Is Stream Sniping Fair?

Hear me out, anytime I play killer and I have twitch streamer in my lobby I check them out beforehand. See how they are acting on their stream. If they are obnoxious and being a jerk I don’t play that lobby. If they seem nice and whatnot I’ll drop a comment saying let’s have fun and this is the killer here. What I find laughable is one time after I dropped that comment before a match the streamer said “don’t stream snipe now!” Even though she was in a 4 man SWF team on comms. I wasn’t thinking about doing that. True I leave the stream on while playing on my PS4 but only to listen to their comments and reactions to me as killer. I’m not watching where they are going. Just find it funny that they had no problem being on a 4 man SWF team and were constantly updating their team on where I was and what I was doing but me stream sniping is going too far? It seems like a double standard.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @ttvbardberd said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2026973#Comment_2026973

    You made a fair argument, but we'll have to agree to disagree. Take my Vote up sir.

    Thank you. I appreciate you hearing me out even if your position remains the same.

  • @Ecstasy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2026931#Comment_2026931

    SWF isn't cheating, voice-communication is. There is no built in voice-com mechanics.

    You're using an outside program to gain a significant competitive advantage in this game that artificially boosts the team's performance beyond their capabilities in real operating conditions.

    In a normal game you can't tell someone where a totem is. You can't say if someone is coming for a save. You can't say trap right there. Yet any of these small thing early on could be the pivot point for the game snowballing or not.

    Voice chat isn't just one of those bits given freely. It's a thousand small changes under the guise of "well I can press m1 and juke just like a normal game" without recognizing the real impact that makes.

    You can't wipe out so much of the chaos and uncertainty which defines this game and still argue that you're playing the game as its designed to be played. Survivors are not meant to be coordinating or communicating beyond their their limited perk selection and rudimentary pointing. The difference is ######### monumental.

    Truth is, VC is an advantage over normal players (ie, compared to the same team without that crutch) that's about as significant as an aimbot or wallhack in an FPS.

    It is cheating de-facto no matter what the developers say until they either include it for real or balance around it in a way that takes account for the massive difference between a game where plays have zero coordination/communication and one where the players have total communication/coordination.

    Yet.... voice chat is allowed nevertheless. Same way stream sniping is allowed according to the official rules. Personally, I would call them both cheating and prefer both be eliminated. But to think of one as cheating and the other crossing some line... pure hypocrisy. There's no getting around it. It's simply delusional.

    I can agree with that. I’ve been in parties before but we don’t use headsets or anything. We just send psn messages before or after the match. So no real advantage there. It’s just funny people complain about going outside the game to gain an advantage and watching a stream is unfair but then go outside the game and use Discord or VC for their four man SWF and think that’s fair.

  • @Ecstasy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2026974#Comment_2026974

    Thank you. I appreciate you hearing me out even if your position remains the same.

    The devs have said that voice comms is not cheating, they also don't ban for stream sniping but there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for that, it's because it's impossible to prove and link the accounts.

    To excuse stream sniping some random who may or may not have used comms (which the devs don't see as cheating) does not mean watching them isn't cheating. You're entitled to think what you want but the devs have said 100% that voice comms isn't cheating while haven't given a stance on sniping entirely just that they don't ban, but again like i said, can't prove it 100% so of course they won't ban for it.

  • @ttvbardberd said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2026964#Comment_2026964

    That's a fair argument, but that still doesn't explain why you get less points for doing them.

    Because the devs aren't great when it comes to points. You get chased by Victor for a match where your team was able to bust out gens you get 0 BP and drop pip but if it had been Charlotte chasing you during that time you would've maxed out from being chased and gotten points towards your other emblems like you do any normal chase. You get 1 hooked you're up there for 2 minutes at most, you can speed it up and get about 800+/- BP during struggle but if you're slugged it takes 4 minutes to bleed out, you can't speed it up, and you get a handful of BP if you recover to find help. You unsafe unhook someone, while it may hurt your Altruism emblem a little bit you can still get iridescent, you still get decent amount of BP from the unhook - you don't get that much extra BP making it a safe unhook.

  • Let me see if I get this straight...


    Survivors use voice comms not made for the game and this is fine.


    But watching a stream a person voluntary puts out there for them to be seen by anyone is not?


    Sorcery.

  • @EvanSnowWolf said:

    Let me see if I get this straight...

    Survivors use voice comms not made for the game and this is fine.

    But watching a stream a person voluntary puts out there for them to be seen by anyone is not?

    Sorcery.

    "Not made for this game"

    dude, there's literally a "Survive With Friends" mode, any developer thinking players wouldn't be in communications with their friends while using this mode is absolutely delusional.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2026940#Comment_2026940

    It's the dbd way dude, just the other day there was a thread about a survivor streamer being "toxic" because they said dumb ass as a deathslinger missed shots who then wiffed 100 M1s and DCd and everyone being like "why aren't streamers nice they're so toxic" and then we have a thread today about why cheating against streamers is ok and it's basiclaly come back to the jaded killer mains who are upset that people have friends to talk to while queued up in their team game mode, really sad to see honestly.


    You keep using the word "cheat" over and over and over again. Cheating is when you break the rules. Can you please show me in the BHVR rules for this game where it says streamsniping is against the rules?

  • @EvanSnowWolf said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2026942#Comment_2026942

    You keep using the word "cheat" over and over and over again. Cheating is when you break the rules. Can you please show me in the BHVR rules for this game where it says streamsniping is against the rules?

    People keep implying that talking to your friends is cheating or against the rules, can you please show me where in the BHVR rules for this game it says using comms is against the rules?

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2026999#Comment_2026999

    People keep implying that talking to your friends is cheating or against the rules, can you please show me where in the BHVR rules for this game it says using comms is against the rules?


    It doesn't. But I'm not claiming it is. I've done SWF with comms. And I don't think it is cheating. Likewise, I don't think streamsniping is cheating. I don't do it personally, largely because I don't want the headache of trying to keep track of two feeds at once with all that noise. God knows I don't wanna hear this person thank all their subs, follows, and donations while I am trying to play.


    However, it is disingenuous to say that comms is NOT cheating but streamsniping IS, unless you can cite me something from BHVR, which I am really very certain YOU CAN'T.

  • @EvanSnowWolf said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2027002#Comment_2027002

    It doesn't. But I'm not claiming it is. I've done SWF with comms. And I don't think it is cheating. Likewise, I don't think streamsniping is cheating. I don't do it personally, largely because I don't want the headache of trying to keep track of two feeds at once with all that noise. God knows I don't wanna hear this person thank all their subs, follows, and donations while I am trying to play.

    However, it is disingenuous to say that comms is NOT cheating but streamsniping IS, unless you can cite me something from BHVR, which I am really very certain YOU CAN'T.

    Nah it's definitely cheating regardless of whether it's written down as such or not, you honestly truly believe that seeing exactly where a survivor is, going to them, and removing them from the game isn't cheating?

    BHVR have said they won't ban for stream sniping because it's too hard to prove, twitch, and almost every other game in existence bans for it however.

    It's just pure delusion to say it's not cheating.


    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/581290/#Comment_581290 Here's a post by peanits about stream sniping and why they don't ban for it, from reading it, you can however report someone for griefing if it's a common thing, you just can't report them for sniping, seems like they'd ban for it if they had a way of proving it, lmao.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2027011#Comment_2027011

    Nah it's definitely cheating regardless of whether it's written down as such or not, you honestly truly believe that seeing exactly where a survivor is, going to them, and removing them from the game isn't cheating?

    BHVR have said they won't ban for stream sniping because it's too hard to prove, twitch, and almost every other game in existence bans for it however.

    It's just pure delusion to say it's not cheating.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/581290/#Comment_581290 Here's a post by peanits about stream sniping and why they don't ban for it, from reading it, you can however report someone for griefing if it's a common thing, you just can't report them for sniping, seems like they'd ban for it if they had a way of proving it, lmao.


    "Seems like" is not a rule. It's you guessing.


    If your argument is "you are getting information you are not supposed to have", well that is what comms do.

  • @EvanSnowWolf said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2027015#Comment_2027015

    "Seems like" is not a rule. It's you guessing.

    If your argument is "you are getting information you are not supposed to have", well that is what comms do.

    Except the devs enable voice comms by putting in a team game mode, they don't enable stream sniping in the slightest.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2027019#Comment_2027019

    Except the devs enable voice comms by putting in a team game mode, they don't enable stream sniping in the slightest.


    Bullcrap. There is no enabled voice comms in this game. I defy you to show me the setting in any menu,


    You can't.


    Your argument is "Well, they knew what would happen" or some similar nonsense.


    Just because a game has an INVITE button doesn't mean you have automatically preapproved all third party applications.


    The Peanits post YOU yourself linked to says flat out Streamsniping is not an offense at all. Your claim that it is cheating is 100% invalid by your own linked post.


    Until you can cite a post that DIRECTLY says it is, you're wrong.

  • @EvanSnowWolf said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2027022#Comment_2027022

    Bullcrap. There is no enabled voice comms in this game. I defy you to show me the setting in any menu,

    You can't.

    Your argument is "Well, they knew what would happen" or some similar nonsense.

    Just because a game has an INVITE button doesn't mean you have automatically preapproved all third party applications.

    The Peanits post YOU yourself linked to says flat out Streamsniping is not an offense at all. Your claim that it is cheating is 100% invalid by your own linked post.

    Until you can cite a post that DIRECTLY says it is, you're wrong.

    Dude you're so mad people don't like cheating in this game idk what your problem is.


    The post was "Is Stream sniping fair" which it is not, but of course killer mains have to come in with the "Yea but whataboutism" and start talking about voice comms.

    Is stream sniping fair, no? Is it considered by the developers cheating? no, is it still cheating? yea.

    It's something out of the devs control so they don't see it as cheating, there's nothing they can do about it so obviously won't define it, however you can report for griefing if you think something repeatedly like that is happening to you.

  • I don’t get how this is even a question, it’s obviously not fair and loser behavior.

  • Using an outside program - you mean like the OFFICIAL DBD Discord? The one that DBD has set up for players to use to play together?

    So if the company that has created the game...utilizes a tool for their players to use...to play their game... how exactly is that cheating if it is supported by the game company? If DBD did not condone such actions - wouldn't they not...they themselves...offer voice channels for their players? I mean the Official DBD Discord server has multiple SWF voice channels for players. So while a few salty killer mains think that it is cheating - the official stance is that using comms is not cheating - I'll go by what DBD/BHVR considers cheating and not some bruised ego player(s).

    As far as stream sniping - No I don't think BHVR should get involved - the streamers can handle banning people on their own since it is their channel. FYI I am a killer main and couldn't care less if I am against a SWF or a SWF on comms - then again I don't have ego issues and like a challenge (which is why I play the game).

  • Look on the bright side Streamers, when the Killer is in your stream you've doubled your audience.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2025447#Comment_2025447

    Comms are not cheating lol. Voice chat tools are already built into the launchers most of us play DBD through. There's been no effort from the developers to discourage voice chat, which makes sense, because discouraging voice chat in any substantial way would just push people to play other games instead.

    Stream sniping isn't "cheating" either, per se. It's the streamer's decision to publicly broadcast their live gameplay. Still, that's definitely unsavory and not something I would do. The main point of voice chat in DBD isn't to get an advantage in game; it's to talk to your friends while you play. Stream sniping is exclusively used to give you an advantage, so it feels a bit dirty.

    This, i have never streamsniped while playing killer, if a survivor TTV is in my lobby i'll check if their live, it's basically a diet SWF while not giving the killer a excuse for why they lost

  • if you don't wanna risk getting stream sniped then don't advertise your stream.


    People put TTV in their name so people know they are live streaming the game. I do not consider it cheating cause the twitch player literally tells people "yo I am streaming check me out"

  • After going through the thread and having to remove some comments, the thread will be closed as it's just a back and forth of the same comments and it has escalated quite a few times. Please remain civil and respectful when commenting, you can be such even if you are disagreeing with each other. Resorting to attacks or making assumptions about someone are not okay.

1 2 3 4 ›