The Doctor's Madness doesn't feel threatening at Level 2
I just read that the devs are thinking about making changes to the Doctor, so I thought I'd share my thoughts as a Doctor main.
From my point of view, a major issue with his kit is that without add-ons, your Madness really doesn't do much to debilitate survivors until they've hit Level 3. Most of the negative effects at Madness Level 2 are easily ignored by experienced survivors. Without any add-ons, the Hallucinations don't really do anything at level 2 unless the survivor is trying to hide while the killer is just a few feet away, and while the randomized skill-checks can sometimes cause survivors to miss them, experienced survivors can easily overcome this.
I think a good way to make Madness Level 2 more of a threat is to add a penalty to action speeds. Just a 10-15% penalty to heal, repair and sabotage speeds while you're at Madness Level 2. Nothing too fancy or game-breaking, just enough to make the survivors' life a little more difficult if they're trying to accomplish objectives while the Doctor is building Madness on them.
Comments
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
I want Doctor Illusions that lunge at (With no damage) And follow survivors.
This way they are much more scared and paranoid.
Well, I think experienced survivors would quickly learn the difference between Hallucinations and the real Doctor. I just think if he needs a buff, Madness Level 2 would be a good place to buff him.
Or they could possibly buff Shock Therapy. Either reduce the charge time, increase the baseline range, or increase the duration of the debuff that prevents pallet/window usage.
I am curious how they could tell.
Well, I think the hallucinations would probably move in inhuman ways, and appear abruptly in front of the survivor instead of gradually hearing the terror radius closing in.
I've played a lot of games with abilities that allow you to create illusions. If the player can't control the illusions directly, it's almost impossible for an AI-controlled illusion to accurately mimic the player's movements.
Yeah but sudden lunge from around a corner with TR would be nice.
Maybe, but even if it's possible for the devs from a technical perspective, I think experienced survivors would eventually learn to tell the difference. I'd like to see a buff that makes the Doctor stronger overall at the higher skill levels. If the devs can come up with an interesting change that also accomplishes this goal without breaking the Doctor's playstyle, then that'd be nice, but I'd also be happy with something like the change I proposed in my OP.
You sound like me and Legion reworks! Good! I'm happy to see you raising a flag for your favorite!