I think i've made my opinion on immersion pretty clear, so allow me to explain why i don't like it
People seem to have the misconception that i think if you play sneaky in any way that i think you are useless/bad/moronic, allow me to clear this up, no, i do not think this, i can completely understand not wanting to loop the killer due to lack of confidence or simply not wanting to draw aggro, and i respect that. Hell i would be lying if i said my main playstyle didn't revolve around being sneaky so that you can eventually blow up the killer's ears with notifications (Diversion, AMN and Red Herring help with that). So please, if you feel like i insulted or attacked your playstyle, i am sorry, and when i say "immersion" i mean "hiding in bushes for the whole game, never going for saves or gens, and simply waiting for everyone else to die so that you can get hatch", so allow me to explain why i don't like Immersion based on how i personally define it
1.Immersion is a cowardly and unimpressive playstyle
I have already said that stealth is a completely fine playstyle on it's own and if you do it, more power to you, hell it's brave in it's own way, seeing as if you so much as make a sound that's enough for the big scary killer to find you. however i can't fathom how hiding in bushes the entire match is in any way brave or impressive, all it is is hiding in bushes waiting for your team to die so that you can get hatch, where's the fun in that? there's no interaction, no way to show your bravery or skill, NOTHING about immersion is in any way brave or impressive
2.Immersed survivors are dead weight
This is a TEAM game, where everyone has to pull their weight in order to escape, everyone who has played this game knows how much losing a single teammate drastically shifts the game in the killers favour, if you are facing a killer with map pressure in a 3v1 situation ON TOP of a 3 gen lock, you are quite simply screwed, the only way you are doing anything is if the killer gets cocky and messes up (has happened to me more then i care to admit). which is why people get annoyed when people DC or suicide early into a match, if you have a immersed gamer in your party, and you can clearly see they have no intention of helping, you have essentially already lost
Final Point: Immersion is a crutch
As anyone who uses training wheels constantly can tell you, using crutches constantly weakens your ability as a player, for instance, i used NOED on a few of my killers when i started out, now, i took it off and found my ability enhanced and improved because i learned that i have no safety net for kills, and now i only use NOED when learning new killers, the same goes with the META of second chances, i took them off, and improved because i had to. This is why immersed gamers go down incredibly quickly whenever you find them, they haven't felt the need to improve because they have a massive safety net, which is why i always recommend that immersed gamers take off the stealth training wheels for a bit and improve, it's a shame that it rarely works out.
So there, i hope that's cleared things up, i do not hate stealth, i just hate when my teammates/opponents have Zero intention of helping.
Comments
I agree with most of what you said.
But it is not a team game. It's not 4v1. Its 1+1+1+1 v 1.
fair enough, but a key mechanic in survivor gameplay is working with the other survivors, I.E, TEAMwork, but as a surv who always solo queues, i can see how it can't be a team game
Yeah I mean I prefer to play with people TRYING to work together, but I never expect it. They want to survive more than they want to save me. And unless it's an easy save I'm the same. If they're being camped on hook, sorry, but I'm out. And I expect the same tbh.
honestly trying to go for saves against a camper without BT is basically suicide, i'm the same way
Now you’ve fully explained it. I understand what you mean and I agree. I play stealthy but I’m not immersive in a way I won’t do gens, or go for unhooks etc. I also don’t mind getting into chases as I actually enjoy looping the killer.
I had a match last night where we got down to 1 gen left against a Freddy. He was really easy to loop and me and a random Nancy were pushing this gen, but we just couldn’t get it finished. I had Kindred and whenever she or this David would be hooked, I’d notice Dwight’s aura either wasn’t visible (in a locker) or he was crouched behind a tree doing absolutely nothing. This really pissed me off as me and Nancy were honestly wasting so much of this Freddy’s time and he didn’t touch a generator once. I think the whole looping and trying to fix a generator scenario went on for around 10 mins. It was honestly intense and really fun. In the end it got down to me and Dwight and he was put in the basement so I left him there to die and got the exit gate. I wasn’t going to risk going down for a player like that.
I just think with players like that, who needs a killer? Lol. At the end of the game I noticed he had Urban Evasion and a key so he was waiting for us to die when we could have all escaped if he had tried to help us. I messaged him at the end of the match and he told me he was doing generators and when I told him I had Kindred he didn’t reply. He knows he did nothing. Getting teammates like that just really boils my blood.
Could we maybe agree on calling it 'hiding it out'?
I completely disagree with this. Stealth is optimal in DBD, and for a long time was the meta because the higher ranks were 3-5 blink / omegablink nurse dominated.
There is nothing wrong with stealth as long as you are doing gens too. And the only stealth perk you really need is spine chill. Assume the killer comes over to your gen, they take 20-30 seconds to find you, you blow your sprint burst, and then you start looping. That's an extra 20-30 seconds of the killers time wasted while using no pallets. Or they give up, and have to waste even more time going over to another gen while you immediately hop back on your generator.
The only time it's not optimal is if your teammates are on death hook when you have not gotten into any chases yourself. Or if you are significantly better than your teammates and can make use of the pallets better.
Plenty of killers are so strong that there is essentially no real looping them if they are good. Deathslinger, Oni in bloodfury, Nurse, Spirit, Snare Freddy while you are asleep, anyone running PWYF + Nemesis, etc. So it's always best to waste their time by hiding instead of by being in chases with them when you can.
no worries man, i have difficulty explaining things so i say one thing and explain it later (Autism does that to me more then i would like), but glad to know we share a similar viewpoint
agree to disagree, hiding it out is waiting for the killer to leave before you do something, immersion is doing nothing even when the killer is on the other side of the map to you
Stealth play is the equivalent of camping a hook.
It's boring for the other side.
There are situations for either where it makes sense, but on a whole if you're just spine chilling and urban evading the entire match you're no better than a killer that just camps the first dude.
Also, it's typically bad for your survivor teammates. You have to take some aggro in this game, including at times actually intentionally taking a hook state.
I'd rather face a four man click clack super loop group than a group of spine chillers any day of the week.
It’s totally fine. It can be hard trying to explain things through text, it’s definitely not the same as being able to actually articulate what you want to say with words. I just thought you meant that trying to be sneaky whilst also doing objectives was something you didn’t like. Now I know you just don’t like when teammates do nothing but hide all game and wait for the hatch, I have to agree. That type of gameplay isn’t strategic. It’s just selfish.
I'd argue that 'immersion' in the word's meaning is in a way closer to 'do something to avoid the killer and then get on with things' than 'hiding it out'
Amen