Dying on first hook is never optimal

If the Killer isn’t committing to chasing you, that’s a problem. Wether its from Sprint Burst, immersion, or just leaving gens super early, you’re hurting your team.

Because if you’re not taking hook states, your other teammates are and the Killer can easily win by killing the final Survivor or even final Survivors on first hook.

It’s important to recognize that you have to take chases every game as Survivor to increase your team’s chances of winning. Even if it means purposely letting the Killer get a hit to be more appealing

Comments

  • Personally I think gens are higher priority then taking aggro. A lot of higher end killers won't even chase everyone because it wastes too much time trying to hook everybody. It's more efficient on their end to focus one or two down and if you're trying to take aggro from them and it's not working then you end up wasting more time instead.

    Ideally, yes you should spread out hook states and if everyone has been two hooked and you're on first hook then it'd probably be the play to try and take aggro but I don't think it should be priority. If you're also the only one doing gens then I think that's higher importance, especially if there is only one left.

    It's actually pretty situational really.

  • Try telling that to the self-care blendettes...

  • Against average killers who don't understand what you are trying to do this may work but if an experienced killer wants someone dead and you haven't been hooked it will be very hard to get them on you.

  • Thats the problem with solo queue, killers know that if they just tunnel out 1 survivor off rip then the game is pretty much gg.

    Team mates need to learn how to recognize when someone is being tunneled and is on death hook.

    Rushing gens doesnt do anything if the first survivor gets tunneled out and there is still 2 or 3 gens left its gg.

    Even with 2 gens left its super easy to patrol the remaining gens cause typically survivors will do gens closest to the outside instead of doing gens closer to the middle, so those gens you rushed while the killer was tunneling just made it so that the remaining gens are closer and easier to patrol for the killer late game.

    So now its a 3v1 with the gens closer together and with only 3 survivors left the chance for a snowball is twice as likely.

    Some times you taking a hit will allow your team mate to make it to the next pallet or window and now the game might last another 30 plus seconds ect

    If you unhook someone from struggle state and the killer is coming try and take a hit, try to take aggro. If the killer misses you and downs your team mate take a hit or a down while hes being carried to the hook, you never know another team mate might see this and come try and take a hit to. (Edit : if im on first hook sometimes i will take 2 hits while hes being carriedd)

    A gen isnt worth a hook state unless its the last gen. Dont let your team mate hit struggle state so you can finish a gen. A team mate losing an entire hook state shortens the length of the game significantly, and will almost certainly make the late game significantly harder.

    Its a team game, i know you start the queue as a solo survivor but you do have to help your team mates or you will lose the majority of the time.

    Just cause you escaped the trial that doesnt mean you won.

    A real win is when you pull off amazing saves and work together as a team to make sure everybody gets out or at least you do everything possible to try and get everybody out, not hiding in the corner with your spine chill and urban evasion doing gens in silence while your team mates get slaughted 1 by 1 and you grab hatch.

  • I focus on gens unless the killer comes my way and I'll gladly take them , but it's not my fault if someone can't stay up in a chase long enough for a gen to get completed I shouldn't have to take aggro because someone else sucks at the game

  • @The_Krapper said:

    I focus on gens unless the killer comes my way and I'll gladly take them , but it's not my fault if someone can't stay up in a chase long enough for a gen to get completed I shouldn't have to take aggro because someone else sucks at the game

    Small brain

  • @The_Krapper said:

    I focus on gens unless the killer comes my way and I'll gladly take them , but it's not my fault if someone can't stay up in a chase long enough for a gen to get completed I shouldn't have to take aggro because someone else sucks at the game

    The ironic part is that you should have to take agro because someone else sucks at the game... keeping more people alive to hold M1 while you're looping is pretty useful

  • Small brains can't stay up for a generator in this game with all the damn safety offered

  • @gatsby said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637793#Comment_1637793

    The ironic part is that you should have to take agro because someone else sucks at the game... keeping more people alive to hold M1 while you're looping is pretty useful

    Like I said I focus the gen, but I will go for unhooks and such but I'm not gonna stop gen progress to try and help someone who's already going down fast anyway , the big brain play is to rush gens and not have two survivors chasing the killer who's chasing another survivor just to get him off someone who can't stay up

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637867#Comment_1637867

    Like I said I focus the gen, but I will go for unhooks and such but I'm not gonna stop gen progress to try and help someone who's already going down fast anyway , the big brain play is to rush gens and not have two survivors chasing the killer who's chasing another survivor just to get him off someone who can't stay up

    Or you could do the big brain play and take aggro since obv the guy going down in 15 seconds into a chase would be better to the team doing gens than just dieing early on in the game.

    Its not about just rushing gens, if your confident in your looping ability then go take aggro.

    It literally helps no one if you just rush gens and let a team mate get tunneled out early on.

  • @BillyMain77 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637884#Comment_1637884

    Or you could do the big brain play and take aggro since obv the guy going down in 15 seconds into a chase would be better to the team doing gens that just dieing early on in the game.

    Its about just rushing gen if your confident in your looping ability then go take aggro.

    It literally helps no one if you just rush gens and let a team mate get tunneled out early on.

    It helps no one if I'm chasing the killer who's tunneling a survivor who can't stay up and especially if another survivor thought the same way then that would be 3 survivors not doing ######### because one guy sucks on the team

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637891#Comment_1637891

    It helps no one if I'm chasing the killer who's tunneling a survivor who can't stay up and especially if another survivor thought the same way then that would be 3 survivors not doing ######### because one guy sucks on the team

    Your right but not all killers are just gonna ignore you. Some killers will change targets or at least spread the dmg and maybe you taking that one hit and body blocking for a few seconds lets the survivor being tunneled break LOS and make it away and now the killer is forced to changed targets or spend time looking for ole buddy again.

    You have to take aggro at some point. Just rushing gens and only taking aggro when the killer comes towards you is a pretty selfish way to play.

    This is a TEAM based game where you work TOGETHER with other survivors to make it out.

    Getting a unhook once or twice a game and doing a gen or 2 by yourself doesnt count as team work.

    Small brain plays. This is the different between red ranks and green ranks.

    Survivors who know how to recognize when to help out their team and when to sit on gens like real gods.

  • @BillyMain77 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637892#Comment_1637892

    Your right but not all killers are just gonna ignore you. Some killers will change targets or at least spread the dmg and maybe you taking that one hit and body blocking for a few seconds lets the survivor being tunneled break LOS and make it away and now the killer is forced to changed targets or spend time looking for ole buddy again.

    You have to take aggro at some point. Just rushing gens and only taking aggro when the killer comes towards you is a pretty selfish way to play.

    This is a TEAM based game where you work TOGETHER with other survivors to make it out.

    Getting a unhook once or twice a game and doing a gen or 2 by yourself doesnt count as team work.

    Small brain plays. This is the different between red ranks and green ranks.

    Survivors who know how to recognize when to help out their team and when to sit on gens like real gods.

    Dude Ive got 9000 hours in the game I'm not saying you're totally wrong because when I run a flashlight and I have a true way to stop them from focusing on them I will but when a killer tunnels and you have no way to save that survivor other than to take a hit it's way better to stay on gens so you don't have a slugfest because the difference between a red rank and a green rank killer is the green rank killer falls for the bait the red rank smacks you continues to tunnel the other guy and then starts slugging the injured survivors swarming around the bot who can't stay alive

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637899#Comment_1637899

    Dude Ive got 9000 hours in the game I'm not saying you're totally wrong because when I run a flashlight and I have a true way to stop them from focusing on them I will but when a killer tunnels and you have no way to save that survivor other than to take a hit it's way better to stay on gens so you don't have a slugfest because the difference between a red rank and a green rank killer is the green rank killer falls for the bait the red rank smacks you continues to tunnel the other guy and then starts slugging the injured survivors swarming around the bot who can't stay alive

    For 9k hrs in the game i would expected a different type of play style.

    You play your way but watching someone get tunneled to death why you just sit on a gen is boring af and selfish.

  • @BillyMain77 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637909#Comment_1637909

    For 9k hrs in the game i would expected a different type of play style.

    You play your way but watching someone get tunneled to death why you just sit on a gen is boring af and selfish.

    Well if I don't have a true way to save them that's what I do, they don't belong in red ranks anyway if they can't stay up for at least a gen, if someone can stay up for a gen or two sure I'll take all the aggro I can when objectives are getting done but if gens aren't getting done everyone dies from being over alturism, if I'm in a swf I'll take aggro as well but I'm not dying for a random who goes down in ten seconds anyway because that person is just a liability more than anything

  • I would try and take agro if I didn’t suck at chase and have like a brain cell. Mind games, jukes, and looping are things I can’t do. I could die a thousand times trying to practice those skills and only buy my teammates a few seconds each time or I could do gens and save while someone else is chased so that we can escape sooner. It may be a team game but each member has different skills and play styles, I might one day be able to last longer in a chase but for now I can’t. You can call me whatever you want or criticize me on everything, it just how it is.

  • im not being funny but some people just dont do alot in trials, some games ill get 3 teammates that will never do a gen or a chase yet will be red rank against a rank 1. if rank was based on skill or at least on objectives and chases the games would go better, but when you have people that hide all game and get objective points from totems, only go for unhooks due to easy iri benevolent emblems its not surprise they rank up and create games where people arent efficient or even high tier smart, they havent learned that yet and thats at fault of the game. 2safe unhooks, 2 heals = iri, survive so long silver, run forwards in every chase with no knowledge of loops etc. 3 times = silver, getting some totems = bronze, touch a gen for abit = silver. Congrats you can now stay in red ranks by not doing any good chases and hardly touching the only objective. (BTW 4 golds is a pip)