Unpopular Opinion: I like facing Meefslinger/Deathslinger
Lots of people hate facing the Meefslinger but not me, I like the challenge he provides in chases and it helps me get better, people just seem to like to whine because it is not the normal run the killer around for 5 minutes type of deal, you have to be smart and decisive with your actions against him.
Tagged:
Trusted
Comments
Personally I don't hate facing him, I just find him dull. When I know I'm in a Deathslinger match my reaction is more one of "Oh yawn, ok lets get this over with".
I don't have a particularly bad time against him so I'm not saying this as a complaint or as whining or anything, but I can at least understand why survivors don't like playing against him. There's a pretty narrow window of counterplay against him I feel like. This is just some guesswork, but my thought on it is that people probably see him kind of like Spirit, where there's not a lot you can do in terms of playing against him. It's "just kind of run, and hope you get him to whiff a shot," just like against Spirit, it's "just kind of run, and hope you get her to phase the wrong way."
When I play against him I actually kind of have fun. The one thing I find that some Deathslingers will do is kind of "facecamp" but not by actually face camping you, but by just kind of scanning the area right around the hook because he essentially has a larger effective attack range than a regular M1 killer. Not that only Deathslinger will camp, but he just seems like he can do it in a slightly more annoying way because he can do it from a range, kind of like a Hag (even if he can't do it as far as her).
I personally feel like you can counterplay him in general, but it's not the same reactionary counter you do for a lot of killers, where you try to run the opposite way they do and all that. I feel like it's closer to playing against a Nurse, where you try to predict where she's going to blink before she actually blinks. Against Deathslinger, it would just instead be guessing where he's gonna shoot instead of blink. A lot of the time, even if he's hard to actually completely get away from, I can get him to whiff a lot of shots with one simple trick: running toward a pallet or window or what have you, and right when you would be about to "enter" it (go through the pallet, or vault the window, etc.) just make sharp turn to the side, and often times they will think you're going to go through it and shoot right at the opening to try to hit you. That alone is enough to make some distance, and get some breathing room before his next shot. Obviously switch it up when you can, because you don't want to do the same thing every time and get predictable.
I don't think he's the easiest killer to go up against but I definitely think he gets more crap than he deserves, in more ways than one. I don't own him yet myself but just from playing against him and watching gameplay of people playing him, I can tell that he's definitely a killer than takes a bit of skill to him and I can respect it. Another way he gets unnecessary crap is by people saying he's too weak, too strong, etc. I've seen people argue both, and that's kind of weird. I think it just goes to show what I was saying earlier, how it takes some skill to play him right. Not everybody is going to be able to do it, but the ones who can, or the ones who go up against the ones who can, are definitely going to see the strengths of the killer.
I think deathslinger is great tbh, both to play and play against.
Always the eternal advice, if you have trouble going against him, play him a lot, learn where he is weak.
The thing is a decent deathslinger is almost impossible to get away from unless u drop pallets early. Baby deathslingers are fun to vs because you can dodge their shots and bait them. Good deathslingers will just fake the shoot though and m1 you as you loose distance by preemptively dodging, which you have to. With huntress there’s a wind up time so she can’t just keep faking the shot. He gives off a lot of legion vibes, and he would be way better if there was an aiming time so he can’t just instantly shoot which is almost impossible to dodge unless you preemptively do it.
You have to balance it vs other killers, know that he has to be able to shoot you to be a thread so if you move around a lot of objects, the killer will have a hard time getting you, remember that he is fairly slow.
He is potentially strong, but hey, there is Nurse...
And a clever Trapper can end a chase before it even starts, and a Hag can.... they all have ways to end something quickly but all also have their weaknesses, Deathslinger is no exception
It's sad how this is an Unpopular opinion versus a mid tier killer.
It’s the same argument with Freddy though. Hag and trapper take prep time and careful placement, Freddy and deathslinger don’t take any prep time. Yea you can just run behind objects but this is map dependent and a decent slinger will just shoot you the second they catch sight of you. Nurse also has some of the most well designed counterplay using tactics such as breaking line of sight and doubling back. Also nurse suffered tremendously when she messes up. Deathslinger has a much smaller recovery and punishment if he manages to miss.
I enjoy playing against him too. He just gives me this thrill most killers lack. Something about getting shot at is just energizing for some reason.