Forced Penance is still booty... but here is an idea to make it a little better
Even with the extra 20 seconds of "brokenness" Forced Penance is underwhelming. It's meant to punish protection hits, but those don't really happen enough to justify using this perk, especially because after it procs once, every survivor is now aware of it.
I propose a secondary effect for Forced Penance, similar to Make Your Choice, where when a survivor is unhooked, and the killer is more than 32m away, the unhooked survivor is now broken for 40s.
Not OP, not too bad, has more perk synergy, promotes not camping, and also has counter play.
Comments
Honestly, Forced Penance is actually a decent perk. Protection hits are quite common if someone is hook-bombing with Borrowed Time (which happens like every match at least twice). I've had scenarios where I've applied Forced Penance to both the person unhooked and the guy who unhooked them. 80 seconds is actually quite a long time to be broken for.
It's still quite a niche perk compared to Sloppy Butcher, but I think it's in a good spot.
If a hook bombing survivor becomes broken, and you down them 5 seconds later (as you usually will), did you really get any value out of the perk? Brokenness aside, it's not like they would've been able to complete a heal in that time, as you're still chasing them, so at that point, why use the perk?
This perk is structurally flawed; not only are protection hits fairly infrequent, but even less frequent are protection hits that result in the killer gaining anything of value while using this perk. One other benefit of my proposal is that since unhooked survivors become broken (if the killer is more than 32m away), they can't be healed, encouraging the unhooker to take a protection hit for the unhookee if the killer returns, thus feeding the primary effect, as opposed to "herp-a-derp I sure hope these survivors play hyper-altruistically."
I mean, if survivors stay on gens, do you get value out of ruin? If survivors spot noed and take it down before you were able to hit, did you get value out of it? if survivors split gens efficiently(thus never being a 2 man on a gen) do you get value out of discordance? The broken status is to prevent them healing up, and a lot of skilled survivors heal up during the chase if they can. Its literally one of the only reasons why Self-Care is almost as common as DS is in high ranked games. Forced Penance is a good perk, that you dont happen to encounter games where it could be useful doesnt really impact that.
I rarely use DS myself because I never got any value out of it(I ran it last week for 50 games just to prove why I dont run it, only got to use it once on a tunneling camper). Does that mean DS needs get another benefit? I mean, just like you, I get into games where it doesnt seem to have any value at all.
You basically just said its quite common... as long as these conditions are met. Thats not common that’s very situational and once people know you have it, it will work less