Dwighththt's Matchmaking

So I've decided to start journaling matchmaking changes after its release on PC today.

Region: us-west-2 ;)

Day 2020-08-03 Matchmaking is funny

Survivor:

Great match with Ding-Ding

image.png


Rank 14 hag trying to finish a challenge

image.png

Killer

Awesome SWF!

image.png


That was fast!

image.png


I am going to resume my gameplay this evening, for this week I am going to play only Bubba.

I know this topic is public and I don't want to prevent you from commenting, but please do me a favour and don't leave short messages. Your Killer/Surv stats posts are much appreciated.

Comments

  • Survivor

    Okay, so in this case it worked well:

    image.png


    And then it got a bit funny... Wraith played played well this match

    image.png


    And the next one... was not the best experience for Demo, who just bought this game, as he said in the chat

    image.png


  • Okay so the trend is -- I am getting matched with rank 20 killers... I don't think rank does not mean anything in this case.

    Survivor:

    image.png image.png image.png


  • Look at those pretty rainbows.

  • God, this is awful

  • This content has been removed.
  • @JesusOnWheels said:

    I'm sorry, who cares?

    People interested in the new MMR and how its been for other players.

  • Good God, I know that MMR takes time to do its work, but Jesus Christ almighty, how many new players are buying the game right now?!

    More importantly, where are all these players for ME to go against whenever I want to play Killer?!

  • If the rank system is no longer used, then remove the depipping associated with the old ranking system. I would feel happier then seeing my rank get higher based on the time I actually play.

  • Killer:

    First match of the game and the survivors strat was spread around the map and do gens, do gens do gens. My strat was to camp camp camp and hook. Worked for me. Glorious win! But... yeah, back to game. No sweat. They were like avg old rank 14, I remember myself

    image.png


    Second game -- unlucky, I was matched with at least one cheater, when I got that Kate and wasn't able to hook her (by staying in front of the hook and smashing space). They usually do this by increasing network latency to 4000ms, but I did not check this time

    But... huge diff in ranks compared with last game 

    image.png

    Next game wasn't supper sweaty, just a regular one, but with higher ranks

    image.png


    And the gift from the Entity! Thank you, I was about to stop playing!

    image.png

    Well, I would say I like new matchmaking experience as a killer more. Before that, I've been matched with red ranks almost all the time, now it is like 50/50

  • Mine is starting to stabilize a bit now. Getting killers and survivors closer to my rank.

  • Killer:

    This is probably what I want to see from fair matchmaking:

    We have yellow rank, 2 purples and one red. The match was fun for both sides, everyone got their hook!

    image.png


    Survivor:

    Someone played Bubba, but that wasn't me! 2 "rank 19"s DCed. I don't know why.

    image.png


    The Pig went wild with mori

    image.png


    Matchmaking thinks any Billy is OP

    image.png


    Those 2 "Rank19"s actually played well

    image.png


  • Its all over the place..!

  • Killer:

    I've decided to be nice to the last survivor, just once

    image.png


    Survivor

    I can't complain about Killer rank, but those two yellow ranks probably could

    image.png


    So this is how fair matchmaking should look like. Don't think I am hiding fair results.

    image.png


    Another one -- Okayish

    image.png


    OMG It improves!

    image.png


    ... Just kidding

    image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png


  • @DarKaron said:

    Good God, I know that MMR takes time to do its work, but Jesus Christ almighty, how many new players are buying the game right now?!

    More importantly, where are all these players for ME to go against whenever I want to play Killer?!

    I do. Pretty much just bought the game. Can i play it? Not really


  • 2020-08-04

    @PatBrutal said:

    We've selected a few questions from the community about the new matchmaking system and had them answered by the team.

    • I know you’re looking at skill across different killers but are you looking at skill across different survivors too? even though survivors are just skins, we still have to grind for open perk slots which, for a less experienced survivor like myself, that’s a big deal 

    Generally speaking, the performance difference between a low level survivor (as in, the character level is low) and a high level survivor for a given player isn’t statistically extreme. It also changes very quickly, relatively speaking: It doesn’t take that many games for a low level survivor to get to a reasonable level. To complicate it further, it can even happen over “0” games, if you got the BP from some other means! All that said, we’re going to keep an eye on this and see if it plays out differently in reality, and potentially modify the system to take this into account. 

     

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/150WZBYV10VT/patchnotesdividersmolwhite.png

    • Can we get a little insight into how SWF matchups will be balanced in the new system? 

    Currently, SWF groups will calculate an average rating of the players in the group, and then the matchmaking system will attempt to find an opponent based off that average. We will be monitoring this and the results it gives in the real world, and may tweak the formula to produce better results if we identify any problems. 

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/07DXKY7XE8V0/patchnotesdividersmolwhite.png

    • How is it gonna be fair to those that are new as a survivor? I feel bad for them 

    We’re specifically monitoring the experience of new players to ensure the system doesn’t immediately throw them games where they are hopelessly outmatched, and we have a few techniques that we’re implementing already to help with this. Lots of technical / mathematic details, but the basic effect will be that new players tend to get matched at a lower skill rating while they’re still new. 

     

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/TGFAZUA81XL9/patchnotesdividersmolwhite.png

    • So after reading this post why aren't the current ranks not weighted in the starting skill rating for the player base?  

    We’ve already been running the skill rating calculation in the background for several months, in order to collect data and to validate some elements of our approach. Anyone who has been playing regularly in that time will already have a loosely calibrated skill rating to start with, which will be refined with each game they play now that the system is live. 

     

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/FNM6B04UNAD6/patchnotesdividersmolwhite.png

    • Is it taken into consideration if players have returned from the game after a long hiatus. Some examples are some people returning after a year or even two. 

     

    Without getting into extreme mathimatical details: Yes, the system does take how long it has been since you last played into account with the rating system. 

     

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/OQ1TAUEV9UFQ/patchnotesdividersmolwhite.png

    • Why are ranks so mismatched now? 

    The Matchmaking News post we made went into detail about this, but to summarize: Ranks are mostly a measure of how much you play in a given month, and doesn’t have a very good correlation with game skill. Skill rating is completely driven by how skilled you are at the game, so there will be some divergence between the two. The rank system will be getting updated Soon(tm) to reflect this difference. 

     

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/20LI55NFCJ4C/patchnotesdividersmolwhite.png

    • Why are we keeping the skill rating hidden? 

    For every player who gets really excited at the prospect of seeing their skill rating, there is another player who dreads it. For now, to encourage everyone to play the game the best they can, we are keeping the skill rating hidden. We have plans to expose it somewhat in the future, but nothing to announce at this time. 

     

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/01VR4OI1EPR4/patchnotesdividersmolwhite.png

    • What will it mean to Ranks in the Tally Screen? 

    Right now, the Emblem system / Rank system is being left as-is. We wanted to get the skill rating system out and in player’s hands as quickly as possible. The rank system will be getting updated Soon(tm). 

     

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/A1KXBT9T9HR6/patchnotesdividersmolwhite.png

    • Is the rating started counting now, or already set from past performance?  

    Ratings are initially based on your performance over the last few months, while the system has been collecting data in the background. 

     

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/5HFZKHX7LQ75/patchnotesdividersmolwhite.png

    • What are the factors that affect the ratings?  

    Ratings change based on how you perform in a match while taking your opponents rating into account. If you outplay an opponent who has a much higher rating than yours, then your rating will be adjusted quite a bit. If you outplay an opponent who had a lower rating than yours, then the adjustment is quite small. 

     

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/V7FFIZ2GXWC6/patchnotesdividersmolwhite.png

    Other

    • Does this mean that those with different NAT types that weren't able to play together before (unless they had a connection with the lobby leader) can now play together? 

    The skill rating has not direct relation to NAT and network connectivity, as it is used to determine who matches together. As long as your NAT type allows you to connect to the dedicated server, you should be fine to play with anyone else (who can also connect to the dedicated server, of course). Since we are now using servers instead of P2P, NAT incompatibilities are less of an issue. 


    At least they are aware that something is slightly not working well. 

    From my matches today, as a Killer and same old Bubba I've got s streak of #OldRedRankDoesNotMatter sweaty survivors and a few normal matches at the end.

    Honestly, with old matchmaking I know I am gonna go against red ranks, so I am gonna bring my best perks and addons.  

    Now it is unpredictable and I don't want to use Iris-addons for rank 14 survivors. 

    Well, I am a little bit confused, but trying to be optimistic. Good thing, I am not being matched to new players that often.


    Killer

    image.png image.png image.png

    I would consider this result as OK... well there was a group suicide, but anyways

    image.png image.png

    This is the seconds result I consider Okay:

    image.png


  • Looking at the results (since ranks are obsolete) it seems you have a fair balance between wins, losses and close calls.

    Are you able to give more detailed info on how it was during those matches? Besides the cheater where you dc'd, did you throw any matches? Did you notice any consistent ways of playing in terms of experience?

    There may be a lot of new guys, but there could also be a lot of experienced players creating new profiles to gain an edge. That is perhaps the only thing the ranking system has any use for now.

  • @Vox_Nocturne said:

    Looking at the results (since ranks are obsolete) it seems you have a fair balance between wins, losses and close calls.

    Are you able to give more detailed info on how it was during those matches? Besides the cheater where you dc'd, did you throw any matches? Did you notice any consistent ways of playing in terms of experience?

    There may be a lot of new guys, but there could also be a lot of experienced players creating new profiles to gain an edge. That is perhaps the only thing the ranking system has any use for now.

    > Looking at the results (since ranks are obsolete) it seems you have a fair balance between wins, losses and close calls.


    Even if ranks are are "obsolete", it does not mean they are meaningless. Survivor needs to do stuff to get pip, not only doing gens, but also win 

    chases, rescue other players and so on. When I see red rank, I expect at least more than 600 hours of playing the game. Ranks are still saying how experienced the player is. 

    So when I am being matches with red ranks -- there is, usually, no fair balance. I lose. Or I have to tunnel and lose. Overall, yes it is like 50/50 (miked ranks / red ranks), but today I've got a streak of red ranks in matchmaking. Yesterday -- a lot of new players. 


    > Are you able to give more detailed info on how it was during those matches? Besides the cheater where you dc'd, did you throw any matches? Did you notice any consistent ways of playing in terms of experience? 


    Yesterday I was able to do some fun stuff with perks and strategy, like using Tinkerer with its full power. Do some mind games. 

    Today's experience is more like playing vs like experienced players, some of them just troll you, knows perfect vault timing and can chase you over entire map. This is something close I had with "OldMatchmaking". Oh yes, those players are usually "obsolete: Red Ranks. Not super cool. If I switch killer, I'd probably get some more relaxed games, but I am planning to stick with Bubba to see to where it brings me. 

    No, I usually do not throw any matches except someone is hacking or when I did not notice "Object" on Midwich. 


    > There may be a lot of new guys, but there could also be a lot of experienced players creating new profiles to gain an edge.

    > That is perhaps the only thing the ranking system has any use for now.


    Yeah, I've a separate account to practice and learn some techniques in "Kill your friends" mode, so I can practice and learn some things without bothering my friends. And of course, I wanted to see how easy it would be to go against rank 20 killers/survs. I ranked up to my "real" rank (8 - 7) quite fast (like in 4 days) on a new account. 

    If people want to spend their money and buy the game -- I am okay with that. They cannot transfer BP or cosmetic in to their main account anyways. 

    There is no any big reason to do so. 

  • Matchmaking times are considerably longer. And yes, now I see a person who just created an account. That YUI was rank 15 with 200 hours of playtime. And she knew where every window and and pallet was. I had to run around the map several times to catch her.

    image.png


  • @DarKaron said:

    Good God, I know that MMR takes time to do its work, but Jesus Christ almighty, how many new players are buying the game right now?!

    More importantly, where are all these players for ME to go against whenever I want to play Killer?!

    To be fair, the game did just go on sale on Steam - I'm new, first time killer, and having some *great* matches with this amazing, super competent system.

    Fortunately, I'm not the type who actually complains. I just find it funny. The best way to learn a game like this is to play against people who can run circles around you... and try to do a little better each time.

    Last game, I actually sacrificed one!

    LOL.png


  • Survivor games feel pretty consistent, killer seems pretty random but I haven't played 10 games with any specific one yet

    PS_Messages_20200805_022346.jpg PS_Messages_20200805_022404.jpg


  • Okay, no more screenshots for now, they are basically the same.

    With Bubba, I've been playing for past 2 days. In the was enjoying matches yesterday, but today the majority matches I've got was sweaty SWF or solo survs.

    After series of matches playing constantly Bubba I was de-piping and losing the games. This experiment is over.

    I have tried another one: Let's switch killer to Plague.

    And... first game was easy. Next 5 games I've been matched with mixed ranks and get my 3k and 4k.

    My conclusion is: if you want to enjoy this game -- switch killer more often. That's it.

    Spread that MMR across multiple killers.

    This is something I've seen in Otz stream today, when he'd been often matched with yellow ranks. This is because he switched killer often.

    So this is a good time to learn new killers.

  • @Dwigtht said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1510943#Comment_1510943

    > Looking at the results (since ranks are obsolete) it seems you have a fair balance between wins, losses and close calls.

    Even if ranks are are "obsolete", it does not mean they are meaningless. Survivor needs to do stuff to get pip, not only doing gens, but also win 

    chases, rescue other players and so on. When I see red rank, I expect at least more than 600 hours of playing the game. Ranks are still saying how experienced the player is. 

    So when I am being matches with red ranks -- there is, usually, no fair balance. I lose. Or I have to tunnel and lose. Overall, yes it is like 50/50 (miked ranks / red ranks), but today I've got a streak of red ranks in matchmaking. Yesterday -- a lot of new players. 

    > Are you able to give more detailed info on how it was during those matches? Besides the cheater where you dc'd, did you throw any matches? Did you notice any consistent ways of playing in terms of experience? 

    Yesterday I was able to do some fun stuff with perks and strategy, like using Tinkerer with its full power. Do some mind games. 

    Today's experience is more like playing vs like experienced players, some of them just troll you, knows perfect vault timing and can chase you over entire map. This is something close I had with "OldMatchmaking". Oh yes, those players are usually "obsolete: Red Ranks. Not super cool. If I switch killer, I'd probably get some more relaxed games, but I am planning to stick with Bubba to see to where it brings me. 

    No, I usually do not throw any matches except someone is hacking or when I did not notice "Object" on Midwich. 

    > There may be a lot of new guys, but there could also be a lot of experienced players creating new profiles to gain an edge.

    > That is perhaps the only thing the ranking system has any use for now.

    Yeah, I've a separate account to practice and learn some techniques in "Kill your friends" mode, so I can practice and learn some things without bothering my friends. And of course, I wanted to see how easy it would be to go against rank 20 killers/survs. I ranked up to my "real" rank (8 - 7) quite fast (like in 4 days) on a new account. 

    If people want to spend their money and buy the game -- I am okay with that. They cannot transfer BP or cosmetic in to their main account anyways. 

    There is no any big reason to do so. 

    Firstly, thank you for your very detailed reply. I hear what you say about ranks not being "meaningless", and I do agree that pipping up requires practice. Yet the Emblem system has already been heavily criticised for its purpose, and pipping is as much dependant on many factors other than skill (e.g.: skill of other players; a bad session; luck; limitations; etc.).

    From experience, the rank system was not a reliable indicator of skill, and therefore the amount of hours put in doesn't mean that player will be better than others. People get to a skill cap in areas with limited outcomes, and tend to wobble around that mean line of skill. However, newer people would show faster, more tangible signs of improvement. That's why having 9,000 hours doesn't mean you'll always be better than someone with 50 hours every match. Too many variables in a game with a smaller, finite number of outcomes. It's not a reasonable expectation.

    My experience of ranking was poor. Those with supposed "red rank" abilities were often far worse than green ranks. The ranking system back then also still meant I could face someone of identical rank in purple or red who had way more/less skill than I. On the other hand, there would be very close games between largely different ranks. Sometimes, it added up. Sometimes it didn't. Ultimately, ranking was little more than a bragging right. So yes, I stand by the fact that ranking was a) a false indicator of skill and b) obsolete.

    Yet, there is one final factor: Platform. Perhaps the system works differently on separate consoles/PC/mobile systems, so my experience would also vary from yours. Nurse is a perfect example of that - very difficult on console, but reported easier on PC. Could that be a reason why both your and my experiences differ drastically?