Trapper's weak pink add-ons speak to his weakness
I think when even pink add-ons don't make a killer feel strong, the killer has serious problems. Think about how little they do in the grand scheme of things.
The iridescent stone is the 'stronger' of the 2, since every 30 seconds a trap gets automatically set. You can't do mindgames with your traps like you'd think. You know, the dream scenario of a trap getting reset mid chase and the survivor stepping on it. That will never happen. If you do manage to chase a survivor for 30 seconds, there's no guarantee they won't spot the trap first and run away, on top of a 30-second chase being game losing. And if you're chasing a survivor to a trapped loop, you'd better hope they're injured because they're gonna see that trap and use their sprint burst upon taking damage to run to a non-trapped loop. 30 seconds is too long of a cooldown. If you have a trap set at a gate, the survivors can disarm it and still be out before you get there, because a gate can be opened in 20 seconds, 10 seconds faster than this add-on. You can't hide that you have the add-on either. As soon as a survivor sees a set trap in a weird spot, because you haven't come to collect it yet, they'll know you have it.
Then there's the bloody coil that only slightly increases trap disarm time, but injures a healthy survivor when they disarm it. That's not good enough. Most high level survivors stay injured the whole match anyway. They can do gens, they still can use Dead Hard or Sprint Burst, they may have Resilience, and if they do get caught in a trap, you're only shaving off seconds of chase anyway with no added benefit because they weren't healthy. If a survivor is injured and disarms one of these traps, it does nothing to them. Assuming they were healthy, what are you gonna do, chase them because they're injured? They just turned your trapped loop into a completely safe loop again, and there's no reason for them to go down if they drop the pallet.
But using these 2 add-ons together must be ez mode, right? Wrong. A Trapper is still a Trapper. You have no map pressure, you have to lose 2 or 3 gens for set-up which might not even win you the game, maps counter you, OoO counters you, big maps destroy you unless you 3-gen. All these add-ons do is a make your bad killer slightly less bad. Traps can still be disarmed, injured survivors pushing gens is the norm, some of your traps may never even be stepped on, no gen slowing will save you.
Trapper just needs more. He can't even carry 2 traps at base, forcing you to choose between okay traps with a bag, or good traps with no bag. You can't hide his traps in the new grass because it's so transparent. Tar Bottle makes up for that, which is one of like 4 decent add-ons he has. Going around the map collecting the traps wastes entirely too much time. The other killers' power is so far beyond that of Trapper's. They can do what he can do, just better in every way. He's our mascot! How could you let this happen?!
Comments
The iridescent stone is not weak. You aren't really supposed to really hide traps with this one, you want to be very blunt with your traps to completely shut down loops. Use it with the stitched bag and spend a good chunk of time placing traps at loops. I recommend using corrupt intervention to give you time for this.
Don't hold your breath on an update to Trapper. People have been asking to make his bag add-on base-kit for a long time, everyone knows he is due for an update, but the developers move like molasses when it comes to killer.
He gets a teeny buff once every few major updates basically....
Resetting traps on the ground took years....getting a slight consistency buff to his traps took years....
Also more on topic.... mean Iri Stone and bloody coil are probably his strongest addons after all the bag addons....I mean trapper is a weak killer sure but those addons when compared to his other addons are really not that bad at all.
His add ons are even weaker when you take in the fact that 1 of those spots is almost always reserved for a trapper bag. I can't go into a match without one. I would like there to be some sort of skill check required to disarm a trap. Certain add ons make it smaller like Unnerving Presence on an Overcharge. Failure results in being trapped.
It really pisses me off when I think about how long Trapper has been needing a buff and the devs are just sitting on their hands. Wasn't there a chart where he was the most popular killer? You'd think they would have shown him a little love to please their players, but nooooo.
His red add-ons are good. Bloody Coil is a death sentance to anyone who gets put into a shack basement, there isn't really much they can do to buff that without making it overly difficult for survivors. I thought about them making it base-kit since I think there should be some risk to survivors when they choose to counter a killers power, but basement builds will be out in full force and the forums will be flooded with tears.
Iridescent stone should be buffed to where traps reset after 20 seconds instead of 30.
All he really needs is for Trapper bag to be made base kit, buff to base kit trap settings and automatic trap acquirement when he walks over disarmed traps. As things stand, game goes way to fast to be "fun" when playing as Trapper unless you get potatoes.
But as I highlighted, they do next to nothing against decent survivors, which calls into question the rest of his add-ons. Freddy and Blight get all sorts of cool add-ons for their power. Dream snares into dream pallets, undetectable while rushing, etc. What does Trapper get? MoDeRaTeLy increases trap disarm time/setting speed, makes traps DaRkEr. There's nothing to them. Honing Stone is one of the only good ones, and it's about as powerful as the pinks when it's a purple!
I can attest to bloody coil only being useful at shack. I've been having 1ks and 2ks because of coordinated teams, in which case these add-ons didn't mean #########. Then one game I put someone in the basement and trapped it up. That game ended up being a 3k and would have been a 4 if I wasn't getting gen rushed so hardcore. It's funny: "killer" shack is the most survivor sided tile in the game, and rests just above basement, the only killer sided tile in the game.
It's why I run either Agitation or Iron Grasp with Trapper. If there is a shack basement, I'm hauling your butt to it. I don't play without bloody coil, I pour all my blood points into it just to make my matches fair.
Now if they're potatoes, I will allow them to reset by walking to the other side of the map, but if they're sweaty, nope, I'm not going to sweat, I'll just stand upstairs and let them trade hooks.
Yeah they do, they are not that bad at all dude. Go ask Otz, a major trapper main, if you won't listen to me on it:
https://youtu.be/ShD_xVH8DR0?t=546The other addons sure I mean, he has a lot of bad addons and disarm and such is absolutely useless of course, but when talking about his iri addons they are not that bad. Sure they may not be game breaking or as interesting/fun as some others can be, but they are not "bad" at all.
Trapper is the poster-boy of DBD he should be the strongest killer in the game, not the weakest. I will trade a nerf on Freddy and Spirit for a big Trapper buff. Because I know if they give one thing to killers they will take two things away so, this is my offer.
I would too in a heartbeat. The dude needs some love.
Oddly enough I think the key point that trapper really started to suffer was the update to his trap that made it so the hitbox was reduced. It was pretty far back but it dropped about the time trapper got his add on updates. His iridescent are bonkers but his power is simply lacking an extra element. I was thinking his traps being naturally added to his inventory some kind of cooldown. Of course this would have a cap but No pick up or map traversal would be involved and a rearm ability that allows him to call on the entity to reset a targeted trap within 32 meters being base kit.
Trapper using even his best addons just barely gets him to B tier, which B tier in DBD is garbage tier.
Im afraid Survivors will need a team of 6men swf to vs Otz big Trapper buff.
The reduced hitbox is the most infuriating thing, because unless you have the trap pixel perfect in the center of a pallet or narrow walkway, the survivor can go to the edge of it and literally walk over it whereas you can't. It's basically an exploit that's been left in the game for months if not years. It's a free Dead Hard, you could say, since Dead Hard allows you to go over traps for some reason.
This could actually be the buff he needs. Make the coils reduce the skillcheck size, and failing the skill check causes you to get trapped
@Yords
I agree with you. I am an avid Trapper player (currently rank 3) and anytime I use Iri-stone the value I get is in the fact that the survivor does not know I have it. So most of the time they disarm, I come back to that loop and they ‘think’ it’s already disarmed so they step into it thinking they were safe.
This is also a reason why I mostly never go to where a trap was disarmed IF I have this add on.