I'm gonna say it; Undying is fine.
In my opinion, undying is completely fine. There is a 50/50 chance you cleanse undying first. Plus, the aura reading is not very strong. It gives no notification when you are shown, and the killer has to be actively looking for you.
Comments
I don't understand why so many killers use it. 95% of the time it gets taken out early along with ruin. Killers are wasting two perk slots just to try and get ruin to last, IMO.
Undying is completely fine. Ruin's the problem. If it wasn't, then Undying/NOED or Undying/Devour Hope would be the meta, and they aren't. So clearly it's not Undying that's the core issue, or it would be an issue whenever present.
Honestly imo they shouldn't have reworked ruin. It trained people to be good at the game
That's... not quite how it played out in reality. Hitting great skillchecks is borderline impossible unless you have an amazing frame rate and no stutter, or several thousand hours to dedicate to learning the nuanced timing of skillchecks when you cannot even see them coupled with reaction times you should only need in twitch shooters.
But even for those games where it doesn't do anything, I've had plenty of games where it 100% won the game for the killer, without a doubt. Totem builds are always risky but I guess someone would have to keep track of their games to see how useful the build actually is for something that takes up 2 perks.
Ruin+Undying is still an early game time waster if you're good at going from gen to gen or can get an early down and then go harass people on gens. Either survivors choose to dedicate the first minute or so of the game to searching for totems (Depending on the killer, I will always search for Ruin+Undying before I commit to a gen- I've found that to be most optimal in many of my games) or they pick and stick to a gen that they might get pulled away from before it finishes, and have all their work dissapear into the wind.
Eventually we'll reach a point where a lot of killers realize that while R+U is a great build, it's not for every killer. R+U is awesome for high mobility killers who can defend gens and totems but I wouldn't run it on somehow like Clown, for instance. You need to be very capable of convincing survivors to leave their gens while Ruin is up. Corrupt+Pop is still a better build for a lot of killers, IMO.
____
As for the main topic at hand, I agree that Undying is completely fine. I'm a 100% survivor main currently and I really don't think there is anything wrong with a perk that has a high chance of being destroyed within a minute into the game. Totem perks SHOULD be toxic- it's literally in the survivors hands to be able to take out your perk. Undying's usefulness would be incredibly nerfed if the aura reading part was taken out, too.
At this point, I think I'd actually be mad if Undying had anything changed about the aura reveal aspect. You can wait until the killer is in a chase to cleanse a totem and if he catches sight of your aura from Undying, it either causes him to break chase on a survivor (who may not have long before he goes down anyway) or he loses the totem. I really enjoy the moments in games where I pull a killer off a survivor he is chasing down because he is nervous about losing one of his totems.
In any case, Undying can and should be gone before it gets to a point in the match where the aura reveal greatly matters.
Spine Chill is still a really good perk to counteract Undying, too, imo. Commit to the cleanse if you can, or run away if SC shows the killer is 100% coming to clap you.
That's true, yeah. But I think they should've maybe nerfed it instead of reworking it. Maybe make great skill checks bigger, idk.
Making the skill check zone larger won't help much with 10-15 frames, especially on one of the indoor maps.