Object of Obsession rework

Object of obsession

  • While your aura is revealed or while the obsession is in a chase you may see the Killers aura. You may see the Killers aura for an additional 1/2/3 seconds after these conditions are no longer met.
  • Increases your odds of being the obsession

Makes the perk less of a SWF omnipotence perk while retaining the core themes of the perk (mutual reveals and "I want to be chased"). If the Obsession has this perk it is a massive advantage in a chase. However only 1 Survivor can get that full effect at a time, so the Killer is always able to simply switch targets to guarantee that this won't be an issue.

Comments

  • That´s a nice approach tbh. On the other hand, if I´m not mistaken, with your suggestion the Obsession would have 100% uptime while in chase? That would be miserable since it would remove any mindgame potential for the Killer unless some form of Undetectable was used.

  • @Slashstreetboy said:

    That´s a nice approach tbh. On the other hand, if I´m not mistaken, with your suggestion the Obsession would have 100% uptime while in chase? That would be miserable since it would remove any mindgame potential for the Killer unless some form of Undetectable was used.

    Yes it would have 100% in-chase uptime.

    This kind of benefit can only really exist as an Obsession only effect for this reason. Since all 4 Survivors being unmindgamable is obviously problematic.

    Just 1 however, maybe, but it's at least much less of an issue.

    Since even if all 4 Survivors bring this perk, you will still have at least 3 Survivors that can be chased like normal, and you know which 3 they are.

    Additionally, since it's in chase only it means a lot of Killers can still preform mindgames to catch the OoO user off guard before the chase begins.

    It's not a perfect solution, but part of the perks niche is for those who are trying to be found and chased, and mid-chase tracking fits that niche.

  • No from me. Here's why:

    1. You wouldn't want to be the obsession under your proposed changes, yet have an increased chance of being so.
    2. How does it make you the Object of Obsession, if it no longer reveals your aura to the killer/they have no indication the perk is in use?
  • Actually, I think it should be the other way around, using the Perk reveals the respective Auras to the Survivor and Killer for as long as the Survivor keeps the button/bumper/trigger depressed. However, when they end it, the Survivor's Aura remains visible for an additional (3) seconds for the Killer.

  • @GoshJosh said:

    No from me. Here's why:

    1. You wouldn't want to be the obsession under your proposed changes, yet have an increased chance of being so.
    2. How does it make you the Object of Obsession, if it no longer reveals your aura to the killer/they have no indication the perk is in use?

    You (or at least most Survivors) would absolutely want to be the Obsession with this perk.

    If you aren't the Obsession then the benefit is knowing where someone in a chase is, which is just nice I guess.

    But if you are the Obsession, then suddenly you are immune to a lot of mindgames the Killer is likely to throw at you, which is super useful in a chase.

    As for point 2, it's less about actively singling you out, as it is giving you payoff for being singled out for other reasons.

  • @Moundshroud said:

    Actually, I think it should be the other way around, using the Perk reveals the respective Auras to the Survivor and Killer for as long as the Survivor keeps the button/bumper/trigger depressed. However, when they end it, the Survivor's Aura remains visible for an additional (3) seconds for the Killer.

    That has the exact same problems as the current OoO

  • @NuclearBurrito said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1667856#Comment_1667856

    You (or at least most Survivors) would absolutely want to be the Obsession with this perk.

    If you aren't the Obsession then the benefit is knowing where someone in a chase is, which is just nice I guess.

    But if you are the Obsession, then suddenly you are immune to a lot of mindgames the Killer is likely to throw at you, which is super useful in a chase.

    As for point 2, it's less about actively singling you out, as it is giving you payoff for being singled out for other reasons.

    "But if you are the Obsession, then suddenly you are immune to a lot of mindgames the Killer is likely to throw at you, which is super useful in a chase."

    Explain how so, based on your proposed rework? All you've said is that you see the killer's aura when your aura would be revealed, or the obsession is being chased. Nothing about the killer seeing anyone or nothing.

  • Not really. If you have to push a button to turn it on, you as the Survivor control it, and turning it off means the Killer has YOUR aura for 3 additional seconds. That is the price you pay. The problem with OoO isn't really built into the Perk. It is SWF. Let's be honest here, if it weren't for SWF abusing this Perk, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Trying to fix this issue by playing with the Perk rather than addressing the SWF 5th Perk (Comms) will never really fix anything.

  • @GoshJosh said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1667885#Comment_1667885

    "But if you are the Obsession, then suddenly you are immune to a lot of mindgames the Killer is likely to throw at you, which is super useful in a chase."

    Explain how so, based on your proposed rework? All you've said is that you see the killer's aura when your aura would be revealed, or the obsession is being chased. Nothing about the killer seeing anyone or nothing.

    If you are the obsession and you are being chased, then the Obsession is being chased and thus you get to see the Killers aura.

    Being able to see the Killers aura is super useful mid-chase since you know exactly how they are attempting to route while LoS is broken.

  • @NuclearBurrito said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1667890#Comment_1667890

    If you are the obsession and you are being chased, then the Obsession is being chased and thus you get to see the Killers aura.

    Being able to see the Killers aura is super useful mid-chase since you know exactly how they are attempting to route while LoS is broken.

    Ah, I see, that makes sense. Sorry. However, the killer gets nothing in return for this? And therefore won't have any indicator the perk is in use?

  • @Moundshroud said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1667889#Comment_1667889

    Not really. If you have to push a button to turn it on, you as the Survivor control it, and turning it off means the Killer has YOUR aura for 3 additional seconds. That is the price you pay. The problem with OoO isn't really built into the Perk. It is SWF. Let's be honest here, if it weren't for SWF abusing this Perk, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Trying to fix this issue by playing with the Perk rather than addressing the SWF 5th Perk (Comms) will never really fix anything.

    Being able to control it as Survivor IS the problem.

    If anything what you are suggesting would make it even worse, since they could use it cross map and it would be easier to use it with distortion since you wouldn't get any accidental procs.

    The 3 second additional reveal doesn't make up for the increased control.

  • @NuclearBurrito said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1667894#Comment_1667894

    Being able to control it as Survivor IS the problem.

    If anything what you are suggesting would make it even worse, since they could use it cross map and it would be easier to use it with distortion since you wouldn't get any accidental procs.

    The 3 second additional reveal doesn't make up for the increased control.

    You have to understand that when I look at a Perk I'm not trying to balance it for SWF. I think that is pointless. I try to balance it as it was intended, for Solo. The only way to fix it for SWF would be to remove the Perk entirely. Or, massively gut the range at which it works, i.e. 8 Meters at Tier-1, 16 Meters at Tier-2, and 32 Meters at Tier-3, and still give the Killer +3 seconds of seeing the Survivor's Aura after they look away. :) I'm not trying to be snarky.

    I'm just pragmatic and honest. It is impossible to "fix" this Perk if you are really trying to deal with SWF which isn't even official, and not used by everyone. I agree it is a problem, but I just don't think you can fix SWF by playing with the existing Perks.

  • @GoshJosh said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1667895#Comment_1667895

    Ah, I see, that makes sense. Sorry. However, the killer gets nothing in return for this? And therefore won't have any indicator the perk is in use?

    That is correct. Since the perk only gives the full payoff to the Obsession, having it be telegraphed would make countering it a bit too trivial (just ignore them and go after the 3 other Survivors unless it's a free hit as if you were running STBFL).

    You can still do that without a telegraph, but this way you have to realize they have the perk rather than being given that info for free.

    Unlike with other of the more powerful Survivor perks, this perk doesn't stack with itself well (only 1 Survivor can fully utilize it at a time), it doesn't work particularly well with SWF (the strongest effect is exclusively useful in the 1v1 which is the same regardless of coms) and it isn't a second chance perk, just an information perk. I mean there's nothing JUST about an information perk of course, but what I mean is that it's not letting you take a bunch of extra hits like say: DS or DH is.

    Thus I think it's fine.

  • @Moundshroud said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1667901#Comment_1667901

    You have to understand that when I look at a Perk I'm not trying to balance it for SWF. I think that is pointless. I try to balance it as it was intended, for Solo. The only way to fix it for SWF would be to remove the Perk entirely. Or, massively gut the range at which it works, i.e. 8 Meters at Tier-1, 16 Meters at Tier-2, and 32 Meters at Tier-3, and still give the Killer +3 seconds of seeing the Survivor's Aura after they look away. :) I'm not trying to be snarky.

    I'm just pragmatic and honest. It is impossible to "fix" this Perk if you are really trying to deal with SWF which isn't even official, and not used by everyone. I agree it is a problem, but I just don't think you can fix SWF by playing with the existing Perks.

    Fix? Maybe not. Improve? Absolutely.

    Some effects are disproportionately strong in SWF, but some effects are NOT.

    Most tracking perks aren't a problem with SWF, like Alert or Spine Chill. And chase perks like Sprint Burst or Dead Hard are just as useful in Solo as in SWF.

    It's the perks that require or enable teamplay that get the most benefit from SWF. Which is why something like BT, Prove thyself and OoO are all disproportionately strong on a SWF group.

  • @NuclearBurrito said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1667906#Comment_1667906

    Fix? Maybe not. Improve? Absolutely.

    Some effects are disproportionately strong in SWF, but some effects are NOT.

    Most tracking perks aren't a problem with SWF, like Alert or Spine Chill. And chase perks like Sprint Burst or Dead Hard are just as useful in Solo as in SWF.

    It's the perks that require or enable teamplay that get the most benefit from SWF. Which is why something like BT, Prove thyself and OoO are all disproportionately strong on a SWF group.

    True but to balance it for SWF makes it pointless and useless for Solo? Do you see my point? I don't disagree with your intention, I am just stating that the unintended consequence here is always going to HURT the Solo to try and reign in the SWF. It seems a lose/lose situation. I'd rather SWF just get put into their own Que where additional objectives and a 5th Perk be opened up for the Killer to balance them without strangling everyone else.

    All that being said, I don't see a way to improve this where it doesn't hurt the Solo and fix the problem. Thus the Perk probably just needs to go away and be replaced entirely.

  • @Moundshroud said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1667913#Comment_1667913

    True but to balance it for SWF makes it pointless and useless for Solo? Do you see my point? I don't disagree with your intention, I am just stating that the unintended consequence here is always going to HURT the Solo to try and reign in the SWF. It seems a lose/lose situation. I'd rather SWF just get put into their own Que where additional objectives and a 5th Perk be opened up for the Killer to balance them without strangling everyone else.

    All that being said, I don't see a way to improve this where it doesn't hurt the Solo and fix the problem. Thus the Perk probably just needs to go away and be replaced entirely.

    Only if you don't do it right.

    SWF synergises with some effects more than others, but Solo's CAN make full use of things that SWF don't necessarily synergise with.

    Take Kindred for example. Has almost no synergy with SWF, but is super good on Solo Survivors.

    Or as I mentioned earlier, Sprint Burst. Equally good on everyone.

    This is like that. It's good on Solo's and not that much more useful for SWF, at least when compared to current OoO.