What is causing the extreme variances in server experience?

For my friends and I, the servers seem fine and have improved our gaming experience (both killer and survivor).

Other people are claiming the exact opposite.

What's the cause for this extreme polarization of experiences?

There has to be some unknown factor if it works fine for some, but not for others.

Comments

  • i think the problem is people playing on yellow ping

    cause my ping is green around 50-60 and it feels like normal

  • Location or bad net probably.

  • Location for the most part. Before you was connected to people near you, now you must go through a server. And if there isn't a server near you, then it ups the distance/ping/lag.

    @not_Queen said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/002/U7DBMY23W4L8.png

    A little under a year ago, we announced that we would be bringing dedicated servers to Dead by Daylight in Summer 2019. Since then, our team has been hard at work converting the game from the existing peer to peer system. There has been a lot of discussion surrounding dedicated servers recently, so we would like to address questions or concerns you may have in this post. 

    Release Timeframe 

    We have recently tested dedicated servers during the 3.2.0 PTB. After a few rounds of changes, we already could see drastic improvements on average ping which translated into better general feedback. From the survey results and community feedback, we identified two main issues that were putting the release at risk: 

    Projectile interaction (The Huntress, The Plague, The Clown)

    • Delay on throw 
    • Hit registration 

    Interaction bugs

    • Some instances of missed attacks 
    • Multiple hits on one action (i.e.: The Huntress hatchets hitting multiple survivors) 
    • Trapper placing 2 traps instead of 1 
    • Infinite blinds 
    • Delays on interaction with objects

    After reviewing the feedback collected and making several changes, we have decided that it is best to push back the planned release. Our new goal is to release dedicated servers on all platforms during Fall 2019. We know this delay is disappointing, but we feel it’s best to take the additional time to polish the experience and iron out a few issues. 

    Next steps 

    1. Projectile interaction improvement  
    2. Interactions: bug fixing 
    3. Steam live tests  

    We will communicate about our mid-term plan as we get closer to the Steam live test in October. With the fixes of our two main issues, we will be ready to test on the live environment right away. Testing on the live environment will allow us to gather more feedback and data. To streamline the process, the tests will be exclusively on PC. These testing phases will be communicated thoroughly and can be reverted if needed. 

    Server Locations 

    We have settled on the following locations for servers when we initially launch dedicated servers: 

    • Asia: Singapore  
    • Asia: Tokyo 
    • Australia: Sydney 
    • Europe: Frankfurt 
    • Europe: London 
    • South America: Sao Paulo 
    • North America: North Virginia 
    • North America: Oregon 
    • Periodically enabling additional regions to test the impact on match quality 

    We believe that these locations should provide optimal coverage for most regions. If none of these locations are near you, you will still be able to play the game and have the same experience as before.  

    What to Expect on Release 

    Although expectations are high, we do need to reiterate that this is the first step of many. Dedicated servers open many new possibilities that were previously impossible through our old system. Though there will be some immediate benefits, other new features will take time to implement. 

    This initial release of dedicated servers focuses on infrastructure; we want to make sure that the foundation is solid before we can expand with new features. By connecting to the nearest data center, your connection will be more consistent from one match to another, and generally more stable than connecting directly to other players. Since all players are connected to a server rather than each other, we will be able to better identify disconnections, allowing us to be stricter on users who disconnect excessively. As a Survivor, your movement and interactions will be based on the server rather than the Killer, reducing some instances of jittering and delay when the Killer has a weak connection. For example, camera jittering while using Dead Hard, or a delay while trying to unhook another Survivor. 

    The Future for Dedicated Servers 

    With the groundwork set, we will be able to take full advantage of dedicated servers with new features and changes behind the scenes. One such feature we would like to implement following the release of dedicated servers is the previously mentioned disconnection handling system. We would also like to expand on hit authority (i.e. who gets the final say when a player has a poor connection), which would allow us to make finer adjustments to ensure that hits feel as fair as possible. We cannot provide an ETA at this time for when these changes will go live, but as always, we will be sure to keep you posted once we have more info to share.  

    Although migrating to dedicated servers is a large task, we are confident that the benefits they will provide will improve the game in both the short and long term. We will keep you updated on our progress as soon as we have new information to share, and we look forward to getting servers into your hands as soon as possible. 


    That is the only list I found of where dedicated servers are located. Using the US as an example. Say you live in Ohio, in P2P you would be connected with other people from Ohio or who ever was closet to you. But with being forced to use a dedicated server the nearest server is in Virginia, 2 states away, and so is everyone else.

    It makes for worse pings in general as you must connect over longer distances. And as Killer and Survivor now need their own ping and both must be used for interactions between 2 people, the lag adds up rather fast. Very fast.

    Before in P2P you could play with your neighbor easy with little to no lag at al. But now with a server you will have a fair amount of lag connecting with the exact same people.


    If you happen to be close to a server, the game should be fine. But if aren't close to a server. You're gameplay is going to suffer.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I know I said I was done with the community, and I am.... But I thought I would give you the obvious answer.

    They have crappy internet connections and probably also play using WiFi. They have done well in the past because as host they have reaped the benefits of their bad connections, but now their bad connections hurt only themselves, dedicated servers are doing exactly what they are meant to do, and it's a great thing.

    Thank you for coming back to voice your thoughts on the matter :3

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I know I said I was done with the community, and I am.... But I thought I would give you the obvious answer.

    They have crappy internet connections and probably also play using WiFi. They have done well in the past because as host they have reaped the benefits of their bad connections, but now their bad connections hurt only themselves, dedicated servers are doing exactly what they are meant to do, and it's a great thing.

    I wouldn't say that dedicated servers are meant to prevent people from being able to properly play the game.

  • Internet maybe?

    I am east coast, U.S., and have top-of-the-line internet, and thus far haven't had an issue during the Dedicated Server live test.

    Well, I did have one issue last night where it took me three mouse clicks to get my M1 strike to go off, but that only happened once, in my first match of the night. After that, everything was smooth for me.

  • @Kilmeran said:

    Internet maybe?

    I am east coast, U.S., and have top-of-the-line internet, and thus far haven't had an issue during the Dedicated Server live test.

    Well, I did have one issue last night where it took me three mouse clicks to get my M1 strike to go off, but that only happened once, in my first match of the night. After that, everything was smooth for me.

    I'm on an island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, bouncing between several servers at various times, I'm pretty sure.

    I haven't had any noticeable issues, either.

  • I suspect it's location, I made a poll to try and work out whether it's a location thing but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped because people just started complaining about the servers, not even mentioning the location thing. :/

    But if you're interested and/or would like to contribute your 2 cents, it's here:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/92934/are-dedicated-servers-working-for-you#latest

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/736710#Comment_736710

    People with bad internet connections trying to play as the killer are people not properly playing the game, the dedicated servers give them a taste of their own medicine for once instead of giving them insanely easy wins. And anyone complaining about the dedicated servers has probably been boarder line cheating for a long ng time now.

    This statement is false. My cousin also plays, he has AMAZING internet. Absolute garbage connection to the servers.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/737549#Comment_737549

    I can when the want to host a PvP game.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/737608#Comment_737608

    I highly doubt this. EVERYTHING I have seen indicates that if you are having trouble with the dedicated servers the issue is in your setup. Be it internal or external networking or substandard gaming hardware. That or they live in a region way outside of the server areas, and in that case things should revert back to the old method.

    He lives in West Virginia, fairly close. He has Spectrum, very good internet. Decent computer.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/737676#Comment_737676

    LOL!!!!! I have Spectrum, and I can assure you that it is NOT good internet, why do you think New York threatened to kick them out of the state?

    Also, have him change his DNS provider to Google and try again. It improved my connection like you couldn't believe.

    From what I know, he has the same package that I do. My upload speed is 110 and download is 50ish.