Self sacrificing to save camped teammate results in negative score for altruism

Huntress face camps and three of us are healthy so we all try to save. She gets pulled off hook but insta downed twice. I manage to heal her on the ground and she gets away but I get hooked and die. At the end of the game I have no emblem for altruism and lose a pip. Something wrong with this picture?

Comments

  • You're the kind of player a camper lives for.

  • Ok, lets make an example:

    You help a friend with his Car. You break something in the car while repairing it so that your friend needs to get a new part for the Car. You feel sorry and want to help again, resulting in breaking the new part as well.

    Do you think your friend would be happy about that? No.

    And its the same with the Emblem System. If you do an unsafe Unhook, you will get a Penalty for that. You are not helping at this point, so you dont get any reward.

  • Basically if you don't have Borrowed Time, you're forced to let the killer play like a boring dick and ruin the match for the hooked person, and really everyone because everyone else has to play m1 simulator

  • But it's a strategy so it's okay :)

  • I disagree Aven. We’re talking about a score group that rewards altruism aka self sacrifice. The survivor was not ruined like a car. A healed and/or escaped survivor is as good as new. And if I sacrificed myself to get that end result, that is the literal definition of altruism. My point is that the scoring system isn’t smart enough to realize the situation. If it WAS smart enough... or a better example... if we imagine a world where games are scored by humans, that play would result in a good altruism score because it took the situation into account. Perhaps there needs to be some sort of killer proximity variable involved in that scoring to improve it.

  • @RakimSockem said:

    Basically if you don't have Borrowed Time, you're forced to let the killer play like a boring dick and ruin the match for the hooked person, and really everyone because everyone else has to play m1 simulator

    Preach.

  • How is this self sacrificing?

  • Yeah, it's not really SELF-sacrifice when the person you're risking yourself for is the one who keeps going down.

  • @Nurgling7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1127477#Comment_1127477

    There is a camping penalty for killers, when there aren't Survivors swarming the hook looking to do an unsafe unhooking.

    The camping penalty is a joke, which is why camping is so effective and common. Best counter is do gens and hope the camped Survivor has Camaraderie lol I'll never forget The Cannibal that face camped me in the Basement and upstairs was a Generator that someone worked on while my timer was paused. Everyone escaped, I was glad to struggle until the last drop.

  • @Nicholas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1127507#Comment_1127507

    The camping penalty is a joke, which is why camping is so effective and common. Best counter is do gens and hope the camped Survivor has Camaraderie lol I'll never forget The Cannibal that face camped me in the Basement and upstairs was a Generator that someone worked on while my timer was paused. Everyone escaped, I was glad to struggle until the last drop.

    It's part of the reason I love to use Kindred. If the killer wants to camp me, they can be punished for it. Since its buff I can do the same.

  • @Dehitay said:

    How is this self sacrificing?

    Do I really have to explain this? I turned down my free escape to rescue her and died after healing her off the ground so she escaped. How is this NOT self-sacrificing? geez... seriously people...

  • The problem is they should rework the emblem when there is a scummy killer camping. The scummy killer is camping (for fun let's say there is only one gen left and you know it is being worked on so we can avoid "just do gens)." The timer is almost over...so it is either leave him to die or try a last ditch effort to save him. You unhook him, scummy killer downs him and you then get penalized for that? So I guess in this case the devs just want the other guy to die?

  • There's actually something wrong, which is the emblem system itself. The survivors have to save, or that hurts their benevolent emblem. In the described situaton, it's basically a catch 22. You're doomed if you do and if you don't.

    @Nicholas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1127507#Comment_1127507

    The camping penalty is a joke, which is why camping is so effective and common. Best counter is do gens and hope the camped Survivor has Camaraderie lol I'll never forget The Cannibal that face camped me in the Basement and upstairs was a Generator that someone worked on while my timer was paused. Everyone escaped, I was glad to struggle until the last drop.

    The penalty is indeed a joke, because even assuming that everybody plays super optimally without even wasting a second to get to the hooked survivor, which is unrealistic for solos, then it's very easy for the killer to get at the very least another kill. Even more if someone leaves gens and/or if there's noed.

    Camping does work, no ifs or buts. Penalties do nothing. There's a reason why the survivor meta is BT/DS.

  • @Impermanent said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1127567#Comment_1127567

    Do I really have to explain this? I turned down my free escape to rescue her and died after healing her off the ground so she escaped. How is this NOT self-sacrificing? geez... seriously people...

    Actually, you do have to explain it cause you never mentioned that you somehow managed to simultaneously get both yourself and the other person killed unhooking them right in front of the killer. Most of us are good enough to the point that unhooking in front of the killer during egc only results in only the unhooker or the unhooked going down with a garuntee that it won't be the unhooked if we use BT. The fact that you managed to get the both of you killed is completely unintuitive to anybody with regular game experience.