Why do people hack for trophies?

I'm not even talking about hacking to trick the game into thinking you earned them, as that would actually make at least a little bit of sense.

I've faced about 5 people who have hacked in order to get the evil incarnate trophy (over quite a large course of time but I just played against one now, hence why I'm making this thread) and I just want to know what the point is, what fun do you get out of cheating? Why not just save everyone the hassle, trick the game into thinking you got the achievement and leave it at that?

Sorry that this thread was kind of pointless but to be completely honest, I'm just trying to waste time until my DC penalty finishes.

Comments

  • I haven't done it myself, but I've wanted to with other games, and it's purely for completion's sake with trophies that are more or less literally impossible to get.

    For example, the multiplayer trophies in Far Cry 4. I played that game a few years after it came out and nobody was playing its generic, tacked on multiplayer. No way to get the "play one of each game mode" trophy because nobody was playing. That drove me crazy, knowing I could get all trophies... except that one. That one impossible trophy stopping me from reaching 100%. That's why I'd hack trophies anyway, though I imagine with reasonably obtainable trophies people just want the 100% without the effort.

  • @indieeden7 said:

    I'm not even talking about hacking to trick the game into thinking you earned them, as that would actually make at least a little bit of sense.

    I've faced about 5 people who have hacked in order to get the evil incarnate trophy (over quite a large course of time but I just played against one now, hence why I'm making this thread) and I just want to know what the point is, what fun do you get out of cheating? Why not just save everyone the hassle, trick the game into thinking you got the achievement and leave it at that?

    Sorry that this thread was kind of pointless but to be completely honest, I'm just trying to waste time until my DC penalty finishes.

    Because like all, pathetic, wannabe cheaters they don't want earn anything. They just want people to think they look cool? I can't imagine taking any pleasure from an award or a win that I know I cheated to obtain. I would always know, and the knowledge itself would be a constant reminder of what a sad little person I would be. But then again, people are wired differently.

    Some people are driven by the demons of EXTERNAL validation, i.e. they care what "other" people think and that trumps anything else.

    Some people are driven by the demons of INTERNAL validation, i.e. their on personal standards and code matter more than anything else.

    *Most SANE, well-adjusted people are a mix of both and external and internal validation matters only for things that ACTUALLY matter, rather than silly things like video games, or people thinking you are a chicken, or whatever.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Just for the sake of doing it, I guess.

    Hackers are weird, especially in shooter games where some people hack their leaderboard stats into saying that they have 999,999,999 kills and negative 999,999,999 deaths. Just... What the hell is the point?

    I haven't seen something that obvious in quite a long time except the leaderboards of single player games that upload stats of players from over the internet for whateevr stupid reason anybody ever thought that was a great idea or if some of us cared how others played. some probably felt safer cheating that kind of board simply because the games were essentially single player and they had no anticheat to go through and figured you won't get banned from a single player game since that could be some legal trouble there (access revoked to purchased products with no justification in single player games and money not returned).

  • How do you know they're hacking the trophy? I don't play on console so I don't exactly know how you would

  • @Shroompy said:

    How do you know they're hacking the trophy? I don't play on console so I don't exactly know how you would

    Was able to stalk through solid objects and speedhacking