Archive item depletion challenges encourage toxicity
In Tome 2 we had “deplete medkits”. In Tome 3 we have “deplete Keys.” Challenges like this encourage what is, effectively, toxic, game ruining behavior. The medkit one was bugged to count ALL medkits used in a trial, not just yours, so if keys work like this too then maybe there’s hope, but even if it is...you’re effectively encouraging someone to take a key into a match, hold right click, let it die, and then go find the killer and suicide on hook. Even if all keys count, everyone uses their key and goes and lets the killer kill them and move on.
I understand you’re trying to come up with different kinds of challenges within the limited constraints of the game, and I do take issue with the super hard grind ones, but those aren’t inherently encouraging toxic behavior (ok maybe the blind killer ones but otherwise). Making a challenge around depleting items means the optimal strategy to achieving it is to make your games as quick as you possibly can, which hurts the experience for everyone else.
My solution? Let us work on multiple challenges at once. I don’t see a reason why we can’t have more branching paths where any node we’ve reached can be active at once. That way we work on keys while also be trying for the EGC safe unhooks. Encourages people to stick around and not just move on since there’s more progress to be made. Easy fix that would discourage the toxic efficiency behavior, so long as they had at least one other challenge available.
Comments
No they don't, lol.
I just got a SWF group to bring brown medkits so I can finish the challenge fast, I just healed everyone a lot and used 1 brown medkit, in no way does it encourage toxicity, in fact it promotes you to use your item up or even use an item.
I'm not using insta heals or anything of that sort, just using it as it should be, you're thinking negatively.
Make a TL;DR please, don't wanna read 3 paragraphs.
Again, there's no rush to complete the challenges, so throwing a match as soon as you've done part of an objective is silly and irrational, not "optimal". You're not getting a medal because you completed them before everyone else. Congrats on getting your ~15k BPs slightly faster and losing out on a whole lot more you could have gotten by just playing all those games you threw. And for what? Yeah, let's not play the game so you can hurry and complete this challenge so you can... play the same game...
The logic of “there’s no rush” becomes problematic for two reasons.
first and foremost, you’re correct: the archives are not going away, you theoretically have forever to do these. However, the main draw for most will be the bonus rift fragments. Those are only good for this rift. Which shortens the timeline dramatically and starts to highlight why I find these problematic.
Secondly, the devs have stated they want the rift to be finishable through an hour of play a day. While I feel that the current level of fragment gain is too low for that anyway, at the rate of one hour a day, 8 Keys = 8 Games, average game time + queue time + loading time = roughly 4 Keys an hour at most if you play the game after using your key. If you go suicide after using your key, you can get the challenge in an hour and be more rewarded fragment wise for it.
Don't listen to these yes-men that are coming. You're right, the challenge is just stupid, doesn't give anything to the game, and is made to throw games, which is exactly what I'm gonna do.