Something I think many survivors misunderstand about Self Care & Saboteur.
Both of these perks are divisive, with many viewing these as bad perks. Most of those feelings stem from the fact that so many use these perks purely on their own.
This a poor way to use these perks. They’re meant to be “insurance” for in the event a toolbox or med kit runs out of charges.
Saboteur: this perk should be used with a tool box. If your prerogative is to regularly try and save carried team mates by sabotaging hooks, you should simply be using Saboteur to take advantage of the aura reading, but use your tool box to perform the sabotage. That Saboteur allows you to sabotage a hook without a tool box is simply “insurance” in the event your tool box runs out of charges mid sabotage.
Self Care: bare minimum is that if you’re going to run Self Care, you should always be taking a med kit too so that you’re able to get an additional 20% of usage out of the med kit charges. Exactly the same as I explained with Saboteur, Self Care’s ability to allow self heal without a med kit is meant to be insurance in the event your med kit runs out of charges mid heal. Much more ideal is that Self Care really ought to be paired with Botany Knowledge and a Med Kit. This way a balance is struck between having a perk that is useful to your team, allowing you to heal yourself or teammates quickly, and get a whopping extra 53% of extra use out of your Med Kit charges when using med kits to heal yourself.
Summary: when using either of these perks without the complimentary and relevant item, you are simply hurting yourself and your team.
Comments
People are really piling on that Nancy
Self Care + Botany + yellow medkit. That's the way to go. 2 medkits heals and Self Care/Botany once it's done. Mmmmm.
Huh?
Sloppy Butcher? Check.
Coulrophobia? Check.
Exposed Status? Check.
Oh yeah. It's self care time.
There was a nancy in one of otz's videos that was using self care. Especially funny considering nancy comes with inner strength.
Ever since then I've seen an uptick in videos and posts about self care. I just find it all pretty [BAD WORD] funny.
Exactly.
It allows self sufficiency, but it’s still a load out that’s very helpful to the team.
Self Care on its own without a med kit right from the get go (not because a med kit ran out) usually causes more problems than it solves.
Yeah, first two instances it’s dumb when still self caring.
I can understand someone still healing even with exposed simply to mitigate the noise and blood trails. Still dumb if it’s just Self Care on its own though.
Ah ok.
I would also like to say that Self Care + Built To Last + yellow medkit is a good combo, because you run out of the medkit about 2/3 of the way through the second heal, finish with SC while BTL is recharging the kit, and when you're done you have 50% of a medkit, which is still a heal and a half. So it's actually better than Botany Knowledge if you feel like foregoing the blanket bonus to speed.
I like Botany Knowledge, Built To Last, Self Care, Street Wise.
It makes med kits VERY powerful.
I am an old crusty who was playing back when Trapper was the only killer, so I have a huge soft spot for self care, but I do agree its probably not optimal.
Self care wastes a LOT of time, so if your playing stacked or at a high level with other survivors you can trust to not be air-heads, its probably not ideal to run it anymore. It isn't worthless, unlike Otz I wouldn't be mad seeing someone running it, but it is very solidly off-meta because there are much better ways to recover health. Healing with self care 4 times without a medkit requires 32 seconds, so if you do it twice you just wasted an entire minute of the game.
If you use charge addons, you can get 4 uses out of a medkit without self care or Botany. Are you really going to get hit 5 times in a game?
Probably not, but the speed at which the combo I mentioned allows one to heal themselves, and heal others can’t be understated.
Sometimes 1 quick self heal, and 1 or 2 quick heals of teammates can be exactly what turns the game around.
Sure. I mean I run self care. Again I am an old crusty and mistrust my teammates at all time because I am from a different age when 'If I suspect these people are potatoes I am just gunna do 2 gens and search for the hatch' was a meta way to play. We are talking 'pre-SWF' days.
Self Care is good if your REALLY in it for yourself. Most perks have some viable play state, especially outside of SWF. Its just if you want to be 'maximum sweaty' you wouldn't run it in a million bajillion years. But who wants to be max sweaty?
I’m not saying Self Care is terrible. I’m just pointing out that putting it in a build without a med kit is pretty foolish. Ideally it should be BK+SC+Med Kit. That way in the event of the med kit running out a self heal can still be done in a reasonable amount of time, instead of the same amount of time it takes to bicycle around the entire continent of Africa.
Its especially nice as with a yellow medkit you don't have to waste addons for charges.
Add in speed and you can heal 2 times a match in the blink of an eye and still be able to heal at the end of a match to take a hit for the last hooked person
I think needing a toolbox for sabo is very map dependant. On the larger maps if you manage to hide yourself or hide behind the hook until they are close enough you can either force a drop or get a save if they try to recover from it.
On smaller maps with similar hook amounts nothing short of a double stacks sabo speed toolbox and breakout will help you. Dead Dawg is a good example as 3 or 4 hooks can spawn within 8M of the main building.
Well that’s the other thing worth pointing out. If taking in just Saboteur without a toolbox, even if successfully sabotaging a hook the killer was intending to hook a survivor on, there is then nothing you can do about an alternative hook the killer will try to reach because of the cool down.
Like I said, Saboteur is purely for the aura reading to better predict which hook the killer is heading towards, and to kick in when a tool box runs out of charges mid Sabo. After that it’s purely for “in a pinch”. The perk isn’t meant to be used on its own straight out the gate.