Thoughts Going Into PTB for Freddy

I'm hopeful overall for the Freddy changes. He seems like he has much more opportunity for mind games, while maintaining significantly better map pressure. Here are a few things I'm interested in learning, or are concerned about as we go into PTB:

  1. How will perks like Discordance and Surveillance impact matches with Freddy? Seems like both will be extremely powerful with him. Was this taken into consideration when creating his teleport power? Don't get me wrong, I look forward to running those with him, but I don't want it to be too easy. It seems like he could lock down the map pretty effectively, maybe even rival Nurse, if he uses those perks, plus proper use of Dream Snares.
  2. Dream Snares - I'd love for trapper or Hag to be able to drop traps on the move with no negative. Heck, I'd love to do the same when preparing to throw a bottle with Clown. But, there is a reason we have slow downs, or have to look down when setting traps. We learned that with Plague when she could charge and hold while maintaining speed. You can't loop or escape, or have very limited ability to do so. If I can drop 3-6 dream snares on the run while chasing you, you are not getting away and it won't take long to drop you. This is one of the top things I'll be concerned with. I don't want some nutty backlash that overly nerfs the whole process. I'd rather give a minor correction first.
  3. The Dream Pallets - I think this is going to be a very fun tool for mind games. It is totally able to be countered if the survivors pay attention to their surroundings, but can really surprise them if they don't. I would not mind seeing an addon or option to booby trap pallets for other killers in the future, based on this new Freddy ability.

There you go. A few things I feel are worth paying attention to as we hit PTB with Freddy. I think there is promise for fun mind games, but I fear a few things may need to be either buffed, or scaled back in places.

Comments

  • Frankly my only criticism is the lack of Aura reading. Takes a lot out of the "you can run but you can't hide" aspect

  • @ClogWench I thought that at first too, but after taking a closer look at all his other abilities, I think this would be too much. If he could see auras, plus teleport to gens, lay traps/trick pallets, he would be a bit too much and we would risk a huge nerf again, putting back to square one. As it is, we have not really seen his addons yet. Throw a powerful addon on or two into the mix and give him aura seeing and it would be like fishing in a barrel with dynamite.

  • Is that really so bad though? Other abilities could be tweaked to avoiding being overwhelmingly broken but as a killer, especially one known for having the best tracking, I feel like it could be good and would give solid inventive to get out of dream state. And it'd be much truer to his character. I don't think this new Freddy will be terrible but it doesn't sound like he'll see much top tier play cause all his abilities have limitations

    1. Your teleport is on a 45 sec cool down so even with discordance etc there’s nothing “op” about it.
    2. Dream snares only work while asleep so there’s the downside.
    3. Dream pallets feel situational and rely on survivors running back to areas you’ve dropped them in.

    Overall I think the teleport is his best new trait because of mobility but the dream world still seems nonthreatening.

  • @doitagain_ Actually, the dream pallets can be set up anywhere a pallet could go. You don't have to put them where old pallets were used. I think the dream pallets are going to be a lot of fun for mind games.

    As for the snares, I know they can only be used when survivors are asleep, but they are going to be seriously powerful if you can drop six of them while chasing someone. Loops should never happen if you have them asleep. Ever.