Chainsaw Nerfs/Reworks?

After playing this game for about a year now, I've come to have a deep disliking of the Hillbilly and Leatherface. I'm not saying that their lore, character design or anything like that is a problem, but having a built in one-shot with virtually zero requirements feels cheap and unrewarding.

Other killers such as Michael Myers and Ghostface have to actually work for their Exposure effects, which while annoying, I feel as though I could have prevented in some way.

Even perks like Haunted Ground or Devour Hope have general counter play (outside of being HEX perks......)

I do like the idea of the mobility and the AoE effects of the chainsaw killers, but it might be worth considering removing these or making them ultra rare add-ons.


I do NOT wish for this to become a discussion of rank/skill, especially when you can do this from point blank range and depending on add-ons, basically instantly. Let's just keep this as a healthy discussion about why we "need" one-shotting base killers.

Comments

  • Chainsaw is quite difficult for both the Hillbilly and Leatherface to land. If you take away their insta-down, their powers would be next to worthless. When Hillbilly or Leatherface is charging his chainsaw, all you have to do is put a wall between you and them. There's a lot of situations where a Hillbilly/Leatherface could land a hit on you with an M1, but not with their chainsaw.

    It's a slow, highly telegraphed move, and as soon as you hear the sound of a chainsaw or see the killer for the first time, you immediately know to watch out for it. Seems like it has plenty of counterplay to me.

  • Chainsaws for both are skill based. Billy's can be juked and you can force Leatherface to be an M1 killer for most of the game if you hug walls.

    I think @Monlyth explains it for you best. It's easy to see, makes a lot of noise, and can be avoided through your actions.

    Again, I'm stressing this: If you're out in the open against a Billy or Bubba, it's most likely your fault for being out of position against a one hit down when it's actually pretty easy to avoid that situation.

  • @Monlyth said:

    Chainsaw is quite difficult for both the Hillbilly and Leatherface to land. If you take away their insta-down, their powers would be next to worthless. When Hillbilly or Leatherface is charging his chainsaw, all you have to do is put a wall between you and them. There's a lot of situations where a Hillbilly/Leatherface could land a hit on you with an M1, but not with their chainsaw.

    It's a slow, highly telegraphed move, and as soon as you hear the sound of a chainsaw or see the killer for the first time, you immediately know to watch out for it. Seems like it has plenty of counterplay to me.

    Maybe it's because I've versed heaps of lower rank killers, and I play on console, but it seems like most of them wait until their in basic attack range before charging. And I've tried getting walls in the way, but that doesn't work. Especially against Leatherface, or rather, to the side at least.

    Plus, with the amount of Increase Charge add-ons, the whole "slow and telegraphed" point does get muted a little bit. Especially with the availability of these add-ons.

  • Really, are you asking for bubba nerfs?

    No offense but what rank are you?

    Bubba is one of the worst killers and billy is strong but he is balanced and loopable

    You can't balance killers around yellow ranks but red ranks

  • Letherface is weak even with his chainsaw so I wouldn't really touch him. Billy however can be pretty oppressive if he snowballs. Especially with charge speed and steering add-ons he can be really nasty pretty easily.

    The problem is he is a sort of necessary evil in the current state of the game because of how strong survivors are. One-shots are always going to be annoying, especially when you have someone like Billy who can just sorta spam it. If they wanted to change him they would need to either give his chainsaw a bigger miss penalty, give it a cooldown, or change his add-ons. But as of now he can still be decently looped unless the map screws you.

  • If you think about it, there a different advantages and disadvantages with the two chainsaw killers when it comes down to platforms. On PC you can have set key binds that can help you control your chainsaw (Example being Monto).

    But then on PlayStation (I wouldn't know about Xbox because I don't have one, and have never used one) we don't have the option of having key binds, we just have two joysticks that control where we look, and the other to control our movement.

    It just depends on what your playing on and how well you know the killers on that specific device. Because you do grow Acustomed to what ever platform your playing on, for example, I'm used to the killers hit boxes and vault speeds/pallets on PS4.

    In my opinion I feel like they don't just have that "one-shot" weapon (Unlike Huntress with her hatchets, Myers, and Ghost face) they don't really need to put any actual effort in to get a down, it really just come down to practice and what platform you play on.

  • @Rin_is_my_waifu said:

    Really, are you asking for bubba nerfs?

    No offense but what rank are you?

    Bubba is one of the worst killers and billy is strong but he is balanced and loopable

    You can't balance killers around yellow ranks but red ranks

    Well, I did say that this shouldn't become a question of rank, but rank 9 on Xbox. Mainly because I've devoted more time to killer lately, and Survivor outside of SWF has been lackluster.

    And the amount of times I've been caught on a piece of terrain that Bubba ignores is inexcusable.