MMR is a mistake and here's why?
So the concept of MMR is to "balance" out the game and to match survivors with "same level" killers. This idea is great until you get to high MMR, your going to have 4 solo survivors equivalent to a swf. This is also a bad design on the behalf of survivor getting paired with 4 "newbie" survivors and with a killer who doesn't know how to play, you guessed it, camping. So my conclusion, if you play killer at high MMR it'll be stressful every game, if you play survivor at low MMR then it'll be unfair for a "solo" survivors because they might Dc, go down within seconds and go complain about any killer and the way that they play.
Comments
Yh it is no fun to sweat every game. But it would be fair, i guess. And i dont see a difference for a solo survivor in low ranks compared to now.
Survivors on high mmr will only see the same killers over and over till the end of days. But mmr will be good for casual players, which is how this game is balanced around.
Why is that bad design?
If you can't handle SWF Command Squad gameplay MMR will drop you below it if you keep losing.
Sounds good.
Maybe I need to do more research on MMR.
I would wait to see how MMR plays out before we come to conclusions. People had the same concerns last time and it was a broken mess.
This is how MMR works in theory.
If you win a lot you go up in ELO, and face similar players with high ELO as well, so your skill levels will be pretty close. If you can't hack it at that level of play you will lose, lowering your ELO, and you go down and match with players who were not as good as the ones that destroyed you. Inversely, if you are playing against people far beneath you and smash them, your ELO goes up and you fight against people with better skills. You will eventually find your perfect spot in the pecking order because that's how actual MMR works. If you aren't at the top you'll need to suck it up and realize you're not as good as you thought you were. And if you're at the bottom you need to learn to get better.
In reality, BHVR can't implement a proper MMR system if a psychopath held a gun to their heads. In all likelihood MMR won't work at all and we'll just see random mixed rank matches all throughout our DBD lives.
I would also wait until the developers have any further notice on MMR before we come to conclusions and debate.
The only real downside to it is you shouldn't expect potatoes any more, which would mostly impact the kilelr side. But most of the more annoying swf, unless they intentionally throw after ten minutes of pure hell to maintain low elo (I can see plenty doing that), should face the sweatier killers over time (probably after months). I have no idea what "about your skill level" manifests as in a game like this though, it could become sweaty for kilelrs at all levels or it could generally mean a guy or two makes it out almost every single game but the killer always gets a guy or two and feels motivated to continue playing. That sounds pretty monotonous though, if it becomes that predictable, but on the bright side if most of the toxic swf groups face the sweatiest killers at least you would be truly dealing with very few of them as long as you knew how to throw a game every few as killer.
But red rank killers already were getting tired of that becoming more frequent for them judging from some of those kind of posts from time to time hear and elsewhere. So were they to be assured thatw as all they'd ever see, I can imagine killers drying up in higher elo with nothing that could (would) be done about it. Some have said event hought hey frequently can 4k, they just get tired of the sweat and that's understandable for anybody that came across those sort of groups. With dbd's matchmaking, even rank 15 killers have been coming across a few themselves in recent months.
When I came back to the game last year for pyramid, one of the very first matches after not playing for years was against 3 red ranks with somebody in the high brown teens so that they could get a guy who hadn't played in almost 4 years by then and screw with him with all the clicky clicky, block/revive shenanigans on one of his first matches back after remembering that was the kind of stuff that made hims top playing in late 2016. So don't expect high retention of killers at high elo if it works as intended. Even though they can handle it, they're not gonna wanna. And I don't blame them one bit. During that event going ona round ph release, the killer queue was ironically longer and I felt it wasn't worth sitting through it just to have a chance of more of that bs and I started playing survivor more lol. Survivor was far less boring now than it used to be in 2016, but some of that was abusing new perks I learned about, so over time I gravitated more towards survivor until the queues started getting longer more recently. Understandably so.
With 'proper' elo and the nerf trends still going on I probably wouldn't touch anything but survivor any more, and only even that if queues got down around or under 5 minutes again eventually. Backw hen in league matches would tend to last around 50 minutes on average for me (first few seasons mainly 2 and 3 especially 3 iirc), and a few times around an hour and 20 minutes in extremely close games waiting for the big mistake to make the big push, I still wouldn't have sat sround longer than 5 minutes in queue let alone in a game with much shorter matches like this one. The only exception I remember making int he past ten years or so was waiting up to around 20 to 25 minutes for guardians of middle-earth on the original console release simply because I love middle-earth themes and I kind of liked the loadout system and faster paced action focus of that game in spite of it's flaws (including in that loadout system like being locked into it all match when hard countered).
To be fair to the Devs, they themselves have stated that Rank doesn't matter in this game, and that it's not a true show of skill, and more so just a show of how much you've been playing recently.
With that being said, I'm not having high hopes for the MMR system- matchmaking has been really questionable recently, and I just kinda wonder what they're going to based 'Balanced' off of. Will it try to match you with players that will ensure a 2k/2 man escape every game if it's even, or will it be more like every other game being a 3/4 man escape, with the rest being 4ks? Because that's kinda what my current matchmaking has felt like.
As much as I am against MMR, I sometimes would love to be matched to same survivors to finish the unfinished business :D
It kinda seems like you just want easier games and don't want it to be as fair.
I see what you're getting at tho and I'd be a lot more cool with MMR if there was also a casual mode so if you don't feel like sweating your butt off you don't have to.