BHVR has a problem with transparency and it's slowly driving people away from the game.

That's right, after giving it a lot of thought I've come to the conclusion that a significant part of the grudges towards Behaviour stem from their (seemingly) lack of transparency. I'm not writing this just to bash the devs btw. I'd love to be wrong but so far everything I've seen lately leads me to believe they just don't want to keep players in the loop.

Think about it, their latest sketchy decision to get rid of ranks would be fine IF they at least gave players a way to know where they stand compared to their teammates/opponents. But what do they do instead? In true BHVR fashion they just hide it under the rug. Nothing to see here folks! You just have to trust that our changes are working, just like they did last time!

And we all know it's not the first time the devs don't communicate with the community. Just look at the know issues section in the Patch Notes from last chapter:

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/kb/articles/270-4-4-0-a-binding-of-kin

and compare it to what the community found:

@chieften333 said:

(Here's the link to my second post, you can still comment bugs on this one, but they'll be added to the second list: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/210412/known-issues-with-this-chapter-2-electric-boogaloo/p1?new=1)

With victor

1. He can't pounce up any type of slope, doesn't matter how minor

2. He has the chance to fall through the ground

3. He has the chance to get stuck in the ground, where he shall remain for the rest of his days

4. Can now touch people in lockers, poor dwight mains.

5. Can be kidnapped for 45 seconds, and through hatch without a promise of child support income.

6. Can camp like a pro, he packed gear and everything.

7. Can float on a survivor he is attached to, same with Charlotte. Victor decided he was too cool for the ground, and ascended to a higher plane of existence to avoid it.

8. Victor is too lazy to stop survivors from leaving through the exit gate

9. Victor's killer instinct for dying people is inconsistent. Sometimes reveals those on a hook too.

10. Victor can get stuck in his falling animation, which can only be stopped by being kicked by survivors.

11. Idle animation is bugged in lobby

12. FOV can be stuck at 45°, same for charlotte.

13. Victor does not move corn or grass

14. If a survivor disconnects with victor on their back, victor disappears with them

15. Victor can be displaced during the mori, causing him to bite the air next to the survivor.

16. If insidious is taken victor is constantly undetectable.

17. Victor can participate in the kerbil space program.

18. Victor does not activate spinechill, sneaky little [BAD WORD]

19. After being kicked victor sometimes will slide away

20. If victor lands on an elevated plane he'll be unable to get off. Side not - survivors who attempt to kick him will float up into the air and kick him, then fall back down.

With Charlotte

1. Can have a black screen if you switch too fast, switch again to make it go away

2. Can get stuck in the ground like victor, at least they're together

3. Her power can be taken away for 45 seconds

4. Takes too long to wake up after playing victor, usually happens when switching quickly between the two.

5. Apparently can't get points from BBQ, bubba decided not to share any chili with the twins.

6. devout emblem is currently bugged, no adept twins for you buddy.

7. Purple cosmetic is locked as a set, despite trailer stating otherwise.

8. Spinning top addon doesn't make survivors drop their items

9. Switching between the two can sometimes cause you to get stuck in an animation loop.

10. When switching to charlotte there is a chance you'll move at fatigue speed for the rest of the match.

11. Charlotte can be displaced during her mori, making her kill the air next to the survivor.

12. Has a ribbon on the butcher knife that has clipping issues ( pretty minor, but whatever )

13. Landing a lunge will kill victor as if he were on top of an object for too long, even if he's on the ground.

With perks

1. Hoarder just straight up doesn't work ( apparently it sometimes does, but very inconsistently)

2. Deception has the chance to not work in high ping ( cries in ps4 )

3. Power struggle no longer works with flip flop, No free pallet stuns for you meghead.

4. Power struggle can cause you to become one with a pallet

5. Indicator for deathbound still happens, but no scream is heard

6. Spies from the shadows triggers when people are on hook... despite this issue being fixed a couple updates ago.

7. When oppression triggers a hard skill check, it replaces the one you're currently doing. Causing you to miss it, unless you have godlike reflexes.

With flashlights

1. Now has sway for some reason? Get better hands I guess??

2. Blinding angle is off, to compensate for this the killers eyes have been adjusted 5 feet to the left.

With hillbilly

1. Hillbillies chainsaw randomly overheats, guaranteed to happen when breaking a pallet with the chainsaw. Rev it to let it cool down.

With Legion

1. legion lost their movement speed in frenzy. Look for funny comment below.

2. Rumors state legion has a lunge range in frenzy as short as your [BAD WORD]

3. The mask now defines what gender the legions voice is.

4. They longer have increased field of view when in frenzy

With spirit

1. Survivors have partial collision, you can still run through them, but you'll wobble to the side first. Essentially acting as an indicator for when you're in a survivor.

With Oni

1. He no longer does the "sucking blood" animation when hitting a healthy survivor.

2. oni hears his 'blood fury ready' cue extremely loudly.

With deathslinger

1. Reeling in survivors at windows doesn't let you reel them in entirely, it'll stop after a certain point.

With pyramid head

1. From survivors POV pyramid head is sometimes dragging his sword through the ground, like when he uses his power.

2. You can be stuck with the dragging noise the entire match

With Leatherface

1. No longer receives movement speed boost from the chainsaw

2. Chainsaw revving noise can play indefinitely, rev again to stop it.

with demogorgon

1. Getting stunned in the middle of shred can cause you to move at shred speed for the rest of the game. (I.E the speed you move when you hold it)

2. Violet waxcap description is displaying file name instead of actual description

With plague

1. You continue to hear her whispers. even after corrupt purge has ended

With killers in general

1. 115% killers appear to be moving slower, so far it seems to be purely visual.

2. Killers with long coats get bunched up, apparently has been happening since 4.3.2

3. Sometimes killer chase music doesn't play, could be limited to legion.

4. trap killers can't place traps near the exit gate on reworked maps.

With Elodie Rakoto

1. She is LOUD on switch

2. Outfit description is glitched, occassionally displaying a random sequence of numbers and letters.

With Kate

1. Her Oktoberfest dress clips through lockers

With survivors in general

1. Some survivor animations appear blocky, good news is you can do a wierd little shuffle type movement.

2. Mending and waking up have no animation

3. the silent slug glitch is still in the game somehow

4. If killers have graphics on low they can see survivors in lockers when they enter the building the locker is in.

5. survivor hair and "dangly bits" can become comically large.

6. According to some, downed survivors can get sucked into lockers

With maps

1. A rock can spawn in front of a window in ormond. Vaulting the window will cause you to get stuck in the rock

2. In sanctum of wrath, if you drop survivors on the end of the shrine, they'll sometimes fall through

3. A rock can spawn in front of a hook in Ormond, preventing you from hooking there.

4. A rock can spawn next to yamaoka estate shack door, is a fat shaming spot for killers. Dwaynes really getting around these days.

5. Row of rocks on ormond can be climbed by everyone. If killer picks up a survivor on them they can't leave until they drop the survivor.

6. When phasing with spirit on ormond, some textures glitch out, getting an odd red glow.

7. Hooks seem to spawn much further away ( could only be in recently reworked maps, will have to wait for further information )

With totems

1. Sometimes hex totems look the same as dull totems

Miscellaneous

1. The usual framerate issues everyone has (it's been 2 years where is the optimization?)

2. Shack pallet on ormond can only be broken from inside the shack, most likely due to height difference between the inside and outside

3. Blood warden doesn't prevent survivors from leaving... again

4. Clown now has a delay between throwing a bottle and lunging. He could hit them, he just chooses not to.

5. Freddy can't place puddles in doorways

6. Mikey's chase music doesn't stop playing for a couple seconds after a survivor is downed.

7. Killer now hears survivor pov chase music, for those who have original chase music. Doesn't affect those where the track is the same on both ends.

8. Sometimes grass disappears at a distance

9. Nurses attack animation doesn't play occasionally, but the attack still occurs.

10. Apparently huntress's axes are flying in directions other than where you are looking. Sometimes as bad as 20° off

11. Survivors can sort of see their own scratch marks.

12. Multiple cases of desync, one with spending bloodpoints on the twins, another in a trial ( most likely dedicated servers )

13. Accidentally added in reworked description of clowns ether 5 vol% addon.

14. Gen counter forgets to count completed gens, but eventually catches up to itself.

15. 4th anniversary items no longer explode in confetti

16. Patch notes on xbox are glitched, occassionally display random sequences of numbers. (How ironic)

17. Occassional hit validation shenanigans.

18. Black ward doesn't preserve addons on the twins

19. Apparently any killer that would recieve movement speed increases now no longer receives them ( except blight, it's been reported on a couple killers )

20. Names not displayed in endgame screen, no score, no stats displayed either ( so far only reported on windows XP)

21. Endgame chat reportedly not working on windows XP

Total issue count: 153

( Some of these may have been present before the chapter dropped, I know for a fact at least two are)

This post has gotten too big for me to properly manage, I've made a second one under the title "known issues with this chapter: 2, electric boogaloo"

if any are still comments being posted in this one, I'll try my best to move them over to the second list.

Now obviously the last chapter had a significantly larger amount of bugs, even for DbD but doesn't it bug (hehe) you a little that considering how broken the game was, no one had the brilliant idea of setting up a section where bugs would be acknowledged by the devs, so we would know they were at least doing something about it?

Next example, look at last Halloween event. That was a ######### show no matter how you look at it and most people weren't happy. How did BHVR respond? You guessed it, "Here's some [insignificant amount] bloodpoints now be quiet." Now I know better than to demand things from a company that's basically trying to make the most amount of profit, but if their only way of "making things up" to the players after every ######### up is to throw in some bloodpoints it's no surprise people fall out of love with the game.

How about the HUD? I have yet to find ANYONE who asked for this change. I watched the stream and they announced this as the greatest thing. As if the majority of players were expecting this change and not bug fixes. Yeah I get it there's different teams working on it blah blah. But it looks like the team working on graphics updates has been hard at work. Where's quality control then? What are they doing? What bugs are they working hard to fix at the moment? I want to know and most people who play this game want to know and we get radio silence from BHVR or just gaslighting from one of the lead devs. Why? How hard is it to find a channel to keep the community updated??

I can name a lot more iterations of Behaviour blindsiding their own playerbase but you get the idea. What about their stats that they just stopped publishing? What about some more info on why dedicated servers are still a mess? You just don't need to know apparently. Or wait here's a good one...how about they let their community know why they choose to address certain problematic perks but leave others alone even though they should be taken care of under their own rationale for said changes? I certainly would love to know.

What about poor console folks stuck with a game that performs subpar? Wouldn't it be fair to give them a time frame of when they should expect the issues to be resolved? How hard would that be?? Just come up with a number. 3 months? 6 months? A YEAR would be better than nothing on your part. But here we are. Since they don't ever commit to a deadline, nobody can hold them accountable for not delivering on their promises, "we never said it would be ready by this date." and so the issues pile up, as they have until now.

Until the devs realize stubbornly pushing content out isn't the answer I can't really see a long term future for the game. Like Scott said it will stay afloat as long as there's a constant influx of new players but then what?

I love DbD, otherwise I wouldn't be wasting time writing this, but I jwish BHVR was just a little bit more open towards their players. If they communicated the reasons behind doing what they do and why they decide to push out stuff nobody asked for I think people would be a lot less frustrated with the devs. Just because people love their game doesn't mean Behaviour should get a free pass every time they make questionable decisions, especially when they pretend everything is great.


TL;DR: Behaviour doesn't care about keeping the community in the loop and instead keep on blindsiding the playerbase with changes nobody asked for. Meanwhile they purposely refuse to be transparent about issues that actually affect gameplay and that players have been asking them to fix for a long time. Instead of being open and transparent about what they can and can't (or won't) fix they chose to selectively not acknowledge problems with the game so they don't have to be held accountable for not addressing them in a timely manner.

Comments

  • Ma post was mentioned :D

    And yeah, sadly it's a pretty accurate summary.

    I wish these devs would be open with us, i miss the days when they held dev streams. At least then there was some communication with the community. Now it just seems like they ignore us, guess we'll know for sure if the robotic animations and terrible UI make it into the game.

    Edit: might make another list when the mid chapter comes out

  • Funnily enough all the nonsense of the past 3.5 years didn’t lead me to quit the game, but I really doubt I’ll continue to play this game if that new HUD makes it into the game. So many (as mentioned above) bugs and issues with this game that we have to deal with, I simply can’t take a HUD that makes the game worse. (Call it the straw that broke the camels back).


    the game is just turning into a dumpster fire and the people who make a lot of these decisions apparently don’t even play the game. (Never convince me that the people who made this horrible HUD have played this game for more than 5 minutes and thought it was a good idea)

  • Greed changes people. I'll leave this video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmBZ33GMbs0&t=2s

    Since cosmetics, and the $$$ started rolling in, transparency has flown out the window.

  • Completely agree that lack of transparency is a huge issue with this game's development. Either the developers aren't confident enough in their decisionmaking to let us know so it can be scrutinized, their ability to gather accurate information is so bad they know they'll react poorly, or their motivations are something they know they can't defend saying.

    If I'm wrong, then they can come out and tell me why they don't tell us anything. oh wait :þ

  • I'd like to know what the hell happened to optimizing for consoles. I'm on PS4 Pro and the game doesn't run well, and I can't switch to PC because there's no cross-progression. Every time frames drop and I miss a hit or some other nonsense my resentment grows, and then add to that dedicated servers screwing me out of the majority of my grabs.

    As someone prone to headaches, if that new HUD goes live, that might be it for me. If I can train myself to completely ignore the HUD, maybe I could avoid the eye strain... humans have trained themselves to ignore banner ads, this wouldn't be much different. But I shouldn't have to sacrifice knowing what's going on just to play a game that so far has had an easy-to-read-even-with-blurry-vision HUD.

    It's already been a good while since I played a single match, and every day the thought of uninstalling becomes a little more enticing. If the game just had a couple issues, that'd be one thing, but it's got bad matchmaking on top of bugs on top of poor console optimization on top of the pain that is dedicated servers on top of this upcoming HUD change, and at some point enough's enough. I feel like if they want me to help with the long survivor queues in my region then I should get paid to play killer. Instead, I'm the one who paid money... if you can't tell, I passed "frustrated" a long while back.

    I apologize, this sounds angrier than I'd like (because I currently have a raging headache from chronic insomnia), but this stuff needs to be said and repeated until things either change or the game dies under the crushing weight of all its issues.

  • @chieften333 said:

    Ma post was mentioned :D

    And yeah, sadly it's a pretty accurate summary.

    I wish these devs would be open with us, i miss the days when they held dev streams. At least then there was some communication with the community. Now it just seems like they ignore us, guess we'll know for sure if the robotic animations and terrible UI make it into the game.

    Edit: might make another list when the mid chapter comes out

    How should they be like that, if they only work for 15 days in one month?

  • Overthinking dbd is bad for your health.

  • @xenofon13 said:

    Overthinking dbd is bad for your health.

    Trust me, the game does a great job of reminding me of these issues every time I play so I don't actually need to overthink.

  • Wonder if there will be another PTB release before the final release that maybe fixes some things up? My guess would be probably not.

  • @OBX said:

    Funnily enough all the nonsense of the past 3.5 years didn’t lead me to quit the game, but I really doubt I’ll continue to play this game if that new HUD makes it into the game. So many (as mentioned above) bugs and issues with this game that we have to deal with, I simply can’t take a HUD that makes the game worse. (Call it the straw that broke the camels back).

    the game is just turning into a dumpster fire and the people who make a lot of these decisions apparently don’t even play the game. (Never convince me that the people who made this horrible HUD have played this game for more than 5 minutes and thought it was a good idea)

    The same. I've noticed that Community Managers and Devs post comments on the forum less often than a few months ago. Many players rightly criticize the new HUD. But none of the developers even tried to defend the new HUD in the feedback forums. They could explain to us why it is better than the old one. But we get silence.

  • @Mendax said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1876946#Comment_1876946

    The same. I've noticed that Community Managers and Devs post comments on the forum less often than a few months ago. Many players rightly criticize the new HUD. But none of the developers even tried to defend the new HUD in the feedback forums. They could explain to us why it is better than the old one. But we get silence.

    The devs are not required to comment on the forums as it is not part of their job. From my understanding, Almo and other devs post on their own time(I'm not referring to community managers).

  • @The_Bootie_Gorgon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1877341#Comment_1877341

    The devs are not required to comment on the forums as it is not part of their job. From my understanding, Almo and other devs post on their own time(I'm not referring to community managers).

    Sorry, you're right. Yes, it's more about Community Managers.

  • I mean they could communicate with us and choose not to...so I mean I can only assume they are arrogant and see it as beneath them.

  • I have come to the belief that they have no intention of fixing the many bugs and issues this game has. It seems like they just plan to do what they keep on doing and that is pump out more chapters and figure out how to make more money.

    It won't get better until the player base shows that they have had enough, but with the amount of onsie cosmetics I have seen after the terrible last chapter, it doesn't seem like thats the case.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I mean they could communicate with us and choose not to...so I mean I can only assume they are arrogant and see it as beneath them.

    I don’t know if they’re necessarily being arrogant. They need people to keep playing the game after all. But they definitely for one reason or another feel like maintaining active communication channels between them and the community isn’t essential for the future of the game...it is.