Current matchmaking will be a reason why I'll leave soon...

You expect me to be some rank 14 killer complaining about red rank survivors? Ha, no. I'm a red rank survivor who will complain about current matchmaking because it only shows how long you've been playing. On the one hand, I'm being teamed up with survivors who have 150 hours but somehow we share the same ranks (2-1). And that's why I loose, because my teammates are unable to play properly against high-rank killers. On the another hand, I'm being teamed up with good survivors but go against weak low rank killers, the match becomes boring, everybody just escapes. I don't feel entertained as a survivor because it's either the genrushing games or the hatch games.

And I can't be entertained as a killer too because I don't feel rewarded for winning against potatoes on high ranks. So both roles right now are boring as hell thanks to the rank system. How long will we have to wait until the matchmaking will improve? I just play for the sake of grind and the new chapter. And it's just boring.

Comments

  • If it will solely be based on time...woe to the team that gets a potato like me....

  • Now I wish I hadnt played as much as I have...

  • @Peanits said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/927/HH691ZWG6DKH.png

    We’ve observed a growing Community concern about matchmaking in recent months. Matchmaking wait times have exceeded our targeted limits and we’ve seen rank disparities fluctuate. In this Status Update, we will go in details on factors impacting the matchmaking, our current matchmaking system and our future solutions.  

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/793/ZSC8B6CPRDCP.png

    Above are the three variable factors in matchmaking, with a fourth being the number of players on each role, with an ideal ratio of 4 survivors for 1 killer at all times. When dealing with matchmaking, we need to decide how much to focus on each of the factors. If we focus on one point, the other points will see some sort of impact. For example, if we focus on time, your matches will likely end up being less fair, and you might get paired with people further away. Dedicated servers have helped us ensure a stable connection, with over 90% of players being put into matches with 150 ping and under. Our goal is to get you into a match as quickly as possible with a good connection, without compromising too much on fairness.  

    This is a difficult task in a game like Dead by Daylight, where both sides have different objectives and cannot be directly compared to one another. We’ve attempted to address this in the past with the Emblem system, but upon further review, we’ve concluded that rank does not directly correlate to skill. While a player who plays a lot will tend to be better than someone who plays very little, there are also players who are good at the game but don’t play enough to reach the upper ranks. 

    To help improve with the fairness factor without sacrificing wait times or pings, we will be making two changes. The first is a new system to better reflect a player’s skill level, and the second is a change to the matchmaking system to create fairer matches. 

     

    Going forward, we will use a hidden skill rating for matchmaking purposes. Your skill rating will increase when you do well and decrease when you do poorly. To keep this as fair as possible, the system will predict the outcome of the match based on the difference in your opponent(s) rating and adjust the amount your rating changes: 

    • If your rating is higher than your opponent(s), your rating will increase less if you win and drop more if you lose. 
    • If your rating is lower than your opponent(s), your rating will increase more if you win and drop less if you lose. 

    This way, even if you aren’t perfectly matched with people of the exact same skill level, your rating will not change unfairly. 

    In the future, we would like to extend this system to support different ratings for each killer, allowing you to practice a new killer without being immediately matched against high skilled players. This may not be included in the initial launch of the feature. 

     

    Additionally, to make sure that your matches are as fair as possible, we will be switching over to “batch matchmaking”. 

    Currently, our matchmaking system takes the player in queue and looks for a match close to their rank. If it is unable to find an appropriate match, it will gradually expand the search range until it is able to give you a match. This can lead to both unfair matches and long queue times. 

    The new batch matchmaking will instead pool a larger number of players together, compare their skill levels, and then create the fairest matches possible simultaneously. With a larger pool to pick from, we hope to improve the fairness factor of matchmaking while also keeping pings and wait times low.  

     

    The release of these changes will be gradual. With the release of the mid-chapter update, we are able to start tracking skill levels. For the time being, this is only a test and is not being used for matchmaking purposes. Once we are confident that the skill rating is working as intended, we will be running tests on live servers. 

    When this happens, you may notice some disparity in ranks during your matches. This is to be expected as rank will no longer be used for matchmaking purposes at this time. To avoid confusion, we are considering removing ranks from the post-match scoreboard once testing is complete, as they will no longer be relevant to matchmaking. Ranks will remain visible only to you for bragging rights and a goal to work towards, but will be a reflection of your dedication to the game rather than skill for the time being. 

    We are confident that these changes will allow us to create fairer matches without losing sight of our goals; to get you into a match as soon as possible with a solid connection. We’ll be sure to keep you posted on our progress as we move forward. 

    Devs said it would be coming this Month

  • On a pessimistic note, remember how much times we had "this month" when the dedicated servers were worked on?

  • @WRussoW said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1344244#Comment_1344244

    On a pessimistic note, remember how much times we had "this month" when the dedicated servers were worked on?

    On a positive note, the tests they've been running behind the scenes for this algorithm (not being used in matchmaking yet) are proving "very positive", unlike the servers which are still a shitshow.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1344250#Comment_1344250

    On a positive note, the tests they've been running behind the scenes for this algorithm (not being used in matchmaking yet) are proving "very positive", unlike the servers which are still a shitshow.

    I'm really afraid of them considering things to be somehow positive in terms of skill in this game... For some reason I feel most of them play the game like in the spotlight chapter trailers. (I can't believe they showed Cheryl using flashlight to lighten things up, I know, it's cinematic (???), but imagine new players who decide to hop into Dead by Daylight because of Silent Hill using the item and being very confused.)

  • I don’t understand why you used the word current. Matchmaking has always been terrible. I don’t think behavior is a studio capable of improving matchmaking.

  • @WRussoW said:

    You expect me to be some rank 14 killer complaining about red rank survivors? Ha, no. I'm a red rank survivor who will complain about current matchmaking because it only shows how long you've been playing. On the one hand, I'm being teamed up with survivors who have 150 hours but somehow we share the same ranks (2-1). And that's why I loose, because my teammates are unable to play properly against high-rank killers. On the another hand, I'm being teamed up with good survivors but go against weak low rank killers, the match becomes boring, everybody just escapes. I don't feel entertained as a survivor because it's either the genrushing games or the hatch games.

    And I can't be entertained as a killer too because I don't feel rewarded for winning against potatoes on high ranks. So both roles right now are boring as hell thanks to the rank system. How long will we have to wait until the matchmaking will improve? I just play for the sake of grind and the new chapter. And it's just boring.

    "And that's why I loose, because my teammates are unable to play properly against high-rank killers."

    To be fair, if you lose(aka losing a pip), even though the killer you're up against is your skill level, then its not just your teammates. If you're truly against a killer that is your skill level and your teammates are far below, then you should still be able to get at least a safety pip, and gaining a pip wouldnt be that hard.

    Besides, I am assuming you're a player who keeps using a very limited set of perks if games actually bore you. Because I personally refuse to use certain perks that would make the game too easy against a weaker killer and would only be neccesary against 0.1% of killers I face(aka DS, Unbreakable, Adrenaline) because ofcourse with those perks, you wont have to rely on your teammates at all. And even though its fine using them, they do get boring to use at some point. Because I've put in over 1200 hours in this game, at least 900 of that being survivor and have yet to encounter boredom from teammates. The only boredom I have, is facing 10 billies with the exact same perkset, I rather face harder to play killers, simply because they tend to be much better at mindgaming.

  • @Predated said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/160281/current-matchmaking-will-be-a-reason-why-ill-leave-soon

    "And that's why I loose, because my teammates are unable to play properly against high-rank killers."

    To be fair, if you lose(aka losing a pip), even though the killer you're up against is your skill level, then its not just your teammates. If you're truly against a killer that is your skill level and your teammates are far below, then you should still be able to get at least a safety pip, and gaining a pip wouldnt be that hard.

    Besides, I am assuming you're a player who keeps using a very limited set of perks if games actually bore you. Because I personally refuse to use certain perks that would make the game too easy against a weaker killer and would only be neccesary against 0.1% of killers I face(aka DS, Unbreakable, Adrenaline) because ofcourse with those perks, you wont have to rely on your teammates at all. And even though its fine using them, they do get boring to use at some point. Because I've put in over 1200 hours in this game, at least 900 of that being survivor and have yet to encounter boredom from teammates. The only boredom I have, is facing 10 billies with the exact same perkset, I rather face harder to play killers, simply because they tend to be much better at mindgaming.

    I mean, I WILL loose a pip if my team will leave me on a hook after I managed to juke a killer for a good portion of time from the beginning...

  • @WRussoW said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1344329#Comment_1344329

    I mean, I WILL loose a pip if my team will leave me on a hook after I managed to juke a killer for a good portion of time from the beginning...

    True, but those games are very rare. And if you're so worried about that, run Kindred. That way survivors can see you're not being saved by someone else.

  • Matchmaking in this game is atrocious, but hopefully the new MMR that is being implemented will fix a lot of our woes. I would like to think that it would go into effect either on the day of the reset, or the day of the new killer being released.

    This is a picture of one of Ohmwrecker's games from last month, and you can clearly tell that he should not have been in this match. I find it hard to believe that the game had such a hard time finding survivors that it had no other choice but to throw in a survivor ten levels lower than the rest of the players.

    Right now you just have to have fun and shrug off the hard matches and the toxicity. I know it's easier said than done, but you have to find the silver lining somewhere. Sometimes it's hard to be a killer against clearly more experience survivors, but even if I lose the match at least I'm walking away with a lot of blood points.

    IMG_20200611_191639.jpg