New hook counter & solo Q

How is your experience so far? Mine is that most survivors don't care to take a hit for a stranger if someone else is on death hook. There is always that immersed one with 0 hooks after escaping and then some still die early while the others don't bother. So it was probably not a lack of information but the general mindset of most solo survivors. There should be some kind of tutorial or hint ("You can only survive if you work together. Try to get the Killers attention to help the other survivors, who are close to death") to change set.

Other than that, the new hook counter for survivors is great, you just have to use the information.

The one for killers is ok'ish (it helps in certain situations but general hook count is not a super useful information) but i get why they don't want to give killers the hook-per-survivor information, it would encourage tunneling and it's something that every good killer should remember without handholding.

Comments

  • It's not a team game. Survivor A does not win if they die but Survivor B escapes, and vice versa.

    The store page for the game even mentions this.

    image.png

    Naturally, you'll have a better chance at escaping if you cooperate with your fellow Survivors, but it's by no means necessary. There's nothing wrong with not taking a hook for someone if you feel that won't lead to you escaping in the end.

    Perks like Sole Survivor, Technician, Left Behind, Self-Care, Inner Strength and Power Struggle all encourage a loner 'selfish' playstyle, just like how perks such as Leader, Borrowed Time, We're Gonna Live Forever, Aftercare, Solidarity and Better Together encourage teamwork and cooperation.

  • @Superyoshiegg said:

    It's not a team game. Survivor A does not win if they die but Survivor B escapes, and vice versa.

    The store page for the game even mentions this.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/27FGTBFFUS0V/image.png

    Naturally, you'll have a better chance at escaping if you cooperate with your fellow Survivors, but it's by no means necessary. There's nothing wrong with not taking a hook for someone if you feel that won't lead to you escaping in the end.

    Perks like Sole Survivor, Technician, Left Behind, Self-Care, Inner Strength and Power Struggle all encourage a loner 'selfish' playstyle, just like how perks such as Leader, Borrowed Time, We're Gonna Live Forever, Aftercare, Solidarity and Better Together encourage teamwork and cooperation.

    but there is a reason why they added this counter and it is to buff solos i guess?! Because it may encourage people to help someone out who is on death hook. At least that's why i think it's there.

  • I can tell you as someone who has played with my fair share of randoms, I will not be taking any hooks for you unless you do something for me first to assure you aren't a shi**y person. I've had too many instances where I take a hook so the last gen can be done or so someone can get away, and I get left on my first hook to die. I've helped randoms who have then sandbagged me getting me caught by the killer and randoms who run the killer straight to me. Not doing anything extra.

  • Welp so far it helped me noticing that people are playing more immersed that i thought. I never cared about taking a hook state to save someone from a hook if needed, but now that there is a hook count, i can see i'm a pretty rare breed, and that even if everyone is there is someone on hook and two injured, if the last one is healthy he usually don't go for the hook and never have been hooked either.

  • Yh sometimes you need to help your teammate, bc losing one early kills you all.

    So when you know you can escape without the survivor, you can just let the survivor die.

    But there are many survivor who dont help even when it means that the entire team will die in the long run bc oft that.

    They added it bc it can help sometimes and in the worst case it will just be ignored. So no downside.

  • The fact is, when I have zero hook and I could take one to save one of my teammates, I'm not always near them when they're chased. If they're on death hook and I see they're been downed at the opposite of the map, I have no chance to reach that area and distract the Killer to save them.

    But if they're near me, I'm trying. Not always easy to do, if the Killer wants to focus on them, if they don't follow me when I try to take them away, etc. And so far, no one protected me: each time, if a Survivor with no hook is near, they just hide while I'm chased on my death hook. But I actually don't expect too much from random teammates: they play the way they want, even if it displeases me.

  • I definitely see more survivors body blocking for someone who’s dead on hook.

    However, they are still not coordinated, and end up giving me a free hit, making the situation even worse.

  • @Superyoshiegg said:

    It's not a team game. Survivor A does not win if they die but Survivor B escapes, and vice versa.

    The store page for the game even mentions this.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/27FGTBFFUS0V/image.png

    Naturally, you'll have a better chance at escaping if you cooperate with your fellow Survivors, but it's by no means necessary. There's nothing wrong with not taking a hook for someone if you feel that won't lead to you escaping in the end.

    Perks like Sole Survivor, Technician, Left Behind, Self-Care, Inner Strength and Power Struggle all encourage a loner 'selfish' playstyle, just like how perks such as Leader, Borrowed Time, We're Gonna Live Forever, Aftercare, Solidarity and Better Together encourage teamwork and cooperation.

    Survivors working together make it a team game tho, it doesn't really matter what the description of the game says.

  • @solidhex said:

    How is your experience so far? Mine is that most survivors don't care to take a hit for a stranger if someone else is on death hook. There is always that immersed one with 0 hooks after escaping and then some still die early while the others don't bother. So it was probably not a lack of information but the general mindset of most solo survivors. There should be some kind of tutorial or hint ("You can only survive if you work together. Try to get the Killers attention to help the other survivors, who are close to death") to change set.

    Other than that, the new hook counter for survivors is great, you just have to use the information.

    The one for killers is ok'ish (it helps in certain situations but general hook count is not a super useful information) but i get why they don't want to give killers the hook-per-survivor information, it would encourage tunneling and it's something that every good killer should remember without handholding.

    Yeah, its too late for that. I used to take hits for strangers, but after saving people and then left to die on first hook while the others leave even against a non camping killer, you just stop doing it.

    Although the counter always tell me i should do it, my bad experiences with random survivors just overwrite it.

  • Survivors shouted, Totem Counter!

    Devs heard, Hook Counter!

  • "It's something that every good killer should remember without handholding."

    Then survivors should be held to the same standard. Give both sides the general counter or give both the tally marks. If a killer has to check to see how many times you've been hooked you haven't been tunneled.

  • @Yords said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1937572#Comment_1937572

    Survivors working together make it a team game tho, it doesn't really matter what the description of the game says.

    Except, like the first line of my comment reads, "Survivor A does not win if they die but Survivor B escapes, and vice versa".

    You do not win that trial if you died, even if another Survivor managed to escape. It's not a game like, for example, battle royales, where your whole team wins the match even if you didn't live to the end.

    Gameplay mechanics encourage both working together and solo playstyles. There wouldn't be perks that encourage the latter if your goal was to have every Survivor escape alive.

  • I still don't get the tunnel argument for the hook counter. If the killer is tunneling, why does it matter if they can see no one else has been hooked? The entire complaint of tunneling is they don't let you go and just place you right back on the hook negating additional chases.

    I see giving killers that information as a benefit for not tunneling when survivors choose the same skins/characters. Twin survivors are pretty common especially when it's swf.

  • I still get bad survivors crouching waiting for a unhook when the game even shows they're dead on the hook. I'm not being funny though I cant get ransoms to touch gens let alone think about team play

  • Honestly while playing killer I even got a Kate who positioned herself for the unhook when the dude was dead on hook. Personally it's been useful but I don't think my teammates take it much into consideration; for now at least.