Why self care is not as good as it seems at first; newbies who run it plz read

I am going to be honest. Self-care used to be my favorite perk, I would literally say that it was the best survivor perk. That is until I used iron will one time and it changed everything.

lol self care literally makes you heal yourself twice as slow which seems not so bad at first, but over the course of the whole game, sitting in one spot for 32 seconds is not good in terms of efficiency. This is especially true if you decide to go to the corner of the map first and then heal, that takes even longer. Seriously, don't do that. Those 32 seconds or more if the killer has slowdown perks, could be spent working on a generator that helps your whole team.

Now, is self care a trash perk? Of course not, it has its uses. You just have to use it when necessary. For example, if you are on death hook and need to be healthy, go right ahead and heal since you need it most. If your team just did a generator or two, then take the time you need to heal yourself since people are doing just fine.

Tips and tricks to use when having self care: If you decide to run it

99'ing the heal. This means, you heal yourself until the progress bar is almost filled up and then right as it is about to finish the heal, stop. You would want to do this for a couple of reasons: You are against a ghostface, billy, and bubba. These killers have the ability to instantly down you if you are at full health. What you should be doing is 99'ing the heal and right as they go over for a normal m1 hit, finish the heal. You are going to have to have at least two seconds to do this so time it right. This way you get a speed boost and run away and the killers have to chase you again. You can do this with a medkit as well.

By doing this, you have just robbed them of the chance they had to insta-down you making it take longer to down you if they continue to chase you. You guaranteed that they would hit you normally.

Now, you can also do this against the legion. The Legion doesn't have the ability to insta-down you, but he does have the ability to keep you injured really easily. Usually, the best thing to do against a legion is to not heal because if you heal, the legion can just injure you really easily again wasting your time.

Against a legion, you also want to try 99'ing the heal. A legion is a basic m1 killer so he is going to have to swing at you normally if he wants to down you. Same with the other killers, you force them to hit you normally.

Baiting the killer with a 99'd heal. This is something you could do against a Wraith or another decent or weak killer. If you 99 the heal, then you can trick the killer into thinking that they can get an easy down on you. Little do they know, that you are actually good at being chased around and wasting their time. By the time they find out that you just 99'd your heal, they will have wasted precious time.

I hope this helps, next time try running iron will or dead hard. It makes you being injured not as bad and gives you more opportunities in terms of surviving.

Comments

  • I appreciate all your tips!, Since I am newer to dBd even I myself think that self-care's the best perk possible. I might be wrong I am sorry I don't know much but adding botany knowledge makes you heal faster which to me when I heal myself I feel like it's faster than 33 Seconds and probably is. But it's great how you just explained all this to me I understand alot now. And I'll definitely use your tricks.

  • Self care is imo a great perk for one main reason, it allows me to be very greedy with pallets. I can take a hit and it's no big deal as if killer drops the chase I can be healthy again in 32s which is faster then looking for someone and healing in 16s as you take 2 people away from gens (16+16s + travel time) insted of just 1.

    People misusing it to heal vs legion or run to corners of maps isn't the perk's fault and usually, you can't rush gens as your solo teammates are dying every 10s so you need to be healthy for saves or for your chases to be long enough so that you compensate for their bad ones.

  • @ihavenonameThanks said:

    I appreciate all your tips!, Since I am newer to dBd even I myself think that self-care's the best perk possible. I might be wrong I am sorry I don't know much but adding botany knowledge makes you heal faster which to me when I heal myself I feel like it's faster than 33 Seconds and probably is. But it's great how you just explained all this to me I understand alot now. And I'll definitely use your tricks.

    Base Self Care takes 32 seconds 24 with Botany.

  • @ihavenonameThanks said:

    I appreciate all your tips!, Since I am newer to dBd even I myself think that self-care's the best perk possible. I might be wrong I am sorry I don't know much but adding botany knowledge makes you heal faster which to me when I heal myself I feel like it's faster than 33 Seconds and probably is. But it's great how you just explained all this to me I understand alot now. And I'll definitely use your tricks.

    You can use botany knowledge and desperate measures to speed up the healing. Pair this with resilience and you got a fast self care and you can 99% for the resilience buff. Its a fun build, but not the strongest.

  • Self-Care/Botany/DS (or BT or Resillience)/Exhaustion is a fine solo build.

  • I’ll repeat this till I’m dead.

    Self Care is not meant to be used on its own.

    It’s meant to be used with AT LEAST a medkit, but ideally Botany Knowledge and a medkit.

    Self Care is meant to be “back up” for when/if a medkit runs out of charges mid heal.

    There’s not a chance in hell you have Self Care in your kit, but not Botany Knowledge.