Do you use Keyboard or Controller?

So today I got my very first gaming PC, I’ve been playing DBD on Xbox for a little over year now and I tried using the keyboard and mouse with DBD on PC and it’s hard asf for me I had to connect my controller. Anyone else use controller? Or is it just muscle memory for you PC players and are used to it?

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • I can play both.

    And Survivor's honestly fine with either.

    But as Killer, i need to be able to turn fast, 360s would be way too annoying without.

  • I can help you out since I used to be a console gamer myself.

    I made the switch from Xbox to PC a while ago. Now I have over 2000 hours on PC.

    I didn't have too much trouble playing killer with M&K (only certain killers gave me issues). Survivor was a lot harder to play.

    At first I was using a controller when playing survivor. But then I decided to endure the really bad matches and learn to use M&K. It took a while to get good but I did it (through perseverance).

    I highly recommend you learn M&K. Once you do, you'll realize just how superior M&K is.

    One last thing I should mention that is very important. DbD was not my first PC game. The first PC game I played was Dragon's Dogma on Steam. That game genuinely helped me get used to M&K. If you're having a really hard time adjusting to M&K, I encourage you to purchase a single player game to help you learn M&K baby steps at a time.

  • You should play killer with a mouse (aim) and controller (movement). It is the future. WASD is old news.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    You should play killer with a mouse (aim) and controller (movement). It is the future. WASD is old news.

    Lol no it's not πŸ˜‚ M&K will always be superior.

  • @Babyyy_Boyy said:

    So today I got my very first gaming PC, I’ve been playing DBD on Xbox for a little over year now and I tried using the keyboard and mouse with DBD on PC and it’s hard asf for me I had to connect my controller. Anyone else use controller? Or is it just muscle memory for you PC players and are used to it?

    You will learn it over time, don't worry about it. And if you can succeed with controller, why not play with it?

  • @Boss said:

    I can play both.

    And Survivor's honestly fine with either.

    But as Killer, i need to be able to turn fast, 360s would be way too annoying without.

    If you want to play survivor at a really high level, then you'll need to use M&K. All the best survivors use M&K.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368576#Comment_1368576

    If you want to play survivor at a really high level, then you'll need to use M&K. All the best survivors use M&K.

    You dont need m&k for survivor if you play on 100% sensitivity for both yaw and pitch on controller.

  • @OhMyWords said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368598#Comment_1368598

    You dont need m&k for survivor if you play on 100% sensitivity for both yaw and pitch on controller.

    What is yaw and pitch?

    Also, controller can't compete with M&K. You'll never achieve the level of responsiveness that M&K has with a controller.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    I can help you out since I used to be a console gamer myself.

    I made the switch from Xbox to PC a while ago. Now I have over 2000 hours on PC.

    I didn't have too much trouble playing killer with M&K (only certain killers gave me issues). Survivor was a lot harder to play.

    At first I was using a controller when playing survivor. But then I decided to endure the really bad matches and learn to use M&K. It took a while to get good but I did it (through perseverance).

    I highly recommend you learn M&K. Once you do, you'll realize just how superior M&K is.

    One last thing I should mention that is very important. DbD was not my first PC game. The first PC game I played was Dragon's Dogma on Steam. That game genuinely helped me get used to M&K. If you're having a really hard time adjusting to M&K, I encourage you to purchase a single player game to help you learn M&K baby steps at a time.

    That would be great. I’m just not used to keys. I know you can customize what keys make you comfortable in the settings but tbh I don’t know what to use. The keys to move and turn are so different compared to Analog Sticks.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368610#Comment_1368610

    What is yaw and pitch?

    Also, controller can't compete with M&K. You'll never achieve the level of responsiveness that M&K has with a controller.

    Yaw is horizontal and pitch is vertical. In some games controller can compete with m&k especially if there's aim assist/no need for precise aim. Take spider man for example. You don't need to precisely aim to web someone up. Just move your cam to highlight an enemy and spam r1. Second example: Playing night hunter in dying light is hard with a slow sensitivity however you can put everything on 100% and still be able to compete like a pc gamer. Of course the effort spent is 3 times more than just using mouse and keyboard.

  • Can you move at a 35 degree angle forward and to the right with WASD?

    No.

    You can with a control stick.

  • @Babyyy_Boyy

    I took some screenshots of my key bindings. You can use mine if you want (I think they're pretty intuitive for a console gamer).

    Screenshot_18.png


    Screenshot_16.png Screenshot_17.png Screenshot_18.png Screenshot_19.png

    M5 is a side button on my mouse. MW DN means scrolling down with the mouse wheel.

  • @OhMyWords said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368614#Comment_1368614

    Yaw is horizontal and pitch is vertical. In some games controller can compete with m&k especially if there's aim assist/no need for precise aim. Take spider man for example. You don't need to precisely aim to web someone up. Just move your cam to highlight an enemy and spam r1. Second example: Playing night hunter in dying light is hard with a slow sensitivity however you can put everything on 100% and still be able to compete like a pc gamer. Of course the effort spent is 3 times more than just using mouse and keyboard.

    You'll still have faster response time with a M&K.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368595#Comment_1368595

    Can you move at a 35 degree angle forward and to the right with WASD?

    No.

    You can with a control stick.

    Controllers are good for racing games and that's it lol.

  • I use controller. While I like some games with M&K, I prefer DBD with one. I mean, I hit rank 1 survivor & I'm not having an issue learning killer yet. Hit rank 10 recently and I'm able to spin with the 360ing survivors pretty easily. The only thing I found M&K to be truly superior at is hitting great skill checks consecutively. I'm not sure why that is, perhaps BHVR could up their sensitivity maximum a bit more for controller?

    I think you can play with either without issue. Just go with what you're comfortable with.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368652#Comment_1368652

    Controllers are good for racing games and that's it lol.

    Not true, you have better control over your movements with a controller. Using a digital input (WASD) is very limiting.

  • @Babyyy_Boyy said:

    So today I got my very first gaming PC, I’ve been playing DBD on Xbox for a little over year now and I tried using the keyboard and mouse with DBD on PC and it’s hard asf for me I had to connect my controller. Anyone else use controller? Or is it just muscle memory for you PC players and are used to it?

    I just switched from ps4 to PC. It took some getting used but it's getting better. For me, the mouse sensitivity is insane. I lowered it from the default and have been gradually increasing it hoping to get accustomed to at least the default setting.

    My eyes had to adjust too. I went from playing dbd on a 65 inch tv to a 24in monitor.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368679#Comment_1368679

    Not true, you have better control over your movements with a controller. Using a digital input (WASD) is very limiting.

    Are you still playing on console? Or have you made the switch to PC yet?

    Not trying to be mean, just want to find out how much experience you have with a M&K.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368695#Comment_1368695

    Are you still playing on console? Or have you made the switch to PC yet?

    Not trying to be mean, just want to find out how much experience you have with a M&K.

    I played PC for a long time (not DBD just PC in general). You have way more control over movement with an analog stick. You can move smoothly in any direction you want. Moving with a keyboard looks and feels so janky.

    There is a reason a lot of people playing survivor use a controller, because doing 360's are easier and it's easier to hug loops. You just press the stick in the direction of the wall. With WASD you have to constantly adjust your camera to get the same result and even then it won't be as smooth.

    Hence why I say play with a mouse AND controller. You get better aim and movement.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368710#Comment_1368710

    I played PC for a long time (not DBD just PC in general). You have way more control over movement with an analog stick. You can move smoothly in any direction you want. Moving with a keyboard looks and feels so janky.

    There is a reason a lot of people playing survivor use a controller, because doing 360's are easier and it's easier to hug loops. You just press the stick in the direction of the wall. With WASD you have to constantly adjust your camera to get the same result and even then it won't be as smooth.

    Hence why I say play with a mouse AND controller. You get better aim and movement.

    What you're describing to me does not pan out in practice (at least in my experience).

    How long have you played DbD using M&K only?

    Because 99% of the really good players I know use M&K. I've never heard of people using a controller and mouse together before.

    You'll have to link some footage for me to see. Otherwise I have no idea what you're basing this on.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368710#Comment_1368710

    I played PC for a long time (not DBD just PC in general). You have way more control over movement with an analog stick. You can move smoothly in any direction you want. Moving with a keyboard looks and feels so janky.

    There is a reason a lot of people playing survivor use a controller, because doing 360's are easier and it's easier to hug loops. You just press the stick in the direction of the wall. With WASD you have to constantly adjust your camera to get the same result and even then it won't be as smooth.

    Hence why I say play with a mouse AND controller. You get better aim and movement.

    Sounds kinda odd combo to play with controller and mouse. Never seen anyone do it but I'm gonna give it a try.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368741#Comment_1368741

    What you're describing to me does not pan out in practice (at least in my experience).

    How long have you played DbD using M&K only?

    Because 99% of the really good players I know use M&K. I've never heard of people using a controller and mouse together before.

    You'll have to link some footage for me to see. Otherwise I have no idea what you're basing this on.

    Yea no one uses a mouse and controller because people are binary. They pick one or the other.

    Mouse is better for aim.

    Controller is better for movement.

    Use both to ascend to the next level.

    I've only experimented with it in Brutal Doom but it works WAY better than either individually. Only drawback is that it's not very comfortable since you have to basically hold the entire controller with 1 hand, but I was just resting it on my lap.

  • @hahadrillgobrrr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368741#Comment_1368741

    Sounds kinda odd combo to play with controller and mouse. Never seen anyone do it but I'm gonna give it a try.

    Neither have I. Most PC players are elitist and think m/kb is just better but it's not. The mouse part is what makes it as good as it is, but using a keyboard for a digital input removes a lot of movement options (moving at odd angles or moving at different speeds, that sort of thing).

    BTW I'm not denying a mouse is better for aim. It clearly is. But a keyboard is NOT better for movement. Not even close.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368759#Comment_1368759

    Yea no one uses a mouse and controller because people are binary. They pick one or the other.

    Mouse is better for aim.

    Controller is better for movement.

    Use both to ascend to the next level.

    I've only experimented with it in Brutal Doom but it works WAY better than either individually. Only drawback is that it's not very comfortable since you have to basically hold the entire controller with 1 hand, but I was just resting it on my lap.

    Still sounds very strange to me. I've never had any problems using my keyboard for movement.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368760#Comment_1368760

    Neither have I. Most PC players are elitist and think m/kb is just better but it's not. The mouse part is what makes it as good as it is, but using a keyboard for a digital input removes a lot of movement options (moving at odd angles or moving at different speeds, that sort of thing).

    BTW I'm not denying a mouse is better for aim. It clearly is. But a keyboard is NOT better for movement. Not even close.

    I don't know if it has anything to do with elitism and more of what they are accustomed to. E.G. I don't play any driving games with M&K and I don't play any FPS game with controller.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368775#Comment_1368775

    Still sounds very strange to me. I've never had any problems using my keyboard for movement.

    Nothing to do with you having problems. It's just more optimal to use a controller for movement. I don't have problems aiming with a controller but I won't deny that a mouse is just more optimal.

  • I use mouse & keyboard when playing killer, and a Xbox One gamepad for survivor.

  • I try to use my brain, but i am not too good with that. (Keyboard)

  • I started playing dbd on console, about 2k hours, then I moved to pc about 2 months ago and been using nothing but keyboard, while it is harder for me because this is my first pc game that I've played it is not that hard once you get used to, sometimes I've used a ps4 controller but the only reason I don't use it anymore is because, ######### is RT, RB,LT,LB, Y,A,B,X, I'm a sony boy I've never played with an xbox before, if BHVR added an option to make the controller buttons the PS way and also keep the xbox way I would use controller more often.

  • @The_Bootie_Gorgon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/163086/do-you-use-keyboard-or-controller

    I just switched from ps4 to PC. It took some getting used but it's getting better. For me, the mouse sensitivity is insane. I lowered it from the default and have been gradually increasing it hoping to get accustomed to at least the default setting.

    My eyes had to adjust too. I went from playing dbd on a 65 inch tv to a 24in monitor.

    Same. My tv was very large and now I only have a 24 Inch monitor. I hope I catch onto the keys soon.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368710#Comment_1368710

    I played PC for a long time (not DBD just PC in general). You have way more control over movement with an analog stick. You can move smoothly in any direction you want. Moving with a keyboard looks and feels so janky.

    There is a reason a lot of people playing survivor use a controller, because doing 360's are easier and it's easier to hug loops. You just press the stick in the direction of the wall. With WASD you have to constantly adjust your camera to get the same result and even then it won't be as smooth.

    Hence why I say play with a mouse AND controller. You get better aim and movement.

    Thank you it helped a lot. I feel like I will get used to mouse and Keyboard eventually but it will take time.

  • @OldHunterLight said:

    I started playing dbd on console, about 2k hours, then I moved to pc about 2 months ago and been using nothing but keyboard, while it is harder for me because this is my first pc game that I've played it is not that hard once you get used to, sometimes I've used a ps4 controller but the only reason I don't use it anymore is because, ######### is RT, RB,LT,LB, Y,A,B,X, I'm a sony boy I've never played with an xbox before, if BHVR added an option to make the controller buttons the PS way and also keep the xbox way I would use controller more often.

    RT=R2, RB=R1, LT=L2, LB=L1, Y=Triangle, A=X, B=Circle, X=Square.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    You should play killer with a mouse (aim) and controller (movement). It is the future. WASD is old news.

    The mouse is amazing for tracking survivor jukes. I keep getting stuck on objects with the keyboard but hopefully i'll improve the more I play πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    Someone needs come up a controller mouse combo πŸ˜‚

  • @The_Bootie_Gorgon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368587#Comment_1368587

    The mouse is amazing for tracking survivor jukes. I keep getting stuck on objects with the keyboard but hopefully i'll improve the more I play πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    Someone needs come up a controller mouse combo πŸ˜‚

    When researching it I found that Nintendo Switch joycon controllers have blue tooth and can be connected to a PC. I believe that would be the best option because they are small and lightweight so it would be the most comfortable and they have extra buttons if you need them. Only thing is they are wireless only so you will have to charge them and might get interference. Also they got good reviews from people using them purely as controllers on PC.

  • @The_Bootie_Gorgon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368587#Comment_1368587

    The mouse is amazing for tracking survivor jukes. I keep getting stuck on objects with the keyboard but hopefully i'll improve the more I play πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    Someone needs come up a controller mouse combo πŸ˜‚

    Same I get stuck on stuff with Keyboard πŸ˜‚

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368789#Comment_1368789

    Nothing to do with you having problems. It's just more optimal to use a controller for movement. I don't have problems aiming with a controller but I won't deny that a mouse is just more optimal.

    I just made a reddit post and asked the Quake veterans there about what you said. Most of them had no clue what you were talking about.

    Keyboard is better because there are no dead zones. With a controller, you have to move the analog stick from one side to the other (meaning there is a delay). There is no such delay with a keyboard because you can instantly press one key and let go of the other by hovering with your fingers. This allows for snappier turns.

    I even tested this myself in the survivor tutorial. With a keyboard, I was able to make more quick and responsive turns. However, when I used a controller my movements were less quick and responsive.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368823#Comment_1368823

    I just made a reddit post and asked the Quake veterans there about what you said. Most of them had no clue what you were talking about.

    Keyboard is better because there are no dead zones. With a controller, you have to move the analog stick from one side to the other (meaning there is a delay). There is no such delay with a keyboard because you can instantly press one key and let go of the other by hovering with your fingers. This allows for snappier turns.

    I even tested this myself in the survivor tutorial. With a keyboard, I was able to make more quick and responsive turns. However, when I used a controller my movements were less quick and responsive.

    It's minimal, but yes you get snappier movement with WASD. But you lose out on the ability to move at any angle you want or change speeds which can be more valuable.

    I doubt anyone would be using a hybrid setup because it's just not normal. Quake is also a highly twitchy game, DBD is not. DBD relies more on being able to hug objects which means you want to be able to move at any angle. I doubt anyone that plays games exclusively on PC would even have tried using a controller for anything, so it's no surprise that they wouldn't know about it. You know like, why would they ever try it if they never play with a controller?

  • @BoiltOver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1368920#Comment_1368920

    RT=R2, RB=R1, LT=L2, LB=L1, Y=Triangle, A=X, B=Circle, X=Square.

    But it is confusing seeing the xbox input, I can play normally with a controller with muscle memory but thank you for that

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1369034#Comment_1369034

    When researching it I found that Nintendo Switch joycon controllers have blue tooth and can be connected to a PC. I believe that would be the best option because they are small and lightweight so it would be the most comfortable and they have extra buttons if you need them. Only thing is they are wireless only so you will have to charge them and might get interference. Also they got good reviews from people using them purely as controllers on PC.

    Ugh, now i'm going to probably buy extra joycons...my switch is currently being held hostage by gf so she can cross animals....

  • @The_Bootie_Gorgon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1369085#Comment_1369085

    Ugh, now i'm going to probably buy extra joycons...my switch is currently being held hostage by gf so she can cross animals....

    I would try it with whatever controller you have already first before you spend the money. You might not like it.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1369127#Comment_1369127

    It's minimal, but yes you get snappier movement with WASD. But you lose out on the ability to move at any angle you want or change speeds which can be more valuable.

    I doubt anyone would be using a hybrid setup because it's just not normal. Quake is also a highly twitchy game, DBD is not. DBD relies more on being able to hug objects which means you want to be able to move at any angle. I doubt anyone that plays games exclusively on PC would even have tried using a controller for anything, so it's no surprise that they wouldn't know about it. You know like, why would they ever try it if they never play with a controller?

    It's not minimal lol. I just tested it.

    Also, those snappier movements are important. You can dodge hatchets, spears, and chainsaw sprints more effectively (just to name a few).

    Lastly, you can hug objects just fine with keyboard.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1369201#Comment_1369201

    I would try it with whatever controller you have already first before you spend the money. You might not like it.

    Since I'm wfh I'm saving tons of money on gas. Even if i don't like it, it doesn't hurt me to have extra joycons. I would just take them to her, so her kid and kid's friends have more controllers for mario kart πŸ˜‚

  • I tried with PS4 controller and mouse. The feel is so unnatural for a FPS veteran like me. I can't see how it can be better than M&K even with practice.

  • @hahadrillgobrrr said:

    I tried with PS4 controller and mouse. The feel is so unnatural for a FPS veteran like me. I can't see how it can be better than M&K even with practice.

    It's not lol. I just asked some Quake veterans and they said M&K is better. A keyboard doesn't have dead zones like a controller.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1369275#Comment_1369275

    It's not lol. I just asked some Quake veterans and they said M&K is better. A keyboard doesn't have dead zones like a controller.

    Again no one that plays exclusively on a PC in a high twitch game would even try using a controller. So I wouldn't take their word for anything honestly.

    @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1369185#Comment_1369185

    It's not minimal lol. I just tested it.

    Also, those snappier movements are important. You can dodge hatchets, spears, and chainsaw sprints more effectively (just to name a few).

    Lastly, you can hug objects just fine with keyboard.

    You can dodge this stuff easy with a controller too. You can also 360 WAY easier with a controller.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1369298#Comment_1369298

    Again no one that plays exclusively on a PC in a high twitch game would even try using a controller. So I wouldn't take their word for anything honestly.

    Quake is arguably the most skill-based game out there. If anyone would know, it's them.

    Also, you don't have to take their word. You can take mine. I've got thousands of hours of experience with controller and M&K playing DbD.

    When you tried to tell me that controller is better, I knew something wasn't right. So I asked the pros and they told me about input delay. I tested this myself just to be positive and sure enough it was there. I always knew keyboard was more snappy but I didn't consider why that was the case.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1369275#Comment_1369275

    It's not lol. I just asked some Quake veterans and they said M&K is better. A keyboard doesn't have dead zones like a controller.

    Yeah I don't see how controller + mouse could ever be better for FPS player like me.

  • @Mister_Holdout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1369317#Comment_1369317

    Quake is arguably the most skill-based game out there. If anyone would know, it's them.

    Also, you don't have to take their word. You can take mine. I've got thousands of hours of experience with controller and M&K playing DbD.

    When you tried to tell me that controller is better, I knew something wasn't right. So I asked the pros and they told me about input delay. I tested this myself just to be positive and sure enough it was there. I always knew keyboard was more snappy but I didn't consider why that was the case.

    Tell me why would a PC Quake player ever touch a controller?

    I'm telling you that you get better movement out of a controller. There shouldn't be a delay, that has to be a placebo. On console there might be a delay but that's the platform. I've done game testing, QA and UX type stuff. Using a controller on a PC shouldn't have a delay.

  • @Boss said:

    I can play both.

    And Survivor's honestly fine with either.

    But as Killer, i need to be able to turn fast, 360s would be way too annoying without.

    This 100%.

    I play with controller as survivor. As killer it has to be Keyboard and Mouse.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1369332#Comment_1369332

    Tell me why would a PC Quake player ever touch a controller?

    I'm telling you that you get better movement out of a controller. There shouldn't be a delay, that has to be a placebo. On console there might be a delay but that's the platform. I've done game testing, QA and UX type stuff. Using a controller on a PC shouldn't have a delay.

    Because these guys have a lot of experience playing high-skill games. If a controller was actually better, they would know considering the competitive nature of Quake.

    Also, since my experience isn't good enough, you can try it yourself. How many hours do you have playing DbD with a keyboard? You told me once before that you play on Xbox.

β€Ή 1 2