Object of Obsession rework idea

Ok so most people understand how problematic Object of Obsession is as a perk. Firstly, it gives far too much information to a player who is also likely packing a huge chase/survivability build and just wants to taunt the killer all game with their presence. It screws over killers like Trapper and Hag whose traps are reveled to a survivor who can break them all game, and mobile killers who can be seen coming from miles away, as well as basically everyone else by giving the survivor a huge heads up. Additionally the perk is hugely troublesome for survivor with friends, as it allows one player to force the killer to tunnel them, or they direct their team to safe points on the map while the killer attempts to play around it. The perk simply has too much power in dictating the entire course of the match.

So in order to maintain that same nature of "You see me, but I see you," while keeping it much fairer, here's my idea for a completely reworked concept:


Object of Obsession:

When your aura is revealed to the killer, their aura is also revealed to you. While you are the obsession, the aura reading for both you and the killer lasts 30/40/50% longer.


This would allow survivors to determine which aura reading abilities the killer has. It would also allow them to counterplay killer aura reading by knowing exactly when they are revealed and when the effect ends.

As the Obsession it would maintain the nature of the killer seeing that you are gaining important information by leaving your aura exposed for longer. Granting both an increased insight for you, as well as a potential risk factor of being the obsession.

It would allow for better combination with perks like Distortion, allowing you multiple long instances of aura reading, as well as still working in tandem with Sole Survivor to eventually give you an outright advantage.

Comments

  • Sounds good on paper, but what if the Killer doesn't run any aura reading perks? This perk will become useless...

  • @AhoyWolf said:

    Sounds good on paper, but what if the Killer doesn't run any aura reading perks? This perk will become useless...

    BBQ and Nurses calling are more than popular enough to justify using it fairly often, plus you'll atleast know if they have certain perks or not

  • @AhoyWolf said:

    Sounds good on paper, but what if the Killer doesn't run any aura reading perks? This perk will become useless...

    I mean if the killer doesn't run aura reading then sole survivor and distortion are useless so it's not anything new.

  • With the release of Undetectable status buff to stealth killers, OoO has already been indirectly nerfed quite a bit. I think OoO was only truly a problem for stealth killers, as their abilities were essentially nullified by one perk. This is similar to how Small Game used to completely nullify the Trapper's traps (SG used to reveal the aura of traps when you're in range). With the Undetectable status, I feel OoO is less game breaking.

    I think the rework should be how the aura appears to OoO users. Make it such that you can see the killer, but not the EXACT action they are doing. This will help eliminate some information. Specifically if there killer is trapping or the like.

  • Did we just make the same thread about OoO being reworked at the same day? Wow.

    @DeKillerKiller said:

    So, I've recently came back from a week break from Dead by Daylight and the first couple of games I play I go up against Object of Obsession users (Most of them were SWF). It's fair to say that I was frustrated and I felt like I needed a longer break.

    But I digress, I decide to just turn my frustration into something more productive. I don't know how often the devs read the Feedback section of the forums but I'd like to add my two-cents regarding the Object of Obession perk.

    As it stands now, this is what Object of Obsession does:

    A supernatural bond links you to the Killer.

    If you are looking in the Killer's direction, your link will reveal your Auras to each other.

    This effect applies only if you are outside of the Killer's Terror Radius.

    As the Killer's Obsession, this effect applies to a maximum range of 56/64/72 metres. Otherwise, it applies to a maximum range of 44/56/64 metres.

    Increases your chances of being the Obsession.

    The Killer can only be obsessed with one Survivor at a time.

    However, I feel like that should be changed.

    As most of you are probably aware, OoO is a high risk, high reward perk that gives you information on the killer's location but also gives the location of yourself to the killer. This would normally be very high risk, high reward in a solo play scenario.

    Unfortunately, that's not at all how it works if the user is great at looping and is playing with friends. (And no, I'm not going to discourage anyone from playing with friends)

    When someone who plays with friends uses Object of Obsession and they're amazing at looper, the killer's whole movements and actions are basically on full display to everyone in the team. I think that should not at all be the case. One of the advantages killers have is the element of surprise during the start of the match. Killers like Trapper, Hag and Freddy can place traps at unassuming locations and catch survivors who happens to walk into their territory.

    Killers like Demogorgon sometimes relies on his portal network and that requires him to hide it in clever spots so survivors don't immediately find it after he teleports to them to activate it.

    Even Stealth Killers are unsafe from Object of Obsession, because while they do hide the aura. The perk will light up if the survivor is looking at the direction of the killer. Effectively rendering their stealth completely moot.

    So I suggest a change to Object of Obsession to make it still be a high risk, high reward perk even when playing with friends.

    A supernatural bond links you to the Killer.

    If you are looking in the Killer's direction, your link will reveal your Auras to each other.

    This effect applies only if you are outside of the Killer's Terror Radius. (Remove this requirement, it makes killers with small to no terror radius completely vulnerable.)

    As the Killer's Obsession, this effect applies to a maximum range of 44/56/64 metres. Otherwise, the perk will remain inactive.

    The perk will give a noise notification every 30/20/10 seconds if the Killer's aura cannot be read or if you are unable to read the auras of others (Blindness/Oblivious/Undetectable Effect)

    Increases your chances of being the Obsession.

    The Killer can only be obsessed with one Survivor at a time.

    Of course this may seem like a nerf, but this way the perk retains some of it's high risk and high reward usage for both Solo and people playing with friends. With how much of a detriment it is for the killer, it should also be risky for the survivors to bring.

    If the person who brought OoO is not the obsession, he needs to find a way to become the obsession to get it's full potential. Become the obsession through Decisive Strike, hope the killer has Furtive Chase/Nemesis. Basically make it a high risk to bring the perk in the first place for the amount of reward it brings to the trial.

    Object of Obsession is no doubt one of the strongest perks in the game if used correctly, and I feel like it's gone rather unnoticed as it is fairly rare to see people use it outside of high ranks.

    With this change, I hope this perk would see more wider use but still becomes a risk to bring it.

    Any further thoughts and opinions are appreciated, however I do ask for it to be civil as I am aware that some people think Object of Obsession is fine where it is. I personally disagree, but that's why I ask for people to stay civil with this discussion.