Why were scratch marks decided to be the way killers would follow a running survivor's trail?
I'm just curious as to how the design decision came about and whether, like many other aspects of this game, the development over the years in the way players play the game has made this feature behave differently than the developers thought it would.
To anyone reading this: Would you change scratch marks in any way if you were a developer on the appropriate development team?
Comments
I don't really think they need changing but that's just me
I think they're okay.
Make sense lore wise, it shows the hunter's instinct in all the killers.
Because the chase music is intended to be too loud to hear the survivors :^)
Being serious, I think it's to create a drawback for the survivor running everywhere but performing actions quietly. It makes a trail that a killer can see from a distance and track you, forcing you to either slow down and take longer to escape an area that a killer is searching, or just book it and take the distance from running over the threat of being found.
My question was really: Why were scratch marks chosen over footsteps or some directional indicator. Was it just easier to code? Was it too unfair? Why do scratch marks spawn the way they do? Why was there no limit to how far away a scratch mark can spawn from a survivor until around 2.0? etc.