Accommodations/assist for hard of hearing?
I’m a hard of hearing Huntress main, 460 hours, rank 3 atm. I also occasionally play survivor. At the moment I only have one hearing aid on since the other one broke. I have bilateral profound deafness on both ears.
Are there any possible third program options out there to help with HOH? The game volume itself is so loud and I am never able to hear breathing, footsteps or gens being worked on (unless I can see) most of the time. It’s also usually very difficult for me to tell where sound is coming from.
I also struggle with gen pressure the most and I get stressed easily if I can’t focus that well and feel like it’s nearly impossible to get a win. The game is very difficult, to put it in words. Survivors could hide all game and I wouldn’t be able to hear a thing. Having equalization on boost for Windows has helped; I’ve heard certain sounds, like the flashlight clicking for the first time.
As for perks, I’ve experimented with nearly all visual/gen perks. I run a full tracking build, BBQ, Nurse’s, Whispers and sometimes Deerstalker, Corrupt for the fourth, etc. I rely on vision/intuition 90% of the time and barely rely on sound unless it’s a downed survivor or trying to find hatch (that’s the hardest part). I’ve already practiced for years on training my peripheral vision and aim.
As survivor, I struggle so much with knowing where the killer is as well. It’s less difficult as surv but nevertheless, still frustrating.
The point is, if DBD mobile has these accommodations that can help deaf or HOH players, why can’t they build a volume slider or visual cues for the disabled? Maybe it’s a restricted feature and needs documentation to be used. Any information on this?
Any third programs I could look into to help with sound?
Edit: I've been tweaking with a EQ and it's helping me hear crackles/footsteps and even grass for the first time! I recommend this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pc-equalizer/ and download https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo with it.
I love this game despite how frustrating it can be sometimes but I wish I could play more regularly if they had accommodations. :( Thank you so much for reading.
Comments
If it took almost 4 years of constant talking about colourblind settings I’m sorry to say hearing settings are probably a long way off
Rank 3 killer with your issues, that is praise worthy. I really hope they do something for you guys.
Hi, I've moved this to feedback/suggestions so I can make note of the information contained in it. I know accessibility options are often getting looked into with the game. I don't know specific programmes that can help you, I would recommend checking out Deafgirl Gaming on Twitch as I know she uses something to assist with the hearing of things and also uses certain perks which helps her to know if she's within the killers terror radius etc, she might be able to give more information.
It’s def unlikely but I’m praying for something at least! I’m just glad there’s other options atm though.
Thank you! It was hard at first but I was able to catch up quickly. And yeah! Things like this should be looked at more, accommodations for disabilities in general.
Thank you very much! I will def check her out and see what she thinks.
DBD mobile doesn't have visual cues for breathing or footsteps but they do have visual cues for TR and generators which are amazing. Plus also visual cues to where survivors/killers are when PC does have small instances of it but it should be more constant.
I did play a little of mobile to test it out: