'Frustration' needs to pay off, otherwise it's just bad game design.

We all know the quote(s) the devs made about frustration in the game, and frankly, each time I hear them say something like it I do wonder if they do know that the element of frustration in a game REQUIRES there to be a pay-off for it. Something DbD doesn't have.

You grind BP (also your only reward for doing quests) to... grind BP. When there's a rift you additionally grind for fragments to get... cosmetics that oftentimes are just rather loveless recolours.

so the ratio of frustration : satisfaction is completely off.

Am I preaching to the choir a little. Yes, and that shouldn't be a thing if a game is decently designed.

I'm not saying the game is 'doomed' if the devs don't start improving things (health updates, better frustration : satisfaction ratio, more to do etc) but it's still going to fall flat. Will people keep playing? sure, but it will be an odd flux of people leaving for good, people coming in out of curiosity, etc.

And that shouldn't be. DbD is a game with some really nifty lore and a lot of potential. And that should be used. There's dozens of good ideas on how to make things more satisfying on the forum alone, so... by all means, from chapter 21 onwards the devs oughta concentrate on improving and expanding what is there to do and see, not just expanding by adding more of the same.

Comments

  • I don’t get what you mean, there’s plenty of “I win” buttons to push in DBD.

    And no, it honestly should not be that way. The grind should be a minor advantage. A good model is apex legends. It doesn’t matter how much you grind, you start on the same page as everyone else. Only skill and teamwork carry you in that game.

  • The frustration in this game is explained in 3 words: gen rush, tunneling, camping.

  • @C3Tooth said:

    The frustration in this game is explained in 3 words: gen rush, tunneling, camping.

    yeah, and the devs apparently think that's a+ gamedesign

  • safety pip for dying on your first hook. boom.

  • @C3Tooth said:

    The frustration in this game is explained in 3 words: gen rush, tunneling, camping.

    But that's 4 words.

  • @C3Tooth said:

    The frustration in this game is explained in 3 words: gen rush, tunneling, camping.

    no, my frustration is going to second stage even with Kindred and getting a skill check right when I let go of a gen, alerting the Killer of my presence because I am so nice.

  • >nifty lore 

    haha, no.

    After devs introduced tomes, they just screwed the lore with those stupid retcons.

    I'd rather learn the lore from Benedict's observations tbh

    They had a lot of potential with tomes, but they wasted it into retconning and boring cliches that doesn't connect to the old lore in many noticeable details.

  • @Profezia said:

    >nifty lore 

    haha, no.

    After devs introduced tomes, they just screwed the lore with those stupid retcons.

    I'd rather learn the lore from Benedict's observations tbh

    They had a lot of potential with tomes, but they wasted it into retconning and boring cliches that doesn't connect to the old lore in many noticeable details.

    to be fair, I'd say only the nurse and maybe julie and hag are sizeable/massive retcons. All other tomes so far kinda fit

  • I think this is a good point. I would find it easier to tollerate some of the annoying things about the game if I were earning more rewards for playing. But, when it takes so long to grind out one cosmetic item -- which is basically the only thing you can grind besides perks -- the ratio of frustration to reward can feel wrong. On would be nice to end each match feeling like I made progress on something (more than a drop in the bucket).

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2001000#Comment_2001000

    to be fair, I'd say only the nurse and maybe julie and hag are sizeable/massive retcons. All other tomes so far kinda fit

    Wraith? They entirely ruined his "Didn't want to kill, was made to, snapped" character with that cinematic.

  • @C3Tooth said:

    The frustration in this game is explained in 3 words: gen rush, tunneling, camping.

    Your right on that

  • @Profezia said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2001017#Comment_2001017

    Wraith? They entirely ruined his "Didn't want to kill, was made to, snapped" character with that cinematic.

    have you.... read the story beforehand? Have you just watched the cinematic?

  • @Profezia said:

    >nifty lore 

    haha, no.

    After devs introduced tomes, they just screwed the lore with those stupid retcons.

    I'd rather learn the lore from Benedict's observations tbh

    They had a lot of potential with tomes, but they wasted it into retconning and boring cliches that doesn't connect to the old lore in many noticeable details.

    Not all of them. What about Billy’s?

  • you know, I think they are just trolling.

    I mean, look at them saying Wraith's backstory of not wanting to kill but witnessing horrors and killing as a last resort when he snapped is retconning his backstory of... not wanting to kill but witnessing horrors and killing as a last resort when he snapped...

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2002422#Comment_2002422

    you know, I think they are just trolling.

    I mean, look at them saying Wraith's backstory of not wanting to kill but witnessing horrors and killing as a last resort when he snapped is retconning his backstory of... not wanting to kill but witnessing horrors and killing as a last resort when he snapped...

    Yeah that’s probably the case. Tbf though some of them are kinda bad like Jane’s or legion’s

  • @Phasmamain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2002424#Comment_2002424

    Yeah that’s probably the case. Tbf though some of them are kinda bad like Jane’s or legion’s

    Jane's I find pretty okay. And Julie's... one could maybe argue that julie is trying to convince herself she didn't want to kill?