Help me learn deathslinger please

As title states I need help learning deathslinger because I just don’t see what others are talking about how he is stronger than huntress. Anything helps but would prefer in detail on how to play him such as tactics, playstyle like hit and run and also the build and reasoning behind it so it makes sense to me why it’s on the build. I know people say don’t play him like huntress but there’s differing ways people mean that so I just want a big pool of what the strategies and builds are. Not here to argue the strength yet since I have yet to see it but needing new lenses from the other side so I can try it out multiple times so I can form a proper opinion and maybe even new skills. If needed I’m red ranks and what I consider winning is at least a pip.

Comments

  • As one of the top Deathslinger mains on leaderboards I'd say that best 3 tips for learning him is to practice your shots a lot, experiment with loops(finding out new ways to shoot&reel over them) and general good decision making on 110% killers (like when to defend certain part of the map insted of going for far gens that you won't be able to hold anyway etc).

    If you're interested I've made a DS guide some time ago giving a piece of my mind on how he should be played, where he's in the meta, etc. If you're interested you can find it here:

    I'm Kebek and as Deathslinger main I've noticed that there there is severe lack of DS guides that explain how to propely use him in chases. As of making this guide I'm top 12 Deathslinger with the mos


    I also have YT channel where I kind of regulary post pure Deathslinger content so you can see the way I play him and possibly learn something.

    If you have any specific questions be sure to ask.

    I hope this helps and good luck in your Deathslinging 👍️

  • @Kebek said:

    As one of the top Deathslinger mains on leaderboards I'd say that best 3 tips for learning him is to practice your shots a lot, experiment with loops(finding out new ways to shoot&reel over them) and general good decision making on 110% killers (like when to defend certain part of the map insted of going for far gens that you won't be able to hold anyway etc).

    If you're interested I've made a DS guide some time ago giving a piece of my mind on how he should be played, where he's in the meta, etc. If you're interested you can find it here:

    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2121171589

    I also have YT channel where I kind of regulary post pure Deathslinger content so you can see the way I play him and possibly learn something.

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGCPA43ebUBxa2KoUv-kiJw/featured?view_as=subscriber

    If you have any specific questions be sure to ask.

    I hope this helps and good luck in your Deathslinging 👍️

    Thank you so much! I’ll watch and read these links you have sent me and work on my deathslinger today. I’ll quote you again if I have questions or thoughts.

  • I’m not a death slinger god but I have played him since release.

    add ons: the terror radius addons are a bit gimmicky but can useful in niche situations. A good addon combo to use for starting him will be the reduce shot cool down this will encourage you to shoot the gun more often.

    range indicators: his range with his gun is 18m. 18m may seem short to some but you be surprised by what’s considered 18m. Their is a unique score event called sharpshooter you will only get this score event by catching the survivor with your maximum range while this is great for both bloodpoints and a potential down this is the most dangerous shot to make due to the breakout bar will be more then likely close to full when reeling in.

    reeling: when you have a survivor on your spear the survivor on attack will shift their body towards you this is where either the shot was a miss or a hit. When you reel in the survivor you need to back up to have the most control. The only time to move forward with the reel is if a survivor is blocking the survivor from MOVING to you. Coming back to first point,when I said the survivors body shift toward you when speared is when you do corner shots ex(I shoot a survivor at the door to the entrance of the garage in gas heaven on hit move immediately back so the survivor can’t get stuck on the wall and so you shifted the survivor back to the door of the entrance).


    last point: deathslinger is about predictions the Speer when shot has a travel time the equivalent of a charged huntress throw but It is not a hitscan def(the bullet has no travel time and is a instant hit or miss) therefore you will need to watch the survivors how they run and loop each survivor is different but their is one thing to keep in mind, be careful about OVERESTIMATEING what I mean is try not to assume everyone in your lobby knows how to dodge slingers or any range killer they may just run in a straight line and you assume they are going to dodge but really they are just running without a plan.

  • @Kebek said:

    As one of the top Deathslinger mains on leaderboards I'd say that best 3 tips for learning him is to practice your shots a lot, experiment with loops(finding out new ways to shoot&reel over them) and general good decision making on 110% killers (like when to defend certain part of the map insted of going for far gens that you won't be able to hold anyway etc).

    If you're interested I've made a DS guide some time ago giving a piece of my mind on how he should be played, where he's in the meta, etc. If you're interested you can find it here:

    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2121171589

    I also have YT channel where I kind of regulary post pure Deathslinger content so you can see the way I play him and possibly learn something.

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGCPA43ebUBxa2KoUv-kiJw/featured?view_as=subscriber

    If you have any specific questions be sure to ask.

    I hope this helps and good luck in your Deathslinging 👍️

    2463C9FA-139F-44C4-9F75-9A40E870708F.jpeg 5EA1292D-E924-431E-AF28-D88AC57F1A74.jpeg 9387286E-3759-41AD-BEBC-9077345F1F39.jpeg

    Wow! That worked very well and better than expected. Imma consider red ranks both in the way they played and reset was quite recent so I’m assuming the purple 5s were red before reset. I chose addons that would help me experiment with shots so faster reloading and aiming down sight walking speed for added pressure if they are too fidgety it will result in a hit. I’m going to keep trying this build and other builds from others. If anything it has helped me at least find a good base build for him.

    I do have a question though for reeling. I see a lot of people say if you back up while reeling they struggle less but if you walk forward that’s where they can do those wide sweeps resulting in getting stunned is that true? I remembered trying to do both in my game and seemed like they were unable to move as much when going back so if so that’s another way I have been playing incorrect. Also what happens if DS stays still while reeling is it in between or is it always good to just back up?

  • @Schlute6969 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1447542#Comment_1447542

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/NR0SCDD8XWA0/2463c9fa-139f-44c4-9f75-9a40e870708f.jpeg

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/0AD64V7U4WBX/5ea1292d-e924-431e-af28-d88ac57f1a74.jpeg

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/C0O2EWNFSI6S/9387286e-3759-41ad-bebc-9077345f1f39.jpeg

    Wow! That worked very well and better than expected. Imma consider red ranks both in the way they played and reset was quite recent so I’m assuming the purple 5s were red before reset. I chose addons that would help me experiment with shots so faster reloading and aiming down sight walking speed for added pressure if they are too fidgety it will result in a hit. I’m going to keep trying this build and other builds from others. If anything it has helped me at least find a good base build for him.

    I do have a question though for reeling. I see a lot of people say if you back up while reeling they struggle less but if you walk forward that’s where they can do those wide sweeps resulting in getting stunned is that true? I remembered trying to do both in my game and seemed like they were unable to move as much when going back so if so that’s another way I have been playing incorrect. Also what happens if DS stays still while reeling is it in between or is it always good to just back up?

    Glad it helped you. DS is pretty good when you play him well. I've been 3-4king with him in red ranks very consistently almost since he released so I can assure you that he's viable for playing in red ranks while also beiing really fun.

    For the reeling question, generally yes, if you walk backwards you lessen their ability to move sideway significantly (be sure to adjust your movement to sides according to the movement of your chain/them) and if you walk towards them they can move much more. Overall it's a good idea to be used to walking backwards whenever you land a shots and it's viable to reel them to you (no objects that would break the chain are in the way). Ofc there are quite a few scenarios where it's required to do something different (mostly when outplaying loops) but for almost any longshot you're better off to walk back so that they can't mess up your chain. It's a learning process, to know how to play each shot correctly.

    If you stay still (no reason to do that I'm pretty sure) and reel you'll be pulling them towards you but slower and they'll still have decent control over the chain. Not advised.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Deathslinger stronger than huntress... ?

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/A9YAKY4HN61N/image.png

    Well I can give you the best BIS build for Deathslinger:

    • Monitor & Abuse = literally the best perk for him, this + his addons, you can get in shooting range without survivors hearing your terror radius... Wierd design if you ask me, considering huntress is a ranged killer as well so you can hear her humming from a mile away. But that's a topic for another post
    • Save The Best for Last (STBL) = Easily one his best BIS perks. You can shoot the obsession and let the chain break, thus giving you a free hit, but you are stunned for a considerable amount of time.... It's fantastic for the other 3 survivors as Deathslinger's entire power is focused on chasing, and as soon as you end it, the better for you.

    I will now introduce some other flex perks, ran with those 2 perks above ^

    • Nurse's Calling
    • Sloppy Butcher

    Thanks to your terror radius being so small and so hard to hear + monitor and abuse alone, can get your some really nice kills with nurses's calling as you can essentially sneak up on people. Addons are just the cherry on top really at this point. Sloppy I don't have to explain, it's to buy you more time.

    • Noed
    • Corrupt Intervention

    You are prepared for both the start and the end game. Corrupt is quite good for the start of the game, don't forget you are a slow killer after all. You excel in chases but hitting shots can be tricky and sometimes very punishing. This perk can help you in that regard, getting that early down without worrying 1 or 2 gens might pop, sometimes 3...

    As for NOED I don't need to explain. Makes you faster, and when you shoot and hook someone, you can instantly down them.

    • Nurse's Calling
    • PGTW / Ruin

    Probably the best 2 perks you can mix together. You have a perk to regress gens and one to give you Info, usually what I see most Deathslingers run when I go against them

    • Ruin / PGTW
    • Corrupt Intervnention

    You essentially hate gen rushers and focused mainly on getting fast downs and regressing gens.

    • PGTW / Ruin
    • NOED

    Classic Combo, you tried your best, and now are prepared to turn the tables in the end-game

    -------

    As for other perk combos:

    • Sloppy butcher
    • Nurses's Calling
    • Corrupter Intervention
    • Monitor & Abuse

    Anothher mix of perks that go well together. Corrupt help with early game, Monitor to surprise survivors most of the time granting you a free hit, Nurses's Calling and Sloppy just a great mix all-together

    • Monitor&Abuse
    • Save the Best for Last
    • NOED - I'd replace this with BBQ nowadays
    • Nurse's Calling - I'd replace this with PGTW / Ruin nowadays

    This USED to be.. BY FAR, the strongest combo for Deathslinger, hands down. You can switch Nurse's for a gen-regressing perk or Monitor but I'd choose Nurses's personally. I haven't seen any Deathslingers run this... in a long... long while.

    You can mix and match the perks you like

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    As for tactics:

    • Fake your shot, press right click to aim, then down again. Sometimes the survivor will try to dodge your attack, thus, granting you a free hit since you now closed distance between you and him. You have no penalty for doing so, other than a small movement one but that's easily ignorred
    • Predict your shots, you get this with experience really, the more you play, the better you're gonna predict
    • Don't go for long shots unless you are extremely confident or the survivor just runs in a straight line and doesn't look behind, I'm looking at you Meg...
    • Treat Windows like Huntress and go for Window Shots. Don't shoot unless the survivor vaults the window or you know exactly that he's gonna vault. You can be on other side of the window, shoot and pull a survivor close to you to get a hit
    • Short loops, loops you can shoot over are the best for you as you can essentially drag survivors around the entire loop so you can land a hit

    As for Addons:

    • Addons that reduce reload time are pretty nice
    • Addons that decrease your terror radius are good
    • Addons that decrease your stun duration when a survivor breaks free are nice
    • Addons that makes your chain resist more before it breaks are pretty nice as well.
    • Addons that decrease your penalty for missing shots are perfect for learning deathslinger, and essentially good all-around

    That's all I can think of right now, safe hunting

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/5YUSKITIHOO0/image.png

    Edit: to fix some grammar issues. I could go in much more detail, but I'm gonna let you figure out some things by yourself.

    I mean I’ve just seen it a lot recently on these forums calling for a nerf for him because he is apparently so OP and some saying he’s better than huntress. I don’t agree but I also never asked how to play him by said people who thought better of him so thought it’d be good to try out stuff I haven’t seen or tried. I still don’t see it yet considering every shot I see I can make with him can be made with huntress. I think I’m going to try to focus on him baiting shots since that’s the thing he kinda has on huntress is ability to quickly threaten his ranged attack. He has tight shots he could do but usually they don’t result in much and the ability to do so doesn’t happen much either.

    I have tried most of these build already except for noed but I will still experiment to see which one seems to get results and what not. Thank you.

  • @shadowman0105 said:

    I’m not a death slinger god but I have played him since release.

    add ons: the terror radius addons are a bit gimmicky but can useful in niche situations. A good addon combo to use for starting him will be the reduce shot cool down this will encourage you to shoot the gun more often.

    range indicators: his range with his gun is 18m. 18m may seem short to some but you be surprised by what’s considered 18m. Their is a unique score event called sharpshooter you will only get this score event by catching the survivor with your maximum range while this is great for both bloodpoints and a potential down this is the most dangerous shot to make due to the breakout bar will be more then likely close to full when reeling in.

    reeling: when you have a survivor on your spear the survivor on attack will shift their body towards you this is where either the shot was a miss or a hit. When you reel in the survivor you need to back up to have the most control. The only time to move forward with the reel is if a survivor is blocking the survivor from MOVING to you. Coming back to first point,when I said the survivors body shift toward you when speared is when you do corner shots ex(I shoot a survivor at the door to the entrance of the garage in gas heaven on hit move immediately back so the survivor can’t get stuck on the wall and so you shifted the survivor back to the door of the entrance).

    last point: deathslinger is about predictions the Speer when shot has a travel time the equivalent of a charged huntress throw but It is not a hitscan def(the bullet has no travel time and is a instant hit or miss) therefore you will need to watch the survivors how they run and loop each survivor is different but their is one thing to keep in mind, be careful about OVERESTIMATEING what I mean is try not to assume everyone in your lobby knows how to dodge slingers or any range killer they may just run in a straight line and you assume they are going to dodge but really they are just running without a plan.

    Thanks for the tips! Really helps and will keep it all in mind as I try out new build and maybe test with my own made up ones covering up some of his own weaknesses.

  • @Kebek said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1447684#Comment_1447684

    Glad it helped you. DS is pretty good when you play him well. I've been 3-4king with him in red ranks very consistently almost since he released so I can assure you that he's viable for playing in red ranks while also beiing really fun.

    For the reeling question, generally yes, if you walk backwards you lessen their ability to move sideway significantly (be sure to adjust your movement to sides according to the movement of your chain/them) and if you walk towards them they can move much more. Overall it's a good idea to be used to walking backwards whenever you land a shots and it's viable to reel them to you (no objects that would break the chain are in the way). Ofc there are quite a few scenarios where it's required to do something different (mostly when outplaying loops) but for almost any longshot you're better off to walk back so that they can't mess up your chain. It's a learning process, to know how to play each shot correctly.

    If you stay still (no reason to do that I'm pretty sure) and reel you'll be pulling them towards you but slower and they'll still have decent control over the chain. Not advised.

    Ok awesome thank you! I’ll take this all with me into my matches and hopefully by end of today I can have a better understanding.

  • Don't think/play like a Huntress, because he's not especially "a weaker huntress" but a totally different long distance killer and one of the best 1vs1 killer in the game (the best for me). My build : (Pop/BBQ/M&A/Nurse's)

  • @Schlute6969 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1447542#Comment_1447542

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/NR0SCDD8XWA0/2463c9fa-139f-44c4-9f75-9a40e870708f.jpeg

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/0AD64V7U4WBX/5ea1292d-e924-431e-af28-d88ac57f1a74.jpeg

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/C0O2EWNFSI6S/9387286e-3759-41ad-bebc-9077345f1f39.jpeg

    Wow! That worked very well and better than expected. Imma consider red ranks both in the way they played and reset was quite recent so I’m assuming the purple 5s were red before reset. I chose addons that would help me experiment with shots so faster reloading and aiming down sight walking speed for added pressure if they are too fidgety it will result in a hit. I’m going to keep trying this build and other builds from others. If anything it has helped me at least find a good base build for him.

    I do have a question though for reeling. I see a lot of people say if you back up while reeling they struggle less but if you walk forward that’s where they can do those wide sweeps resulting in getting stunned is that true? I remembered trying to do both in my game and seemed like they were unable to move as much when going back so if so that’s another way I have been playing incorrect. Also what happens if DS stays still while reeling is it in between or is it always good to just back up?

    It looks like your deathslinger has a bandanna over his face.. how did you get that skin? If that's not it, which skin are you using?

  • @lucid4444 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1447684#Comment_1447684

    It looks like your deathslinger has a bandanna over his face.. how did you get that skin? If that's not it, which skin are you using?

    Sorry replying so late life got busy but yeah no bandana just the anniversary 4 skin. My camera took picture and guess as he was moving it blurred it so that it looks like a bandana.