Why do I keep seeing all this hype about Soul Guard?

I mean within the past week, I've seen people say Soul Guard is a hard counter to Hex Totems (which I still don't understand). I've seen people say Soul Guard is the strongest perk survivors have gotten in the past year. I've seen so many people putting this perk on a pedestal and I don't get it.

Soul Guard is literally only usable if the killer allows you to use it. Literally the counter to Soul Guard is, pick up the freakin survivor. That's it.

In order to get use out of this perk, I would have to:

  1. bring Unbreakable + Soul Guard to use it on my own.
  2. Be in a SWF, be slugged long enough to recover my bar and then communicate to a teammate to come pick me up while the killer is coming back and take a hit within 4-8 seconds. (because no random is going to pick you up if the killer is right there)
  3. If there's a Hex totem still up at the time, you can pick yourself up. Those are usually gone by late game though and if someone is slugging in the early game...... idk. They're probably a jerk or something XD


In my time playing as killer since the release of Nancy, I've never once encountered this perk. Even WHEN I had to slug (which I don't do often).

In my time playing Nancy herself, I got more use out of her other 2 perks than Soul Guard. Literally, I've stopped gens from being Popped using Repressed Alliance so many time and I forget what her other perk is called but it gives me constant location of the obsession during the match which really helps in terms of info. Soul Guard is her weakest perk.

Why do people consider this perk high tier?

Comments

  • Because slugging is a forced part of gameplay and if the killer isn't snowballing then they ain't winning so you didn't need any perks in the first place.

  • I ran this perk a few times on it's release of the SH chapter and I got use out of it once, and that was just because the killer left me during EGC because he thought I had DS while his NOED was up. Beyond that, most killers will just pick you up instantly and it makes the perk a wasted slot. It does have it's uses, especially if the killer waits for you to be revived and smacks you, but the free Unbreakable relies heavily on a Hex and the killer leaving you alone for long enough.

  • @MadLordJack said:

    Because slugging is a forced part of gameplay and if the killer isn't snowballing then they ain't winning so you didn't need any perks in the first place.

    That's a matter of opinion.

    I've gotten every killer adept (which isn't something you stumble into by luck)

    I've reached rank 1 as killer (before I stopped playing for months and deranked)

    And I've done these things with little to no slugging in most matches. At most, I'll slug if I down someone and there's literally another survivor RIGHT THERE.

  • @RakimSockem said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1555797#Comment_1555797

    That's a matter of opinion.

    I've gotten every killer adept (which isn't something you stumble into by luck)

    I've reached rank 1 as killer (before I stopped playing for months and deranked)

    And I've done these things with little to no slugging in most matches. At most, I'll slug if I down someone and there's literally another survivor RIGHT THERE.

    It's not opinion, it's maths. 12 hooks are significantly slower than 5 gens. Assuming a very generous 1-down-per-minute, that's 12 minutes Vs 4.

  • @RakimSockem said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1555797#Comment_1555797

    That's a matter of opinion.

    I've gotten every killer adept (which isn't something you stumble into by luck)

    I've reached rank 1 as killer (before I stopped playing for months and deranked)

    And I've done these things with little to no slugging in most matches. At most, I'll slug if I down someone and there's literally another survivor RIGHT THERE.

    Its kinda dependant on what killer you play, what mal you get and how good the survivors are.

  • @Zeus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1555806#Comment_1555806

    Its kinda dependant on what killer you play, what mal you get and how good the survivors are.

    @4scoreand7skinsago said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1555806#Comment_1555806

    Slugging is a balancing act you can very easily alug too much or too little and varies heavily based on the killer and play style, killers like oni are basically forced to slug to get the maximum use out of your power while perks like pop encourage you too hook more often as well if survivors are grouping up often or staying split up most of the game.

    Oh I understand all of that. But I still choose not to slug unless I have to and I do just fine for myself. Slugging is a choice, not a requirement.

    If slugging was required, I would have never gotten my adepts or reached rank 1

  • slugging is the one of strongest strategies killers have. It's high risk high reward, when one survivor gets picked up, getting dead hard-ed might cost you the match, imagine what happens when they have soul guard.

    tl;dr, it destroys and already fragile strategy such as slugging.

  • @YaiPa said:

    slugging is the one of strongest strategies killers have. It's high risk high reward, when one survivor gets picked up, getting dead hard-ed might cost you the match, imagine what happens when they have soul guard.

    tl;dr, it destroys and already fragile strategy such as slugging.

    If anyone needs a tl;dr for that, they're just being lazy XD

    And I totally understand how strong slugging is because I do main survivor and I know how annoying it is to play against. I still think the perk itself is pretty weak as a survivor and I've never encountered it as a killer because of my playstyle which involves minimal slugging

  • @RakimSockem said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1555812#Comment_1555812

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1555822#Comment_1555822

    Oh I understand all of that. But I still choose not to slug unless I have to and I do just fine for myself. Slugging is a choice, not a requirement.

    If slugging was required, I would have never gotten my adepts or reached rank 1

    Slugging isn't needed every game but you do need it and the more killer realise that the more help the survivors need to counter it