aura reading perks and maybe remove the use of some perks altogether. I know I'd play it. Not sure how I would like it in off-hours though, when it takes a long ass time to get people in my lobby. I guess they could list player numbers per mode, but I don't know if that's possible without dedicated servers.

    Here´s my original idea of the hardcore mode.
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/15899/hardcore-mode#latest

    And some additional game changes more detailed
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/17043/game-changes#latest

    Yeah. That's all good. I like those ideas and I would totally play it... but I'm torn on how they're going to accomplish it.

    For one, you have the logistics of keeping up with their DLC delivery dates, midchapter patches and Killer/gameplay tweaks... do they have the devpower to implement this? The other big factor is if we even have the population for it. Do they want to risk dividing the community when the majority of the base are average players? Would this lure all the "pro" players to the hardcore mode and leave the casual games to scrubs which could royally fubar the matchmaking? I think they could get away with it IF they make a real MMR system instead of just rank, but that's something they admitted they're not going to do any time soon.

    I like the idea of a hardcore mode, but I think it would be a big risk and I bet they want to play it safe for a while to recoup some $ that they invested into DG. They did say they were looking into other modes so I'm curious what they had in mind. This should be asked in the next Q&A.

  • Everybody prefers longer match than short ones. I wouldn't complain having to do 1 gen more, but would killers accept some superpower to be taken away?

  • @Radiant said:
    Everybody prefers longer match than short ones. I wouldn't complain having to do 1 gen more, but would killers accept some superpower to be taken away?

    A possible suggestion is slightly decreased movement speed while slightly increasing vaulting speed (have chases take longer, but not make it impossible to catch them).