This is why my friend won't play DbD

As I saw, devs watch us, and listen us, they fixed the hair graphics in low preset as I requested and a lot of people voted up. I'm surprised they fixed this in less than a week and I'm very thankful. Now, I want to show more feedback, this time, I'll take the word of my friend.

I've been playing DbD alone more than my first year, then I started to add people thanks to discord, and people which I sometimes still swf. I always wanted to play and talk with my irl friends, I even bought DbD with myers's DLC for someone's birthday, but he just played once. It's now almost 2 years I started, and last week I managed to make one get interested into it because he watched me in twitch. Luckily, the free weekend was coming, so I told him to install it and play together.

Friday

He had time to play in the afternoon, game was already installed and was working, he even did the tutorials. I wanted to show him the basics in a kyf match but we got the same error all the time, our versions weren't the same and we couldn't get in the same party. After several time trying things I had to come to the servers, then, minutes later, a dev answers, he had to verify the game files, and after that he had to download several GB of content again. We had to leave the matches for next day.

Saturday

We finally could fix the issue, we had the kyf match, it took me 20 minutes to explain him every single thing, including mechanics, loops, hooks, hatch, shack,...

We decided to rock some public matches.

Match number 1: rank 14 nurse. (I supose the context is already easy to guess).

Match number 2: rank 15 leatherface. It was going good at the begin, but then the killer started to slug us and at the end my friend was the only one who died because of noed and it was his first hook.

Match number 3: rank 14 doctor. I never had such as this kind of toxic doctor, who made the match last for 20 MINUTES and I'm talking about real time. His build was iridiscent king and more electric range, with unerving presence, overcharge, barbecue and the one to make the terror radius a lot bigger plus the jigsaw piece offering. The match lasted for all that only because the killer wanted to. He was acting so strange and while he was getting people down, he left them to go back to some gens to aply overcharge. After that he proceeded to hook sometimes. The match was a complete mess and my friend couldn't complete all the skillchecks to get out of madness most of the time. He couldn't play. When there were just me and another guy I decided to suicide to give him the hatch, because the match already lasted 15 minutes, but then the killer just slugged me and camped me, he also found the hatch as then me ad the other survivor did. After slugging us several times changing the slugged survivor he slugged our two, waited the other guy to bleed out and then take and hook me. He even acted very toxic at the chat.

The morning ended, and my friend had stuff to do irl, so the games would continue next day

Sunday

Me: hey, did you already buy DbD? It's in offer and your birthday is soon, so I though about buying it with some DLCs to you.

My friend: don't ever ask me to play that game again.


Looks like I'll never bring anyone to join this game.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @Angelicus23 said:

    As I saw, devs watch us, and listen us, they fixed the hair graphics in low preset as I requested and a lot of people voted up. I'm surprised they fixed this in less than a week and I'm very thankful. Now, I want to show more feedback, this time, I'll take the word of my friend.

    I've been playing DbD alone more than my first year, then I started to add people thanks to discord, and people which I sometimes still swf. I always wanted to play and talk with my irl friends, I even bought DbD with myers's DLC for someone's birthday, but he just played once. It's now almost 2 years I started, and last week I managed to make one get interested into it because he watched me in twitch. Luckily, the free weekend was coming, so I told him to install it and play together.

    Friday

    He had time to play in the afternoon, game was already installed and was working, he even did the tutorials. I wanted to show him the basics in a kyf match but we got the same error all the time, our versions weren't the same and we couldn't get in the same party. After several time trying things I had to come to the servers, then, minutes later, a dev answers, he had to verify the game files, and after that he had to download several GB of content again. We had to leave the matches for next day.

    Saturday

    We finally could fix the issue, we had the kyf match, it took me 20 minutes to explain him every single thing, including mechanics, loops, hooks, hatch, shack,...

    We decided to rock some public matches.

    Match number 1: rank 14 nurse. (I supose the context is already easy to guess).

    Match number 2: rank 15 leatherface. It was going good at the begin, but then the killer started to slug us and at the end my friend was the only one who died because of noed and it was his first hook.

    Match number 3: rank 14 doctor. I never had such as this kind of toxic doctor, who made the match last for 20 MINUTES and I'm talking about real time. His build was iridiscent king and more electric range, with unerving presence, overcharge, barbecue and the one to make the terror radius a lot bigger plus the jigsaw piece offering. The match lasted for all that only because the killer wanted to. He was acting so strange and while he was getting people down, he left them to go back to some gens to aply overcharge. After that he proceeded to hook sometimes. The match was a complete mess and my friend couldn't complete all the skillchecks to get out of madness most of the time. He couldn't play. When there were just me and another guy I decided to suicide to give him the hatch, because the match already lasted 15 minutes, but then the killer just slugged me and camped me, he also found the hatch as then me ad the other survivor did. After slugging us several times changing the slugged survivor he slugged our two, waited the other guy to bleed out and then take and hook me. He even acted very toxic at the chat.

    The morning ended, and my friend had stuff to do irl, so the games would continue next day

    Sunday

    Me: hey, did you already buy DbD? It's in offer and your birthday is soon, so I though about buying it with some DLCs to you.

    My friend: don't ever ask me to play that game again.

    Looks like I'll never bring anyone to join this game.

    Well, I understand where you are coming from man...

    1. This Game is absolutely not beginner friendly, and unfortunately it is NOT a "Casual" player's game either.. this narrows down the target audience quite drastically. The reason I say this is because any player that would like to start out as a true beginner will be at a HUGE disadvantage without 4 (Good) Perks either as Survivor or Killer, especially because a lot of the best perks are locked behind DLC content you have to pay for.. basically if you want to actually be able to enjoy playing this game at all you have to be willing to put forth the many hours it takes to unlock a bunch of "meta" perks and level a ton of characters, only to be stuck with the RNG of the Bloodweb..
    2. I've also tried my best to get my RL friends to join me in DBD, I've even managed to get like 4 of them to BUY the game, but they NEVER play, because they simply can't enjoy themselves.. when they try Killer all 4 survivors escape because even at Rank 20 a bunch of survivors have meta perks, and visa versa if they play Survivor they get tunneled by the Killer because they are easy targets and its so easy to tell that they don't really know how to hide/escape so they're usually first to die.. even if I play with them and voice comm try to help its very rare that they manage to escape with me..
    3. The game itself has an extremely high skill cap, I've met people with over 2000+ hours played who still say that they consider themselves nothing compared to a few other players that they have met, and yet I consider myself nothing compared to them at 300+ hours played.. that is a lot of hours to play something and barely even be considered "decent" or mid-range.
    4. OMG DUDE I MIGHT have faced the same Doctor you are referring to recently, I'm not sure if this is just something people saw and are copying or what, but I keep getting these annoying Doctor's playing on the NEW map with MAX Terror Radius (like above and beyond) + overcharge + unnerving presence so basically no matter where you are on the new Map you are under his Terror Radius, I swear, and they DON'T even play the game.. they just run up and down the hallway, literally, kicking gens and spamming shock, there was one the other day that actually held the game hostage for literally about 45min or so.. he slugged a few of us here and there, but he NEVER even bothered to hook, and he spent the entire game rapidly running back and forth between 3 gens in the hallway constantly kicking them, he would 100% ignore me even if I was right beside the gen and just go back to the other one and repeat.. it was actually quite impossible to win and eventually I got lucky and one of my teammates had a key and we found the hatch and just escaped the hell out of there, but I think there's a chance if we didn't escape no matter what we would have tried to do the game would have never ended because he literally never bothered to attack or chase anyone all game long.. the only time he would even hit you / slug you was if you literally stood right ontop of a gen. Then today I just had another similar experience, I can't help but feel like Doctor can really hold this new map hostage if he wants to.. but the annoying thing is they aren't even trying to win they are just having fun wasting everyone's time.. Hope I don't face that again anytime soon!

    Anyways, bottom line, I REALLY WISH I COULD PLAY THIS GAME WITH MY RL FRIENDS... but I don't think it's ever going to happen haha so might as well give up, make new friends.

  • @ABannedCat said:

    To OP:

    I suggest your friend to play some killer. Not only is it better to not being immediatly turned into a survivor main by SWF, but killer is also way more chill at low ranks. Sure you will sometimes encounter derankers who demolish low ranks, but thats rather rare at brown ranks, and gets more common at green ranks.

    Playing killer drastically improves your survivor gameplay. You learn about scratchmarks, you learn about what the killer can hear and what not. You learn about gen-placement, about the priorities of killers, their movement, their thoughts. But most importantly, you see how other survivors move. You see how they loop, you see how they do gens, you see how they path after they have done something, you see their perks, and how they affect the killer.

    This is something I keep telling my friends who bought DBD and refuse to play, but they just don't want to play the game "by themselves" .. sigh

  • @Mochan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/707489#Comment_707489

    The slug tactic is a headache, what's annoying is that whenever I remove Bond or Unbreakable or even No Mither that's when I run into a killer who wants to slug.

    But with slug tactic you mean when a killer tries to slug all right? Not just one or two survivors to gain map pressure in rare situations. Then I agree. I once went against a Nurse who slugged everyone, it was awful, even more since it was done by an overpowered killer. It would be nice if something could be done about such strategies that are so annoying to deal with.

    I'm surprised OP didn't mention a match where his friend got camped. I feel like that's the number 1 reason why people would leave the game after trying it out. Who the hell wants to play some more DBD if they get camped multiple times in a row?

  • @Wuhelm said:

    Sounds typical for a lot of new players. Dbd is known to have the worst community in gaming after all.

    That is the most naive statement I have ever read.

    Call of Duty

    Soulsborne

    League of Legends

    Overwatch

    Smite

    And that's just off the top of my head most of these Communities makes the Dead by daylight community look like a bunch of saints that feed the homeless.

  • @Volfawott said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/707132#Comment_707132

    That is the most naive statement I have ever read.

    Call of Duty

    Soulsborne

    League of Legends

    Overwatch

    Smite

    And that's just off the top of my head most of these Communities makes the Dead by daylight community look like a bunch of saints that feed the homeless.

    Yeah they are bad...but dbd is by far the worst. It is the nature of this game to have a bad community.

  • Sorry to break it to you, but your friend sounds like the typical autopilot casual. He's one of those people who seems to expect a game to hand him favorable results with zero investment or understanding. This is an especially unreasonable mindset to have in a PvP environment where your opponents are humans who will have varying skill sets and tendencies. He also seems to have an overall poor mentality for improvement (which is definitely rooted in the whole "autopilot casual" thing).

    It's also possible that he just despises the genre and will always be looking for some type of justification for not playing the game. If this is the case, there's nothing you can really do.

    I wouldn't let any of this discourage you. Entitled gamers like him (if the former is true) are becoming more and more common as popular game development has shifted towards instant gratification over long-term growth and satisfaction.

    You could throw him to this link but it'd probably be a waste of time for both of you if a couple bad experiences are enough to dissuade him entirely from playing the game. DbD just isn't one of those instant gratification things. You will need to earn your ability to compete with people who have already invested some time into it.

    On a final note, there are a ton of relaxing PvE (even some PvP) games out there that do a better job at holding a new player's hand through the learning experience. Perhaps you could try one of those?

1 2 ›