More incentive to unhook?
I’m a very altruistic player and I personally would rather get myself killed so that the rest of the team can escape than leave a man behind. However, not everybody plays like this, which is fine. The problem I have is when people will leave you to go into struggle and sometimes die on your first hook. People definitely don’t feel as pressured to unhook anymore because that hatch will spawn in no matter what. I miss when you needed a certain amount of generators to be completed for it to spawn in, as now people have no issue with leaving you to die. As they can be rewarded with an easy hatch escape. I just find it funny that in a game like this, it’s often your own teammates that screw you over more than the killer.
I think the old hatch system should be brought back. It should only appear when a certain amount of generators have been completed. This way people will realise it’s beneficial for them to have the team alive for as long as possible. If you’re the last survivor left and you haven’t reached the generator limit, EGC will activate but this time you can only escape through the exit gates. This way, escape still is possible and the game can’t be held hostage AND you don’t just get an easy escape for letting your team die.
I just don’t think a team that failed to fix a single generator should have the option of escaping in the hatch. It’s removed a lot of the suspense from the game for me. I don’t want an escape handed on a platter. If I escape, I want to have earned it. Me jumping into the ground with zero generators completed doesn’t really feel much like an escape...
Thoughts? As usual, keep it civilised. I’m open to hearing opposing points of view as you may think of something that I haven’t.
Comments
I think there are more than enough incentives. The issue is people's mindsets.
I hear what you’re saying. The reason I said there’s no incentive is because of the hatch spawning in regardless of how many generators are completed. So if you have a key, you don’t need your team alive.
When I was playing this game in 2017, I remember it feeling a lot more pressured (in a good way) when a killer was dominating as you really wanted to *at least* get the required amount of generators fixed so you could get a potential hatch escape. That’s entirely gone now as it simply doesn’t matter. It just strikes me as odd that if you lose as a killer you lose. But if you lose as a survivor you can still win.
Your team can work as distractions, keeping you alive.
There are already plenty of incentives to unhook, from BP to just the mechanical advantage of having more survivors alive and on generators. If people don't want to unhook despite all the advantages they get, nothing can fix that. If you reverted the hatch change, they'd help until the second gen, then leave you to die just the same.
I suppose you’re right about that last part. I didn’t really think about it like that. I guess with a game like this, the unpredictability is part of the charm.
There's plenty of incentives (and certainly times where altruism is probably a bad idea too of course), but some people will of course be genuinely selfish.
And for the hatch, no thanks. The current state of the hatch as well as EGC is that they exist to end the match faster than the hatch standoffs and 1v1s where a survivor has to do a gen and is being extremely cautious about it, but doesn't do anything that could be called taking the game hostage. Which side it favors is honestly a secondary concern and I actually like that it's fairly random (hatch spawning in front of one or the other, close gates vs far gates. win some and lose some, and the match ends).