Rebuild Totems? Serious Discussion...
Ok, I know this is a hot-button issue and people will think this is a bait post, but it’s not. Please hear me out.
I think there could be strategic value to letting killers rebuild their totems and hexes, at nearly prohibitive time costs. This could be a perk or used at base, but imagine the possibilities.
Example:
Let’s say you cleanse Devour Hope after it has gotten 2 tokens. At that moment the killer picks up a survivor. Not wanting to waste a hooking phase without the hex, the killer drops the survivor and runs to a nearby broken totem.
He spends 30 seconds rebuilding the bones, and another 45 seconds igniting the hex flame. By this time, the slugged survivor is very like healthy again.
Sadly, the hex restored by this action is random, and the previously cleansed Ruin is returned to the game. Does the killer give up and get back to hunting, or go find another totem to fix?
In other scenarios, the killer may take the time to restore a totem before NOED activates. After the last gen, he’d have to fix AND ignite the totem.
Survivors that cleanse totems may decide to recheck the spots they remember in order to re-cleanse the hex (if they’re lucky), undo the killer's effort, and score another tidy sum of bloodpoints!
So? Waddyathink? (Please don’t hurt me!) 😏
Comments
Even if it took 10 seconds in total it probably wouldn't be worth it. The time you spent walking to it, missing hooking that survivor and having to hunt would be half of 2 gens done very easily.
While this would make survivors do totems it would be a nerf to NOED and all totems overall as before the last gen pops especially with SWF one could see where the killer is rebuilding it and relay the info.
Completely agree! Timing for repairs is editable, but this huge loss of hunting is why I think making this a possibility, maybe even at base-without perks, could be acceptable to both sides. Killers gain a powerful new option, but survivors definitely gain advantages and have strong counter-play if killers opt to rebuild. Killers may have to wait until they sacrifice a survivor who knows where a certain totem was.
I feel this makes it balanced. It allows us to add new options to the game without actually altering it. The option is there, but it may rarely be used unless the situation is just right.
And to your swf point, they’re always very powerful, but that’s a different issue altogether. The comms already affect far more than totems.
Its a decent idea but no hex perk is that powerful that you should sacrifice a whole match just to restore it. And random? Hell no. I already threw away the match to restore that totem, I don’t want to get Ruin back when I don’t need it.
Maybe ease the time penalty for rebuilding it (Say, make it 20 seconds to set up and 10 to light) and it'll be worth it. I like the idea, but that time penalty is way too long.
Maybe give the killer the ability to light dull totems to do that too.
I think that sounds pretty fair. Whatever number we go with, it needs to be harsh enough that survivors don’t come out in droves complaining about it.
The ability to light dull totems would make survivors think twice about passing one up if they see it, so I really like that idea!
I was also thinking about a limit of some sort. Imagine if each time you light a new hex, you destroy one of your basement hooks. Should we give the option to destroy all 4, or limit this to 3 so there’s always at least one remaining?
That might be a buff to Sabotaging in general though. You have to be careful with messing with the basement.
Killers can't waste time, it wouldn't be worth it, no matter the time. Plus, the place would be the same, so survivors could just break it another time (unless you don't wanna search for another broken dull totem, wasting even more time).
I say yeah this is fair tbh. at the same time though token perks should lose their gained tokens, or at the very least devour hope should. on the other hand haunted grounds should not be rebuildable.
Edit : could possibly have it that hooking someone in the basement lights a dull totem if a hex has been broken and there are dull totems remaining. if no dull totems are remaining could rebuild one randomly, as far as possible from survivors