Survivors should be afraid of the killer
Instead it seems a lot of them, especially in groups, get really cocky and obnoxious.
When me and my friends play survivor, yeah we work together but all of us get scared when the killer is around and games are intense.
Yet as killer I encounter survivors who instead of trying to escape will literally start running circles around me and it feels like Benny Hill is playing in the background. Last night I had a game where they gen rushed and kept tea bagging at the gate and one survivor literally stayed for an extra 10 minutes and wouldn’t leave. Another group kept unhooking and body blocking me.
I don’t want to camp. Camping is not fun. But I have to because otherwise I would have gotten nothing for my time beyond a displeased entity who can’t be satisfied with multiple hits and hooks.
I think they should make it so after x amount of time in a chase, survivors start to get exhausted like a reverse bloodlust. If they get hit, they get a burst of adrenaline but they are slowed and vaults and pallets become twice as long to use. Pallets should automatically break after 2 uses and they can’t be used if the survivor has camped the vicinity for more than 3 seconds.
In compensation I also think survivors should be able to wiggle faster, and completed wiggles take priority over hooking. And the last survivor should get a bonus for being the last survivor, like automatically getting the ability to self heal (or faster) or taking one extra hit or hook.
Survivors should live up to the name, not act like frat kids toying with someone.
When me and my friends play survivor, yeah we work together but all of us get scared when the killer is around and games are intense.
Yet as killer I encounter survivors who instead of trying to escape will literally start running circles around me and it feels like Benny Hill is playing in the background. Last night I had a game where they gen rushed and kept tea bagging at the gate and one survivor literally stayed for an extra 10 minutes and wouldn’t leave. Another group kept unhooking and body blocking me.
I don’t want to camp. Camping is not fun. But I have to because otherwise I would have gotten nothing for my time beyond a displeased entity who can’t be satisfied with multiple hits and hooks.
I think they should make it so after x amount of time in a chase, survivors start to get exhausted like a reverse bloodlust. If they get hit, they get a burst of adrenaline but they are slowed and vaults and pallets become twice as long to use. Pallets should automatically break after 2 uses and they can’t be used if the survivor has camped the vicinity for more than 3 seconds.
In compensation I also think survivors should be able to wiggle faster, and completed wiggles take priority over hooking. And the last survivor should get a bonus for being the last survivor, like automatically getting the ability to self heal (or faster) or taking one extra hit or hook.
Survivors should live up to the name, not act like frat kids toying with someone.
Comments
The problem with fear is that fear is a subjective opinion to how you feel about something. Just because you nerf the survivors doesn't mean that they will start fearing the killer. They might keep more distance away, but not exactly fear.
Killers need to be powerful if the Survivors are ever going to fear being near them.
Well you should picture DBD as a game where 4 kids are chased by a mom with a waterpistol.
Thats about the same fear level....
Ofc survivors are not gonna fear the killer with all the safezones in the map and the knowledge that they can effectively 1vs1 the killer while others do gens. the fact that you can yield a flashlight and completely blind the killer together with all the 2nd chance stuff doesnt make that better either
I was agreeing with you, but yes I do understand that which is why I said "nerf survivors"
Every survivor should feel like they're going against a really good nurse, regardless of which killer they're facing.
No, scared survivors rush gens whenever they can. Survivors that don't feel super scared will waste time doing stuff because they feel confident they can escape. Most true obsession players will pester you all game or follow you while you chase someone else. They have DS, they are confident they can escape a hook, so they don't rush the game. If you ignore them too much they might to force you to chase them, but otherwise I think that you don't always want survivors to be afraid of you as killer. Sometimes you want them to lower their guard, and then you get a big opening and take it, THEN they are scared but not in a position to gen rush.
humans learn
humans adapt
humans fear what they don't know
humans can fight back if they see a weakness to exploit
Making Survivors fear the Killer simply wouldn't last, like anything, you get used to it.
I only become scared due to tension: for instance, I'm the last one alive. The hatch is evidently somewhere but the killer's heartbeat is nowhere to be found. I have a hunch and realise the Killer has already found it... I run into a gen and have to make a risky decision: do I miss a skill check to bring him over and try to sneak around? Or do I complete it and potentially give away my position whilst also opening up the possibility of 'No One Escapes Death' kicking in and giving him an advantage?
The scenario I described ended with me sneaking past the killer after failing the skill check and getting the hatch. It is scenarios like that which craft fear with tension, that get your heart racing. As of now it feels like there is no tension whatsoever in the game. I feel very relaxed whilst the playing the game. There are very few moments during the game's progress where I feel tense: let's say I used 'Spine Chill' in order to make me aware of a killer's approach. I sneak away in a very exposed area... And I narrowly avoid being caught by the killer. I feel tense during those situations. So far there is no real pressure on survivors that would call for such a reaction or fear.
I understand the frustration. Maybe you could watch certain killers stream? One of my favorite killers is Zubatlel and he completely annihilates survivors. Any "skill" I have in this game, I picked up because I watched streamers play. You're playing against people with thousand of hours. It's a frustrating process, but learning this game does take time especially when you play against these type of experienced players.
No, no they shouldn’t, only when they first start playing. This game is good at racking up hours upon hours of playtime. Most fear the unknown. Most of these “fear the killer” suggestions are just “be so oppressed you’re always scared of losing due to ransoms and brutal odds”. How about just make killers not #########?
I understand what you're saying, but making people scared is a bit of a moving target. There's a lot of factors that go into it. Some have already mentioned a few like what creeps people out, becoming desensitized, etc.
Adding onto that, there are people who can walk straight through a house of horrors without twitching once. Then there's people who jump at shadows. It's impossible to find a medium between the two, since at that point it comes down to the basic psychology of a person. Personally, the worst it gets for me is going against trapper or hag because of the ridiculously loud noises their traps make that scares me. I hate sudden loud noises and jumpscares, but maybe not the Claudette with the purple flashlight that loops.
Tension, we can all agree, is always prominent in DBD. It does a fantastic job at giving us a wake up call, and it's probably the closest we'll get to having everyone thinking "Oh crap, better do these generators". I don't mind the current atmosphere of the game, I really like it actually. Creating a fearful experience, though? Pretty hard to do.
Looping is not runing away
YOu know something, DBD was fine before looping has become a "feature" and in fact its the old DBD I enjoyed more
id love to be scared and play inmmersed but... those bright neon clothes cant be used with stealth and im a superficial ######### so... it aint happening
Do you mind sending me a link of footage of 'old' Dead By Daylight? Because I'd seriously love to know what survivors did when caught besides running around a pallet.
No sorry, I didnt record my own gameplay, but maybe you can find sth on youtube.
Back in the days we juked the killer by using line of sight and basically disappearing, the tactic you have to use against nurse.