Object of Obsession should not exist.

I want to make this clear that I'm not posting this out of frustration, anger or any sort of negative emotions. I sometimes use OoO myself for the memes. What I will say however is that Object of Obsession shouldn't exist because it's a perk that in my opinion, is the most powerful perk in the game especially in a Survive With Friends group. And since I know some people on this forum likes to use this as an argument: "It's annoying and not fun to go up against."

OoO basically disallows the killer from doing any mindgames of any kind during a loop, or robs them from being able to do any setup if they're playing a killer like Trapper or Hag, or gives your teammates information on where the Killer is at every moment especially if you are in an SWF group. Whenever I play as killer and I see an OoO group, I roll my eyes, thank God I am going to get a depip (Because I hate Red Ranks and this is one of the reasons why), and resolved myself to just be the biggest toxic piece of ######### to the person who uses it.

No killer, not even amazing ones, likes to feel powerless in a situation. Especially since they're the supposed "Power Role". And this perk can make some killers powerless.

This perk is one of the reasons why I sometimes doubt BHVR's ability to balance this game properly, as it's often used to cheese games to the point where they're not even challenging anymore. Just plain annoying.

I know that's how some people felt with Spirit, well this is how I personally feel with Object of Obsession.

I think Decisive Strike, Dead Hard, Adrenaline, Borrowed Time or whatever meta perks Survivors run nowadays have counters. Some are more obvious than others. DS you wait for 60 seconds, DH you wait for them to use it them whack them over the head with it, Adrenaline you gotta pressure gens, and BT you gotta hide your Terror Radius.

What's the counter to Object other than to tunnel the obsession? And even so, why is there a perk that encourages this sort of behaviour? It's one of the reasons I disliked old Dying Light. No one wants to just chase one person or be the only one chased (unless you're using OoO to give your teammates information, which in my opinion is a perk that should never exist. Information is valuable and knowing where the killer is at at all times makes this perk incredibly broken)

I hope to God I'm not the only one who feels this way, because Object is the one perk (probably the only perk) I wish that is just completely reworked or removed from the game.

Even as a survivor if I notice someone else is in a 2 man or a 3 man using Object of Obsession, I will purposefully kill myself because I know how it feels as a killer. It's frustrating and you feel completely helpless in that situation. It's sometimes not even your skill that is at fault. But you begin to doubt yourself regardless.

Oh boy, I think that's my rant done. I did say I wasn't angry or frustrated, but I guess the more I talked about it the more I realize how utterly bullshit this perk can be.

Please keep discussion civil, as I know some people are pretty heated already because of the whole Spirit issue.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments


  • @Rezblaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1125731#Comment_1125731

    I don't FEEL like it shouldn't have an addon or Perk requirement to counter.

    It just SHOULDN'T.

    Perks are meant, as stated by @Peanits, to exhibit a particular playstyle.

    If running a perk to counter another broken mechanic is our idea of counters, then it runs directly contrary to what was stated the intention of perks are. If a killer or survivor for that matter had to account for every mechanic and issue they MIGHT come across, then perks are no longer there to express a particular playstyle. Instead they're there to act as a pretend fix.

    OoO is not a basic mechanic of the game. It isn't standard aura reading that I can play around or that I can bite the bullet of in favor of, say, anti-healing, or actually making a build based on what I want to play around. OoO has constant aura reading feedback no downside or requirements. The implied downside is that the Killer can see you, but there isn't a team of killers who gets relayed that information.

    Fixing the OoO breaking stealth killers was only part of the problem. Pretending like it actually fixed anything is hilarious to me; the only way its fixed is if its removed from the game or completely reworked.

    "If running a perk to counter another broken mechanic is our idea of counters, then it runs directly contrary to what was stated the intention of perks are. If a killer or survivor for that matter had to account for every mechanic and issue they MIGHT come across, then perks are no longer there to express a particular playstyle. Instead they're there to act as a pretend fix."

    While I do agree with this conceptually, I also heavily disagree with it practically. Why?

    Slugging is currently only countered by no mither and unbreakable. Its a broken killer mechanic and the only way to counter it, is to run a perk. If we apply this to ingame matters, then survivors should be able to pick themselves up regardless of perks.

    (semi-)Camping and survivor tunneling is only really countered by Borrowed Time and Decisive Strike(wiggling included on DS, since wiggling is a fairly useless mechanic for survivors). Those are 2 perks that are used against a relatively broken killer mechanic, because there is no other way to counter it. So should survivors gain a moment of immunity when unhooked in the killer's radius regardless of Borrowed Time? Should they get a free decisive strike if they are downed within 1 minute after being unhooked regardless? I mean, if you fully agree to this being basic game mechanics, then sure, im all up for nerfing OoO.

    Killers are already complaining on how "broken" unbreakable, borrowed time and decisive strike are. Yet they are literally perks used to counter game mechanics. So if you shouldnt need a perk or addon to counter OoO, then survivors shouldnt need those perks to counter killer mechanics.

    But im fairly certain you're gonna disagree with me there.

  • Devs: We noticed that Object was OP against stealth Killers because it gave SWF extreme awareness of them at all times so we added Undetectable as a band-aid fix that also nerfed all the low-tier aura Perks Survivors have.

    Every other Killer in existence that suffers from the exact same issue with Object:

    image.jpeg


1 2 ›