Playing nice ruins the game in the long run

There are many rules in the community to assure the opposite side has a fun experience. Some play with this rules, some dont.

While i think its nice to not ruin others fun and i try to do it, i wonder what effects it has in the long run.

When i dont abuse something, the data doesnt show the problem and the chance is higher that it will not be changed.

So could it be that for example the iridescent head and infantry belt combo would have be nerfed long ago, when more players had decided to abuse it?

Or does it make no difference?

Comments

  • I just find using the most overpowered items boring sometimes. I have way more fun chasing people around with a chainsaw or a knife than instadowning them with a truck sized hatchet.

    It’s not like most people are going to care if you kill them using broken items that everyone knows are broken. It’s more a source of annoyance than people thinking you genuinely outplayed them, which is the true source of salt IMO.

  • I've been playing EXTRA nice today and it's resulted in some of the funnest games in a while. I am trying to give survivors a break from the sweaty tryhard spirits with noed tunelling the hell out of people and such.

    It's been a blast; these survivors invited me to hang with them at the firepit:

    https://i.imgur.com/JiHCtN6.gif


    Let me be clear these are not even farm games, all I did was pull back when I had a CLEAR chance to tunnel someone, camp someone, and survivors just start having fun with stuff for a change.

    Sure these are not the examples you obviously want always, but the point is it all goes around, and there ARE things we all accept as problematic and unfun, but mostly it's because no one can read your mind. They have been through a lot of BS so they assume everyone/thing is going to be that.

    It's a game first; everyone wants to have fun, you can't please everyone but we all know when we are being not so great to one another; and we have a choice to be otherwise. It all circles around.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I've been playing EXTRA nice today and it's resulted in some of the funnest games in a while. I am trying to give survivors a break from the sweaty tryhard spirits with noed tunelling the hell out of people and such.

    It's been a blast; these survivors invited me to hang with them at the firepit:

    https://i.imgur.com/JiHCtN6.gif

    Let me be clear these are not even farm games, all I did was pull back when I had a CLEAR chance to tunnel someone, camp someone, and survivors just start having fun with stuff for a change.

    Sure these are not the examples you obviously want always, but the point is it all goes around, and there ARE things we all accept as problematic and unfun, but mostly it's because no one can read your mind. They have been through a lot of BS so they assume everyone/thing is going to be that.

    I Just leave games like that. I look forward to sweaty games. I hate afk killers and farming. I hate nice killers. I just want to play normally.

  • @noctis129 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1878313#Comment_1878313

    I Just leave games like that. I look forward to sweaty games. I hate afk killers and farming. I hate nice killers. I just want to play normally.

    I did play normally, THEY chose that at risk of their own death. (It also wasn't a farming game, it was a normal game)

    The point is "Playing nice" not being fun is subjective because I had a blast, and so did they. I mean if they all wanted to just die that's cool too, but I mean not ruining one person's day because I tunnelled them out at the start of the match is MORE fun for me than otherwise.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1878324#Comment_1878324

    I did play normally, THEY chose that at risk of their own death. (It also wasn't a farming game, it was a normal game)

    The point is "Playing nice" not being fun is subjective because I had a blast, and so did they. I mean if they all wanted to just die that's cool too, but I mean not ruining one person's day because I tunnelled them out at the start of the match is MORE fun for me than otherwise.

    I'm totally fine getting camped and tunneled. Just part of the game.

  • Which is fine too; but it's also not someone else's job to sweat for you either.

    I don't enjoy doing either of those things, and will even take a loss on a match if it means not doing so because that is what I find fun myself.

  • The Devs don't care about data, not in the way you think. For them it's just a convenient excuse to do things they way they want. Buffing weak killers, reworking unfair ones, getting rid of camping, tunneling, genrushing, holding W, abusing second chance perks and all that nonsense is hard, so the Devs hide behind stats. And if anyone thinks I'm Dev bashing, go look at all of their reasons for literally everything despite the numbers that the graphs show.

  • @TicTac said:

    There are many rules in the community to assure the opposite side has a fun experience. Some play with this rules, some dont.

    While i think its nice to not ruin others fun and i try to do it, i wonder what effects it has in the long run.

    When i dont abuse something, the data doesnt show the problem and the chance is higher that it will not be changed.

    So could it be that for example the iridescent head and infantry belt combo would have be nerfed long ago, when more players had decided to abuse it?

    Or does it make no difference?

    I’m of the thinking that something isn’t a problem if people don’t abuse it. It’s actually impossible to create a perfectly balanced game where none of the mechanics are abusable. The devs depend on the players to a certain extent to behave and be a good actor instead of a bad one. Sure many things we can balance and avoid unfairness but some are just not fixable unless the players agree to honor each other’s time and commitment.

    I guess what I’m saying is, yes we can balance certain things and probably should and not assume people will be good actors. But there really is no substitute for human decency and compassion. No matter how you balance something or whatever systems you create, these two things will never be replaceable.

  • @halfmanhalfape said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/220018/playing-nice-ruins-the-game-in-the-long-run

    I’m of the thinking that something isn’t a problem if people don’t abuse it. It’s actually impossible to create a perfectly balanced game where none of the mechanics are abusable. The devs depend on the players to a certain extent to behave and be a good actor instead of a bad one. Sure many things we can balance and avoid unfairness but some are just not fixable unless the players agree to honor each other’s time and commitment.

    I guess what I’m saying is, yes we can balance certain things and probably should and not assume people will be good actors. But there really is no substitute for human decency and compassion. No matter how you balance something or whatever systems you create, these two things will never be replaceable.

    The Culture of gaming comes into play here a lot. Lack of empathy, dehumanization, and shock humor have been deeply ingrained in online gaming for a long time. I've even found that if I compliment people after a match, they react defensively (offensively?) even if I'm being genuine. That's how accustomed players are to this [BAD WORD].

    Really, I think games are better when people aren't being sweaty or trying to antagonize. They run more smoothly, it feels like everyone is fulfilling the functions of their roles, and at the end, there's less BS in chat. Fewer hurled insults. I've met other people who invite me to play with them again that way, even. I don't particularly understand how the bad actors think when they're choosing to sabotage the game for someone else, but my general assumption is they have real-life issues that they take out on anonymous strangers because that's easier than confronting the real problems, or they have an actual personality disorder. And of course, the internet has taught them that griefing is how you deal with these things.

  • I like to play nice(ish) when I can. I usually let the last one go, I don't change my playstyle when there's no obsession, and if I think I can realistically get a 12 hook game (well, 11) then I'll probably go for that. Glad I play like that as well considering what matchmaking has been doing recently.

    20210113222115_1.jpg 20210115210539_1.jpg


  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I've been playing EXTRA nice today and it's resulted in some of the funnest games in a while. I am trying to give survivors a break from the sweaty tryhard spirits with noed tunelling the hell out of people and such.

    It's been a blast; these survivors invited me to hang with them at the firepit:

    https://i.imgur.com/JiHCtN6.gif

    Let me be clear these are not even farm games, all I did was pull back when I had a CLEAR chance to tunnel someone, camp someone, and survivors just start having fun with stuff for a change.

    Sure these are not the examples you obviously want always, but the point is it all goes around, and there ARE things we all accept as problematic and unfun, but mostly it's because no one can read your mind. They have been through a lot of BS so they assume everyone/thing is going to be that.

    Profound! I love these matches on both sides😌