Challenge, come up with a new chase mechanic idea (not a Killer power)
I want something new in chases other than holding W, do you guys have any ideas on a new chase mechanic?
Note: I don't want ideas for a Killer power, I am talking about a mechanic like Breakable Walls but a mechanic that would be used in chases.
Comments
Environmental hazards would be nice , either slowing or displacing the killers and survivors. Thicker mist offerings are always my favorite.
I had a game on dead dawg where after finishing the gen on the hangman's platform the trapdoors opened and dropped me right into the face of a hillbilly, who promptly chainsawed me.
So this isn't a interactable thing like breakable walls and more of a reverse bloodlust
This is a big fat WIP btw cause when I made this, I never wanted it to see the light of day
This new mechanic is called "Brink Chase", which occurs when you enter a chase while injured, escaping a brink chase rewards 2x as much points as a normal chase, and adds 500 to the survival category.
A Brink chase will not activate if the following occurs
-Exiting a chase and re-entering it within the grace period (Brink Chases start after the injured survivor was outside a 16 meter radius of the killer for more than 5 seconds)
-If you are healthy (If injured during a chase that was started while you were healthy, it will not become a brink chase)
During a Brink Chase, if you are sprinting for 45 seconds your movement speed will be reduced by 2%, and this number will keep increasing by .2% until you recover from this new status effect. It takes 15 seconds of walking to recover from it, 10 seconds of standing still to recover from it, and 5 seconds of crouching to recover from it. (Every 5 seconds the movement speed reduction increases by .2%, to a maximum of a 4% increase to movement speed reduction)
This makes survivors want to heal or they will risk a more difficult chase if caught again.
To everyone reading this
IT IS A WORK IN PROGRESS, NOT MEANT TO SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY. Also this concept was made from a scrapped m/s system that never appeared
Breakable windows :^)
I mean the only one i ever had since 2016 was a harpoon gun and Deathslinger brought it so no sadly :'(
Maps like the swamp should actually be... swampy. If the killer chases you into the water, you both have to wade through it slowing move speed.
On one hand, a survivor could trick a killer into getting stuck in it (hillbilly charge, nurse blink, etc). And on another, a killer could do the same. Could make for some funny/interesting moments.
On maps like Ormond, they could have the same mechanics just instead of water, itd be snowdrifts.
I mean... when Breakable Walls were revealed, I legit thought that the Killers would be yeeting themselves through them like the Kool Aid Man. Essentially this would give Killers a 1 time use thing to maybe cut off a Survivor but would then give the Survivor more options later. Maybe after that, Survivors can come by later and have a 4 second interaction where they can reform the rubble into a crude barrier that acts like a thrown pallet until the Killer breaks it.
Does that count?
Well until Killers with no mobility start moving more than FIFTEEN PERCENT faster than running Survivors, holding W will always be the be-all end-all of chases with most Killers, so new mechanics aren't exactly going to fix that.
I don't want a new mechanic so that stuff can just fix themselves, I want people to come up with ideas for a new mechanic for the fun factor. Don't overthink it bud.
"I want something new in chases other than holding W"
I think that I'd be cool to yeet yourself into certain windows, breaking them in the progress. Same with breakable walls, I think that they should be anime smashing through em instead of punching and kicking em.
Yeah so? Did I say that I want to FIX holding W? Holding W will always be a part of the game, but I just want something else in chases. I never expect a new chase mechanic to "fix" holding W...
But until they fix holding W, adding new functions will be pointless because no one will use them over holding W.
Why wouldn't they use them? For example, a new mechanic could be pranks/traps for killers to step in (a bucket falling in their head that stuns them).
land mines
Sliding. I would love it if there were interactions where a Survivor could slide under something.
Also, Breakable Walls should be what we all thought: bust through it like the Kool-Aid Man, 1 time drop on the survivors, not excuses for bad map design.
Dynamic environments would be cool. For example, running beside a hill on Ormond and all of a sudden snow starts falling, slowing both Survivor and Killer; Looping a L T loop on Autohaven and all of a sudden the L wall just crumbles into debris; Running through the Badwater Swamp and stepping into a sinkhole, etc.
I'd love it if certain spots were interactable with certain Killer powers. Examples would be using Shock Therapy could overcharge a particular pallet, making it shatter 3 seconds after being thrown; a certain generator can be affected by the Afterpiece Tonic to start regressing after throwing a bottle at it; Legion can slide by a small gap while in Feral Frenzy, or Hag creating a glyph on a dull totem to have an effect when it's cleansed.
Just some ideas
Because why do that when you can just tape down a singular key on your keyboard and become invincible against most Killers?
Survivors having a stamina bar. Your stamina slowly decreases over a 60 second duration. The bar goes up when not moving, and the 60 seconds restarts when getting hit. When stamina runs out, survivors run 25% slower. Stamina bar only goes down when running.
So, its a "survivors aren't allowed to win" mechanic, I like it!
No. While I don't agree with how they described it, I kind of like it. Something that deals with just holding W for 9 hours.
Mechanic: Momentum.
Each 20 seconds while running, a survivor gets +1% momentum (basically haste) (up to 15%), but going faster makes it slightly harder to stop. Slowly lose momentum by walking for 3 seconds (3 seconds = -1 momentum. For each momentum, your vault speed gets 1% faster but your turning gets worse and you slide a bit forward if you come to a complete stop (more momentum = longer the slide).
The idea is to make it so survivors can have a counter against Bloodlust 3 Killers that don't break pallets, but make W holding survivors easier to get as killer (assuming you try mindgaming them). This is rushed since I am needing to go fast, but I'll try fleshing it out when I have the chance. Feel free to comment right now, though.
Give the survivors weapons (but then this'd just be a lesser version of Left 4 Dead). That's one of the few things I can think of to legitimately change the core gameplay mechanics of this game. Everything else is just sort of throwing a wrench into the current chase looping strats, but not really altering it.
All jokes aside, Windows blocked off by breakable windowpanes.
Maybe it damages the survivor to jump through, it wont down, but it will always wound you.
but then what about things like tractors or fences, that makes no sense for window panes.
Otherwise, I love that idea. Maybe have it inflict something like Mangled or Deep Wounds as well.
Obviously, places that dont have Window panes should not have it. its a feature of buildings.