The Ruin change is great, but not on its own

Please remember this is just my opinion on this matter. But I do think a Ruin nerf, or even better, a rework, was needed. It was just too effective at low ranks, or even just any survivor players who can't hit great skill checks fairly often. It was just a perk that could be extremely powerful against any survivor team that isn't great at hitting skill checks, being too effective in most matches. I'm pretty sure that in many matches where killers won, Ruin was the biggest reason why that killer won the match.

The problem is that this change might be problematic in the current game's state. If the devs would have added some small second objective in the same patch, I guess this change would be great. We've still got dull totems in this game, that do nothing unless the killer is running NOED, why not use them in some form to add a second objective. A second objective shouldn't increase the objective time as much as old Ruin did in most matches, it should just add a bit more objective time. Maybe have each of them decrease generator repair speed a bit. Of course there would need to be other changes, like survivors having a totem counter, and them seeing the aura of dull totems when within a small range. Killers would also need to be able to see the aura of dull totems in order to be able to patrol them as well, otherwise survivors could just do totems first and then work on gens.

The biggest problem is that Ruin, the only proper perk that helped slow down the early game, is nerfed, yet many maps are still quite problematic, having an insane size that makes it impossible for most killers to apply enough map pressure, or having some ridiculously strong loops for survivors that killers have zero counterplay at. And the rate at which maps get reworked does not help this case at all. Farm maps for example can be quite the horror experience without Ruin.

Likewise, I fear that we will see much less of the weaker killers as well. They pretty much needed Ruin to have some kind of chance to win. I have no idea who would want to play Clown without Ruin on farm maps to be honest.

I haven't played this game for a bit, so I don't know for sure, but a month ago survivor queue times were longer than killer queue times, so I am also a little worried about survivor queue times becoming very long now.

There's one last point, and that's regarding the sound bug. Now I haven't played the ptb yet, but I didn't see any mention of the sound being fixed and killers actually being able to hear footsteps of running survivors again. Can anyone who has already played the ptb confirm whether the sound has improved or not? Because that's one point I'd be pretty upset about. I think it would be absolutely laughable if the devs still didn't fix the sound of the game yet.

Comments

  • " It was just too effective at low ranks, or even just any survivor players who can't hit great skill checks fairly often. It was just a perk that could be extremely powerful against any survivor team that isn't great at hitting skill checks, being too effective in most matches."

    I agree that it needed a change, but not for this reason. It needed something because many feel they NEED it, even if they actually don't, it makes things more comfortable and predictable. Changing it to make it so Survivors don't have to learn how to play, either by hitting skill checks or finding the totem, is not a good idea especially since it doesn't address the fact that, again, many players feel that they NEED it.

    "A second objective shouldn't increase the objective time as much as old Ruin did in most matches, it should just add a bit more objective time."

    It didn't really increase objective times by that much in most matches, it increased it by a bit but it wasn't as powerful as some of you are making it out to have been. It did make things more manageable and predictable in the early game though.

    "The biggest problem is that Ruin, the only proper perk that helped slow down the early game"

    PGTW and Corrupted Intervention still exist, and they are both proper slow down perks.

    I haven't played this game for a bit, so I don't know for sure, but a month ago survivor queue times were longer than killer queue times, so I am also a little worried about survivor queue times becoming very long now.

    Matchmaking was changed before Christmas break, they changed it so its basically a free-for-all.

    There's one last point, and that's regarding the sound bug. Now I haven't played the ptb yet, but I didn't see any mention of the sound being fixed and killers actually being able to hear footsteps of running survivors again.

    That's because they haven't fixed it yet. They haven't even acknowledged there is a Sound issue, again. Just like last time. And the sound issue involves more than just footsteps. The thing that is most frustrating about the Sound Issue stuff is that you will experience it every game, it is not a "sometimes it happens" bug. Its every match.

    I agree with everything else. Especially the statement about the Clown. Rip Mr. Weezey.

  • @GodDamn_Angela said:

    " It was just too effective at low ranks, or even just any survivor players who can't hit great skill checks fairly often. It was just a perk that could be extremely powerful against any survivor team that isn't great at hitting skill checks, being too effective in most matches."

    I agree that it needed a change, but not for this reason. It needed something because many feel they NEED it, even if they actually don't, it makes things more comfortable and predictable. Changing it to make it so Survivors don't have to learn how to play, either by hitting skill checks or finding the totem, is not a good idea especially since it doesn't address the fact that, again, many players feel that they NEED it.

    "A second objective shouldn't increase the objective time as much as old Ruin did in most matches, it should just add a bit more objective time."

    It didn't really increase objective times by that much in most matches, it increased it by a bit but it wasn't as powerful as some of you are making it out to have been. It did make things more manageable and predictable in the early game though.

    "The biggest problem is that Ruin, the only proper perk that helped slow down the early game"

    PGTW and Corrupted Intervention still exist, and they are both proper slow down perks.

    I haven't played this game for a bit, so I don't know for sure, but a month ago survivor queue times were longer than killer queue times, so I am also a little worried about survivor queue times becoming very long now.

    Matchmaking was changed before Christmas break, they changed it so its basically a free-for-all.

    There's one last point, and that's regarding the sound bug. Now I haven't played the ptb yet, but I didn't see any mention of the sound being fixed and killers actually being able to hear footsteps of running survivors again.

    That's because they haven't fixed it yet. They haven't even acknowledged there is a Sound issue, again. Just like last time. And the sound issue involves more than just footsteps. The thing that is most frustrating about the Sound Issue stuff is that you will experience it every game, it is not a "sometimes it happens" bug. Its every match.

    I agree with everything else. Especially the statement about the Clown. Rip Mr. Weezey.

    I still think the power Ruin had especially at lower ranks was too much. It could slow down games too much if players weren't good enough hitting great skill checks. My problem with Ruin has always been that it's balance varied from rank to rank.

    I do get the argument that it's simply something suvivors can learn and get better at. But I feel like hitting skill checks is a kind of skill that shouldn't be that important. It's definitely not a skill that is particularly fun to practice.

    But as you say, the problem is that some killers need old Ruin, and there's no compensation for Ruin's nerf. I do fear this will cause less killer variety at high ranks.

    I do think that Ruin did increase objective time by quite a bit against survivor teams that aren't that good at hitting skill checks. Of course, against really good survivor teams, Ruin wasn't as effective.

    Also, I meant that Ruin is the only perk to help slow down the early game. Though it's true Corrupt Intervention is also decent at that. The problem is that survivors can just hide until Corrupt Intervention deactivates, and then start working on gens, making it only reliable on certain killers. PGTW is really good, but it's better late game and doesn't help alot with the first 2 or 3 generators.

    I am very disappointed to see that the devs still haven't made any response to the sound bug. I've always defended the devs saying they are not biased towards any side, but this right here does not help my case at all. Ignoring a serious issue for killers for so long and still not addressing the issue in the next big patch is honestly a bit pathetic in my opinion.

  • @ad19970 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/984256#Comment_984256

    I still think the power Ruin had especially at lower ranks was too much. It could slow down games too much if players weren't good enough hitting great skill checks. My problem with Ruin has always been that it's balance varied from rank to rank.

    I do get the argument that it's simply something suvivors can learn and get better at. But I feel like hitting skill checks is a kind of skill that shouldn't be that important. It's definitely not a skill that is particularly fun to practice.

    But as you say, the problem is that some killers need old Ruin, and there's no compensation for Ruin's nerf. I do fear this will cause less killer variety at high ranks.

    I do think that Ruin did increase objective time by quite a bit against survivor teams that aren't that good at hitting skill checks. Of course, against really good survivor teams, Ruin wasn't as effective.

    Also, I meant that Ruin is the only perk to help slow down the early game. Though it's true Corrupt Intervention is also decent at that. The problem is that survivors can just hide until Corrupt Intervention deactivates, and then start working on gens, making it only reliable on certain killers. PGTW is really good, but it's better late game and doesn't help alot with the first 2 or 3 generators.

    I am very disappointed to see that the devs still haven't made any response to the sound bug. I've always defended the devs saying they are not biased towards any side, but this right here does not help my case at all. Ignoring a serious issue for killers for so long and still not addressing the issue in the next big patch is honestly a bit pathetic in my opinion.

    Oh. I misunderstood some of what you were saying. Thanks for clarifying.

    I agree with most of this. The rest I'll just agree to disagree because we look at the game differently when it comes to skill checks and less skilled players. 👍️

  • I like the Ruin rework a lot, and agree it needed to go at some point. Problem is, is that it'll highlight the issue of their very bad map design (which I think is the problem, not gen speed).

    But don't worry they're reworking 1 map every 5 years :)

  • @GodDamn_Angela said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/984457#Comment_984457

    Oh. I misunderstood some of what you were saying. Thanks for clarifying.

    I agree with most of this. The rest I'll just agree to disagree because we look at the game differently when it comes to skill checks and less skilled players. 👍️

    Oh ok good.

    Yes that's fair, everyone has different opinions.

  • @ASpazNamedSteve said:

    I like the Ruin rework a lot, and agree it needed to go at some point. Problem is, is that it'll highlight the issue of their very bad map design (which I think is the problem, not gen speed).

    But don't worry they're reworking 1 map every 5 years :)

    Yes, perfectly put. Honestly, with Ruin nerfed, I wouldn't mind a small second objective, but I do agree that it would probably not be needed if maps just got reworked properly and fairly. At a pace where we can actually expect most maps to be reworked soon enough. But now, we have to deal with a bunch of terrible maps, meanwhile Ruin has been nerfed. If most maps were reworked up until now, I'd be perfectly happy about this Ruin rework.

    Also, the Badham map received a good rework, but I still feel like there are a few too many safe pallets and loops on those maps. So I really hope with other maps we'll have even more loops that offer counterplay to both killer and survivor.

  • @ad19970 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/984470#Comment_984470

    Yes, perfectly put. Honestly, with Ruin nerfed, I wouldn't mind a small second objective, but I do agree that it would probably not be needed if maps just got reworked properly and fairly. At a pace where we can actually expect most maps to be reworked soon enough. But now, we have to deal with a bunch of terrible maps, meanwhile Ruin has been nerfed. If most maps were reworked up until now, I'd be perfectly happy about this Ruin rework.

    Also, the Badham map received a good rework, but I still feel like there are a few too many safe pallets and loops on those maps. So I really hope with other maps we'll have even more loops that offer counterplay to both killer and survivor.

    Which killers? Everyone that is not out of his mind and addicted to the game, will stop playing as killer. You will see the %-kill stats dropping and the que times go up up up for survivors.

  • I have completed quite a few generatore with 0 skill check popping up. The longest I've gone was 2.75 generators before the first skill check appeared and I found out there was ruin the whole time.


    I would much rather have a perk that gave consistent value than one that gives random value.


    A lot of killers don't seem to realise that skill check prompts appear randomly. It's almost like they have never played survivor at all.