A Veteran Player's Perspective on the Exclusive Cosmetics
So by now I'm sure a lot of people have heard that a bunch of the old exclusive cosmetics are going to be released for free with the drop of Chapter 14. There have been quite a few outrage posts popping up so I just want to put it out there that this is actually a really good decision on BHVR's part. Good job guys!
I've been playing since late 2016. I've participated in every event and unlocked every event cosmetic except for the Fall Masquerade one (which possibly was the black mask for Huntress, but the Devs never confirmed if this was the piece as far as I am aware). Despite what some people are saying, earning the four event cosmetics that are being given out was pretty easy. You needed to complete 40 gens to get the Untamed Donkey Jacket and hook 80 survivors for The Hound. Sounds like a lot, but we basically had a month to do it. The gens took me like four days, and I was working eight hours a day at the time. Hooks took me about six days, but that's only because some people thought sabotaging event hooks was funny. Still had plenty of time left in the event after getting both items.
Scorching Summer was basically a reskin of Howling Grounds but easier, so what was said before applies to that as well. Getting the cosmetics was easy. There wasn't really any skill needed to get them; doing gens and getting hooks is just what we do in the game. If you didn't get the cosmetics, I'm guessing you either joined after the events or didn't have time to play during them. Them getting released now doesn't feel like a slap in the face at all. If we had them, we had them. They didn't take that much effort to get and we got to play with them for several years. Now more people get to enjoy them and look awesome. Plus, some of us actually lost these cosmetics because of some bugs. I thankfully never lost mine, but I would always panic when every few updates there would be a thread talking about the cosmetics disappearing. Now the people who lost them get them back, and we don't have to worry about them fading from existence. Hooray!
I will admit that I never went to any of the conventions and thus, never got the convention exclusives. I was happy with the recolors from the first anniversary event (side note: those cosmetics should probably be event rarity since we did have community challenges to earn them). I am happy that I will be able to have the real deal now, but I do feel for those people who spent like $1,000 for the Golden Feng skin. It sucks when people decide to sell things for much more than an item is worth, but this is why those skins are also getting released. Sellers shouldn't be profiting hundreds of dollars off of something that they got for free. Something should have been done sooner so that these sellers (who sometimes didn't even have the codes and were just taking money from people) were stopped, but we should be glad that this is happening now rather than later. Some people say they should have cancelled the remaining Steam codes, but as stated above some of the sellers never had codes to begin with and still were getting paid.
This is getting a bit too long, so I will be fast with some final thoughts. The way we get event cosmetics has changed, so they won't be giving out future event items for free and the point in participating in events IS to get those for free. Legacy actually took a lot of effort to get, so comparing them to the event cosmetics doesn't actually work. The only people who should be getting Legacy are the people who lost them, since they actually went through a lot for those pieces. Hopefully BHVR will find out how to find all of those players sometime soon. As for the exclusives they aren't giving out, it was said in another post that they would have to talk to companies they had contracts with in order to release them for everybody. The only one they could do again is Bloodletting, which if they go with that should just be Merch Store Promotion 2: Electric Boogaloo. Finally, being mad that someone is getting something just because you want to be the only one who has it is childish.
And with that, I'll shut up.
Comments
Thank you.
I've read through the posts and i've also been playing since late 2016. My thoughts are similar and i am pretty sure everyone upset and pissed about all of them being free is because they actually paid for them from some sketchy seller.
Replying so more people read this, it voices my opinion on the matter better than I could have. Seeing the amount of people getting upset is super funny to me, even though I have most of the stuff being made free. They act like it’s a slap in the face and “ruining the game” but I’m pretty sure that’s just cuz they spent money on it. Idk this whole situation is pretty dumb, it’s an overall positive edition that should be getting more props than what it’s getting right now.
Didn't spend a penny on my event cosmetics, so miss me with that strawman.
Maybe try some empathy?
I'm glad every platform is getting these cosmetics it's fair for console and switch
I'm on xbox and already had the event skins
it's fair for switch a platform that obviously didn't have the chance for it
You're using fair wrong
Not a veteran but been playing for a while.
I've earned some cosmetics, paid for others... never once have I cared about exclusives.
whether I earn an exclusive, buy and exclusive, or miss out on an exclusive... it's all irrelevant to me. (in this game or any other)
this new release adds variety for more players and gets console (which is mostly what I play on) caught up to PC.
I am grateful for this, whether I plan to use any of it or not... people need to stop whining over every little thing the devs do and enjoy the game for what it is.
the devs make mistakes, many of which I have called them out on, but this decision is a good one in my eyes... sorry to the people who have gotten butthurt, but it's not your property to make decisions about.. it's the devs decision.
Nobody spent money on the event cosmetics? They didn't start selling them until Hallowed Blight, I believe. Long after the four cosmetics in question.
For those that spent money on convention exclusives, it really does suck. The situation should have been settled sooner so that there would be less people paying hundreds for a code that may or may not exist, but at least it is being settled now. Better late than never.
Technically he's not, fair means equal treatment for everyone. Justice means giving people what they deserve, which I assume is what you're thinking of.
So it's fair to give out cosmetics for free to people who didn't earn them, thus placing them on a level with those who did, but it's not just.
In another MMO I play, the developers decided to give every subscribing player exclusive companions that were only available for a limited time window. Same thing happened, players got upset...but it did mean newer players were finally able to complete certain missions that had been denied to them as they started playing after the applicable time window.
I do understand the developers perspective to avoid players paying a third party way too much real money for a cosmetic.
This x1000. Thanks for this post :)