Autodidact Rework

Autodidact is a powerful perk in theory but when you actually run it you find that you struggle to stack it with default chances to trigger a Skill Check. Others have wondered why Autodidact doesn't affect self-healing which got me wondering about a potential rework for the perk.

Autodidact could use a rework but it would need to function in a very particular way to avoid being broken or remaining useless. Here's what I'm thinking:

You start the trial with a -25% progression penalty for all healing Skill Checks.

For every successful Skill Check completed while healing another Survivor, you receive a Token for a maximum of 3/4/5 Tokens.

Each Token grants you a +15% bonus progression for all successful Skill Checks while healing.

You have a 5/10/15% greater chance of triggering Skill Checks while healing.

Great Skill Checks cannot be performed while using Autodidact.

Autodidact is not active when healing another Survivor with a Med-Kit.

This would be another altruism perk that would promote healing other Survivors which would in turn empower your Self-Care should you choose to pair the perks. One of the key changes I suggest is the greater chance of triggering Skill Checks because at the moment Autodidact is a heavily RNG-dependent perk.

Some considerations that could also be made:

  • Once you have reached maximum stacks you lose the increased chance to trigger Skill Checks. This would balance the perk out to make it less of an insta-heal.
  • Autodidact is disabled if the Survivor is also running We'll Make It. The perks may be too powerful if ran together. Then again,
  • Smaller healing Skill Checks, perhaps the size of the old Decisive Strike. This would make the perk have a higher skill cap and reward players who run it successfully.

Let me know what you guys think! I figure I've covered all my bases but I'd like to see what everything thinks from a more objective point of view.

TL;DR Increased skill check chances with incentive to heal other Survivors to empower your own healing.

Comments

  • Even though autodidact isn't a particularly good perk I feel like survivors have enough healing power as it is. I'm against giving them anymore power in that area when the amount of team healing is actually pretty high.

  • @ReikoMori said:

    Even though autodidact isn't a particularly good perk I feel like survivors have enough healing power as it is. I'm against giving them anymore power in that area when the amount of team healing is actually pretty high.

    It takes 32 seconds to self heal...

  • It takes that long for a reason. You using self care alone should take the longest amount of time to heal. Self Care gives buffs to using medkits on yourself plus it wasn't made in a vacuum you've got botany knowledge to work with as well. The game is about team play so your team should be healing you more than anything else.

  • @ReikoMori said:

    Even though autodidact isn't a particularly good perk I feel like survivors have enough healing power as it is. I'm against giving them anymore power in that area when the amount of team healing is actually pretty high.

    @ReikoMori at the same time, having a diffrent option than We'll Make It is nice :d

  • I believe Autodidact would be in the perfect spot if it just increased the chances of triggering skillchecks. No other changes needed.